Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Cannot view Quotes after installing Ver. R27.24 (build 27.1.27.24) on 6/24/2020.

123457»

Answers

• Ron Strong
    Ron Strong Windows Beta Beta
    Why does everyone seem to be sure that this is limited to Fidelity????👀
    Premier Subscription
    There are no bugs, just unintended features,

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think we do believe its Fidelity only. Seems like it could be ANY brokerage. In my case, it is only Fidelity that I have and where I noticed all my issues. Others have mentioned TD Ameritrade if I recall.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just tested a test build including the proposed fix. Works just like it did before the update for me. In other words updating everything as I was used to with OSU. I'm now back to 27.28 awaiting an official release when they can. No timeline but its all ok. Was a pleasure working with their team.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Why does everyone seem to be sure that this is limited to Fidelity????👀
    As Bob said this is certainly not limited to just Fidelity.
    It would show up for any broker that sends the prices for yesterday, today with today's date.
    And that is mainly tied to when they do the updates for the prices they send to Quicken.

I happen to know that Vanguard updates these prices late in the same night, and as such their price/date line up with what you might expect.  As in the closing price for 7/8/2020 will have a date of 7/8/2020 on it.

Fidelity (and others) on the other hand update their prices for Quicken early in the next morning.  So the closing prices for 7/8/2020, will have 7/9/2020 on them, which makes Quicken believe that they are for 7/9/2020 when they are really for 7/8/2020.

The reason that this hasn't been a problem in the past is the prices from the quote service were replacing the ones provided by the broker when you did One Step Update.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW even after the fix for getting that will have One Step Update again replacing the "stale" broker prices with the current quote service price the underline "problem" with the broker prices will remain.  Over the years these problems have been reported, but in fact there is little that Quicken can do about it.

In other words say you run One Step Update before the markets open.  In this case you don't have a price from the quote service, but for brokers like Fidelity you will have a price for the day which is in fact the closing price for yesterday.  And the same thing will happen on Saturday or on any holiday after the market closed the day before.
    Signature:
  • MarkRLV
    MarkRLV Member
    Having the same problem and I don't have Fidelity. OSU seems to get yesterday's prices. I had never used Investing/Portfolio/Update prior to the last few days. That does seem to correct the problem, but that does turn OSU into 2SU. Seems like something that should be corrected ASAP. I have R27.28. This upgrade was not an "optimization" for me.
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭
    @MarkRLV You described my situation exactly. OSU became 2SU effective with R27.24. There's been an awful lot of discussion regarding Fidelity which to me seems to be missing the point of the original post. But as long as Q developers don't focus on Fidelity only, maybe we'll get back to a OSU.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @MarkRLV and @shelquis and any others that see this thread.  See the Accepted Answer that should be on the first page of this thread, and can also be accessed by selecting this link:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20104440/#Comment_20104440

The developers have already found the cause of this problem and tested a fix, it is now just waiting for when that fix makes it to a patch release.

And it has been noted several times the accounts don't have to be from Fidelity, it is just the most popular broker where people have seen the problem, it isn't the "only one".
    Signature:
  • rshearin
    rshearin Member ✭✭
    Nah, TD Ameritrade has the same problem. Chris replied to my message saying to hit ctrl U after doing the one step update. It worked before the market close showing yesterday's closing numbers but wouldn't repeat this evening after the market close. I discovered that hitting the "Update" button in the upper right hand corner of the investing page worked (where the three buttons are Update, Reports, and Tools.)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    rshearin said:
    Nah, TD Ameritrade has the same problem. Chris replied to my message saying to hit ctrl U after doing the one step update. It worked before the market close showing yesterday's closing numbers but wouldn't repeat this evening after the market close. I discovered that hitting the "Update" button in the upper right hand corner of the investing page worked (where the three buttons are Update, Reports, and Tools.)
    Just so other know (replied in the other thread to this) I actually said:
    Ctrl+U -> Update

As in Ctrl+U is the shortcut to take you to the Investing/Portfolio View and then once there you press the Update button to download the quotes from Quicken third party quote service.
    Signature:
  • MBT
    MBT Member
    I am totally with all of the above! It's not the customer's fault - it's Quicken's.

Quicken has been my workhorse for over 20 years, tracking my over 40 accounts on a daily basis. I would not mind paying the steadily rising cost, but the quality of the product has gone down. Tech support can fix small problems, but they cannot fix the system itself. It is increasingly making mistakes, leaving me to fix them. I've had to rebuild my accounts in Quicken several times in the last few years. (Twice this year!)

To make an analogy, each time it's like they have torn down my house, thrown back to me the parts, and left me to rebuild the house. It is the constant rebuilding that kills me.

