Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Cannot view Quotes after installing Ver. R27.24 (build 27.1.27.24) on 6/24/2020.

Answers

• Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Not great. That should be automated in the one step update. And in fact, wasn't that close to what it was doing Chris?

And one has to do that every time one does a OSU.
  • ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW,  Quotes from Fidelity updated early this morning after performing an OSU.  

<SECINFO><SECID><UNIQUEID>316345107<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><SECNAME>FIDELITY PURITAN<TICKER>FPURX<UNITPRICE>23.4800000<DTASOF>20200626033006.000[-4:EDT]<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.000<CURSYM>USD  </CURRENCY></SECINFO>
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    I find that "middle of the night" update interesting, but not how Quicken actually worked for me for what has to be 15 years or so.

I would do OSU's and the Fidelity Accounts as well as Quotes would change at any part of the day. If the market was open, two of my holdings would change in somewhat real time in Quotes (both ETF's) and as those changed it would change the account balance which was always based on the previous days close of market. It never reverted to a different value from before the market close if that makes any sense. Then after market close, the values for the day of my other than these two holdings would come in and update the accounts as they did until about 4 PM PST or so and the final daily value of the accounts would show regardless of whether all quotes on all holding had been posted yet or not. It ALWAYS agreed with that days balance at Fidelity.com. Might get out .02 or so, but if I checked at 4PM daily, the account balances in Quicken were the same as the account balances at Fidelity.

Now OSU does not change that daily account balance. Today is my second opportunity to test so will check a half dozen times today and see if I find anything different doing OSU and then Update quotes if I need to.

I think you are likely correct Chris that doing an Update after OSU should get me the effect of what OSU alone did before. So in effect OSU 24 hours ago would update transactions AND Quotes and now only Transactions.

Likely a long way around to say I think I get it :) And I think the fix is that simple perhaps.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    And just tested pre-market today and its becoming even more clear. Before yesterday I would never see the previous days Brokerage Acct Balance after the first and subsequent OSU's because, as Chris figured out and is slowly sinking in for me, OSU was grabbing both Transactions and Quotes. Now only transactions download with OSU and actually Quotes that might change during the clear in the Investment tab until updated manually. If we can convince Quicken to repair that, this would be good again.

And apologies for my angst, but I have not had an error free day since April 27 when I did the switch from 2017 to 2020. Some days have been brutal. Some just waiting for fixes. But I look forward to the day when 2020 is working as expected and I can stop posting in the community. At least for a while.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Well I just played with one of my Vanguard mutual funds and can get it to "not update".

Basically what seems to be common is that for both Fidelity and Vanguard they have yet to update their prices for the mutual funds today.

The difference is that Vanguard doesn't send a price for today.
    Whereas Fidelity sends a price and date, but it is for yesterday.

It has never been like this in many, many years. A first today!

That means that when when I do One Setup Update with both the financial institutions and the downloading of quotes on, the Vanguard ones get the prices from the downloaded quote service, and Fidelity gets the "yesterday one" sent by Fidelity.

Is suspect when the brokers really do send out their prices they show right in Quicken.

Disagree. As mentioned, ALWAYS worked by 4PM PST every day. For years!

But at any case it seems that Quicken Inc will need to rethink this to work around Fidelity's problem (most likely there will be other brokers doing the same thing).  It is highly unlikely that Fidelity will fix their problem.
    So what shall we do to be proactive and what will happen if I get a real transaction?

One more question please: How is it Win7 version asked if I wanted to update to 27.24 and Win 10 did it without asking or allowing a backup, etc? Is there a setting? I cannot find it. So why would two installs act differently?

Enough for one night :) Tell me what we should do to try to get this fixed Chris. I doubt Fidelity changed today.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

When you click on the Invest Tab of Quicken after the program, loads. And you have set Quotes for the default view, the Name field was too wide to view the Quotes.

You need to use the Mouse  and shorten the Name Column, to view the Quotes. The Quotes are not missing, just off the screen.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R27.42 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20175.1000

Information: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871028/quicken-bill-pay-discontinues-on-5-31-20-introducing-quicken-bill-manager

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @thecreator sorry, but you are way off base.  You like others should fully read what has been posted.  This isn't a connection problem, and isn't that people can't see the Quotes column.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 26
    Mid morning report: Working as expected after my new understanding, but not as i would prefer.

Update and Accounts have the starting balance of the day.
    Update Quotes and they appear and the Accounts balance changes to the proper current balance.

As I have said and believe more and more, two days ago OSU would do BOTH update Transactions and Quotes. Now only Transactions even though the change log notes say differently. Bug.

I've asked before who and how shall we report this? Perhaps when I get back later I shall call support.

After this post I'm going to stop monitoring it.  I can't express what happened any clearer.

First off Fidelity (and others) are doing this wrong.  And they have been doing it wrong for basically "forever".

If one person throws a paper on the ground, and then another person comes by an picks it up, then a third person comes by and doesn't see a paper on the ground.  The fact that the second person is "cleaning up" what the first person did wrong, doesn't mean that the first person isn't doing anything wrong even if the third person never sees it.

Fidelity is definitely doing something wrong, but in the past Quicken "cleaned up" after them in each of the "flows" of getting the quotes.

What has changed is when Quicken Inc stopped fetching the historical quotes they must have accidentally removed the "clean up" that was happening in One Step Update flow.

I pretty much bet that the reason the "clean up" was put in the flow in the first place is because long ago they ran into the same problem with financial institutions doing this same thing, and couldn't get them to do it right, so instead they put in this workaround (clean up).  Note that clearly this "clean up" is still in Update flow that happens when you select the Update button on the Investment tab.  That is the reason it behaves differently than the one in One Step Update.

What needs to happen is Quicken Inc has to find what was removed from this flow and put it back to again cover up these financial institution's mistakes.

In the mean time the user can workaround this problem by using the Update button on the Investment tab after they do a One Step Update.
  • dbaxfandbaxfan Member ✭✭
    Hi,

As of yesterday 6/25, and coincidentally since installing the latest Quicken update, my Holdings data is not updating.

When I use One Step Update or Update Transactions, Quicken connects to my TD America account, the progress bar appears green to 100%, completes, no error messages, and my transactions appear. However, my Holdings data is not updating.

I'm pretty sure, almost 100%, that it is caused by the latest Quicken update that I installed yesterday. Which is when the problem started. I did not install the Quicken update on my laptop and I'm still receiving my Holdings data.

I spoke with Quicken support yesterday. I shared screen, loaded an older backup file, connected, same results as above. Now wouldn't opening an older backup fie, using the Quicken application that had just been updated, cause the same problem if it was the update that was the problem? The Quicken tech told me the problem was on TD Ameritrade's end and to contact them.

So I emailed TD Ameritrade since they had over an hour hold wait time. Explained the problem and their tech support replied back......

Hello,

I apologize, but TD Ameritrade staff and Tech support are not able to answer Quicken Deluxe 2020 questions. You need to contact Quicken support and see if they can help you.
    Thank you for allowing me to assist you today and for choosing TD Ameritrade.

Can't say I didn't see that coming.

I thought by backing up a non-updated Quicken laptop version data file to my cloud drive, and then restoring it on my desktop would solve the problem, but it didn't. Again, my desktop Quicken version had already been updated. So then I thought, let me uninstall Quicken, reinstall, then open up a backup file from my non-updated Quicken laptop version. Good thought, but unfortunately during install Quicken automatically installs all current updates, grrrrrr!

Well that's where I'm at. I just want my Holdings data to update. If anybody has experienced this problem and can help me out thanks in advance!

PMT
  • dwl1960dwl1960 Member
    Thanks Chris & Bob for the sleuthing. I deal with software errors at work all day and the last thing I want to do when I come home is work on more. Have a great appreciation for your debug skills to isolate the issue. For now I can just hit update on the investing screen but it sure would be nice if it worked the way it did before. Thanks again guys.

Quicken PLEASE fix it.
  • Doug KlaneckyDoug Klanecky Member ✭✭
    Quicken for Windows Premiere, been using Quicken for literally decades, and the same reports for about the same amount of time. Everything has been nicely stable and predictable since the change to an on line product. Yesterday, I got the update notice when downloading quotes from the variety of investment providers. The totals all work like they have in the past, with the exception of the "Price Day Change" which is completely balnk, and the Day Gain/Loss calculation which all shows zeros now. Seems like a Quicken bug, but am not sure anyone else experiencing similar issues?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    When I do a One Step Update during the day, the stock quotes for today are just a copy of the close for yesterday. I tried deleting the price for today on all stocks, then doing the One Step Update again, but it still just makes a copy of yesterday's close, and puts it into today's quote.

Same thing happened yesterday, so I had to manually input them after the close yesterday.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

What needs to happen is Quicken Inc has to find what was removed from this flow and put it back to again cover up these financial institution's mistakes.

In the mean time the user can workaround this problem by using the Update button on the Investment tab after they do a One Step Update.

Totally agree and sorry if I have mucked up the waters at all. Sometimes it takes a little bit for the light bulbs to go off. But that is what's happening and hopefully a temporary workaround.

Is this the same with other brokerages or only Fidelity?
    Yes, none of my Holdings data is updating. Seems to connect fine, updates transactions, completes, no error messages, and no Holdings data updated. I also have this problem since installing the R27.24 update on 6/25. It is definitely the update, I didn't install it on my laptop and it works like always.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the hope of restoring a backup file from my laptop. Unfortunately during the reinstall Quicken automatically installs all current updates. No help from Quicken support, they told me to call TD Ameritrade.
    Hi,

As of yesterday 6/25, and coincidentally since installing the latest Quicken update, my Holdings data is not updating.

When I use One Step Update or Update Transactions, Quicken connects to my TD America account, the progress bar appears green to 100%, completes, no error messages, and my transactions appear. However, my Holdings data is not updating.

I'm pretty sure, almost 100%, that it is caused by the latest Quicken update that I installed yesterday. Which is when the problem started. I did not install the Quicken update on my laptop and I'm still receiving my Holdings data.

I spoke with Quicken support yesterday. I shared screen, loaded an older backup file, connected, same results as above. Now wouldn't opening an older backup fie, using the Quicken application that had just been updated, cause the same problem if it was the update that was the problem? The Quicken tech told me the problem was on TD Ameritrade's end and to contact them.

So I emailed TD Ameritrade since they had over an hour hold wait time. Explained the problem and their tech support replied back......

Hello,

I apologize, but TD Ameritrade staff and Tech support are not able to answer Quicken Deluxe 2020 questions. You need to contact Quicken support and see if they can help you.
    Thank you for allowing me to assist you today and for choosing TD Ameritrade.

Can't say I didn't see that coming.

I thought by backing up a non-updated Quicken laptop version data file to my cloud drive, and then restoring it on my desktop would solve the problem, but it didn't. Again, my desktop Quicken version had already been updated. So then I thought, let me uninstall Quicken, reinstall, then open up a backup file from my non-updated Quicken laptop version. Good thought, but unfortunately during install Quicken automatically installs all current updates, grrrrrr!

Well that's where I'm at. I just want my Holdings data to update. If anybody has experienced this problem and can help me out thanks in advance!

PMT
    Yeah, thanks for the response. IMO, it's not the investment house(s), because I have several different firms with accounts at each, that have always updated previously, now none of them do?

I'm guessing Quicken changed something and maybe all the investment houses aren't aware of the change, or maybe Quicken just screwed up....
    This worked, not sure why the normal One Step Update doesn't , but thanks!
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    so One Step Update no longer works for downloading stock process?
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW,

From your screenshot, the 6/25 price for CSCO is duplicating the previous 30.58 price of 12/15/2016. That is NOT correct. The correct closing price for 6/25 was 45.22.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
    @Jim_Harman thanks for pointing that out. I was able to delete that post which just confuses the real issues found.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > If you want to revert to R27.23, just uninstall Quicken and reinstall it.
    >
    > R27.24 is in "limited release mode".  As in they send it out automatically to a limited amount of people and then wait to make sure there isn't any problems before releasing to everyone.  If you install the Mondo patch during this period you are by definition joining that group of users that get it early.

@Chris_QPW I tried that but I still got R27.24.
    edited June 26
    @ferrad It seems that R27.24 is now the official release and not in limited user mode any more, so yes that is going to be the one you get.  So now if you want an older version you will have to download the old Mondo patch install from my website:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Edited:  When I installed old patches to check out where this was introduced I had to go back to R26.23.

But personally given all the other changes they have made and such, I would just live with hitting the Update button on the Investing tab -> Portfolio view until they fix it.
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Go to the Investing tab and select Update.
    >
    > For details please see above
    >
    > (Self-Referencing Link Removed)

This worked for me. Will take some getting use to though. Thanks!
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

Edited:  When I installed old patches to check out where this was introduced I had to go back to R26.23.

But personally given all the other changes they have made and such, I would just live with hitting the Update button on the Investing tab -> Portfolio view until they fix it.
    Agree on both counts. Knowing what we know now.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > @ferrad  It seems that R27.24 is now the official release and not in limited user mode any more, so yes that is going to be the one you get.  So now if you want an older version you will have to download the old Mondo patch install from my website:
    > http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    >
    > Edited:  When I installed old patches to check out where this was introduced I had to go back to R26.23.
    >
    > But personally given all the other changes they have made and such, I would just live with hitting the Update button on the Investing tab -> Portfolio view until they fix it.

Do Quicken know that it has to be fixed? Are they connected to this discussion? Sorry I'm new to these fora.
    ferrad said:

Do Quicken know that it has to be fixed? Are they connected to this discussion? Sorry I'm new to these fora.
    I don't know.  Most likely with a thread this active, but the official way to report a bug is with: Help -> Report a problem, or by contacting Quicken support.
    http://quicken.com/contact-support
  • ProfQuillProfQuill Member ✭✭
    Yesterday, after I was updated to 26.24, I thought my Fidelity quotes at around 7 PM looked right. Well today after OSU, I find my Fidelity quotes are all from yesterday, and as others have noted, the OFX clearly shows quotes as of 3:30 AM. So those prices ARE correct for that time even if woefully out-of-date.
    What makes it so insidious is because (I assume) the prices are for today's date, Quicken doesn't display the clock symbol indicating the price is 'stale' so you don't know that looking at your portfolio.
    And I guess Fidelity has always been doing it that way but Quicken was covering up that flaw.
    So part of this seems to fall back on Fidelity - why are they so insanely slow with reporting prices? It's not that way on their web site nor the data they supply for mutual funds that show up in any quote.
    Now I have an interesting wrinkle that shows something else. I happen to have a Preferred stock where nobody seems to agree on what the symbol should be - what comes from my account is NOT recognized by Quicken so the price is only updated at 3:30 AM from Fidelity, thus that security never did have a correct price for the day after I did my evening update. And looking at the price history, I only see the price, NOT the high/low or volume, which the brokerage doesn't report. Because Quicken doesn't recognize the symbol, that data is never filled in.

So what about a different brokerage? Vanguard's numbers are correct for the day and in addition, the hi/lo/volume data is there. So where did that come from? I dug up a symbol from Vanguard, here's a piece:

<SECNAME>VISHAY PRECISION GROUP INC<TICKER>VPG<UNITPRICE>22.27<MEMO>Price as of date based on closing price</SECINFO>

An entry from Fidelity shows:

<SECNAME>AGNC INVT CORP COM<TICKER>AGNC<UNITPRICE>13.1900000<DTASOF>20200626033006.000[-4:EDT]<CURRENCY><CURRATE>1.000<CURSYM>USD </CURRENCY>

Note that the record looks quite different with respect to DTASOF vs. closing price.

Whew. So I see a few things here, Fidelity is extremely delayed reporting a price. Quicken thinks the price is current I guess because it has today's date.
    What algorithms Quicken uses to get the extended data, I can't say.

I did the Update Quotes from the Investing screen and all the data was filled in as others have seen [other than my non-standard Preferred], so that gets me back on track. I'll leave now and let the Quicken brain trust figure out how best to address this issue.