I see no way to cope with this much longer, unless Quicken comes up with some solutions. I would happily pay twice the price to get back a reliable system.
  • MBT
    MBT Member
    edited July 2020
    [removed - inaccurate]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @MBT you should look at the accepted answer to this thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20104440/#Comment_20104440
    Signature:
  • MBT
    MBT Member
    I am having the same Quicken problems downloading updates to my many (over 60) FIDELITY accounts. I have been using Quicken for over 20 years. It used to be a solid tool for me, but it has become increasingly unreliable in the last couple of years ago, and it has been getting worse.

Quicken tech support is come to my aid many times, and sometimes it has actually helped me. But I have had to go back to them so often that they no longer take my calls.I can't blame them,. The problem is not them or me - it's that the system has become fragile and unreliable, such that it cannot be as reliable as it used to be.

Currently, I understand that FIDELITY (where I and my family have over 60 accounts) and QUICKEN have been unable to download accurately for almost 2 weeks.

All this is driving me nuts, and I don't know how long I can put up with it.

Does anyone have any good ideas?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    MBT said:

Does anyone have any good ideas?
    Yes actually read what has been said instead of just posting the same thing over and over and ignoring it.

And to repeat in ONE MORE time.
    Follow a One Step Update with going to the Investing tab/Portfolio view (Ctrl+U does this) and press the Update button.
    Signature:
  • MBT
    MBT Member
    Sorry, Chris - I am not used to this site... (7 pages in)

The proposed Quicken Download method worked great for me on my first few tries, and I greatly appreciated the post.

I thought I had sent an entry saying I had tried the recommended solution and it seemed to be working for me. But I don't see that posting anywhere.

It appears to me that my postings keep disappearing before I am finished making my points, and then I try again, and it happens again. I have one hanging up now... maybe there is a delay time...

For now I guess I will just keep my trap shut until I give it couple of days of testing and to see if more of my writings show up.

Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @MBT In that case it is I that should be sorry.  I was going off of what I saw, which I  see is only part of what you posted.

I think I can explain what is happening to those posts too.
    As a measure to stop spamming this site automatically pushes some posts from people that don't have enough "points" past the moderators.  And it tends to do that more, the more frequently you post.  And those comments will not show up until a moderator approves them.

Note when this happens there will be a notification that pops up in the lower, left of the screen for a few seconds.  It is very easy to miss if you don't know to look for it after you have submitted your comment.
    Signature:
  • MBT
    MBT Member
    Thanks, Chris.
    Well, the world is missing reading my well-written text about how Quicken could be improved...
    -------------
    I needlessly wasted several days just trying to figure out what was going on with my Quicken, on which I rely.
    -------------
    Problems happen everywhere - it's the hiding of them that is hard to forgive.

One suggestion is that when something this big goes wrong in Quicken, we users should immediately be told about it, and then be kept informed until it fixed.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Chris_QPW ,

Where does one view Quotes, if not on the Invest Tab?
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21364.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @thecreator One place that comes to mine is the Holdings view in the register, and of course another is the security history list.  But note that "viewing directly" isn't the only way this problem comes up.  Those prices feed out to all the calculations that are done for your reports, you account balances, and such.
    Signature:
  • MichaelCortese
    MichaelCortese Member ✭✭
    My quotes stopped updating (I believe with the last update). I have the setting checked (Download quote and investment information) and it shows it in the progress window. However, the quotes are usually (maybe never) downloaded. I have to do it manually.
  • bondtracker
    bondtracker Member
    I worked with Fidelity Quicken Support today. We created an entirely new Quicken file, set up my Fidelity accounts, downloaded the holdings from Fidelity, then did a one step update. Again, the price history show only the yesterday' closing price - no hi, lo or vol. I did a download "historical prices" and all prices were brought up-to-date correctly.

So we concluded I did not have a data file problem.

This problem is similar to a problem with Fidelity quote prices downloading correctly with Quicken. It is probably at least 5 years ago. At the time Fidelity said is was not their problem as they do not include price information in their down load data. What they do down load is Security name or symbol, number of shares, and total value of those shares. Thus if you divide the total value by the number of shares, you get yesterday's closing price. The Quicken program must perform that calculation. I also have a Schwab account and this does not occur with OSU if I do not include the Fidelity accounts in the OSU. When Fidelity is included in the OSU, those share in Schwab that are also in the Fidelity account are also affected. What ever calculation Quicken is doing with the Fidelity downloaded data overrides the data from the Quote Service.

Perhaps there is a calculation within this updated revision of Quicken that places this resulting yesterday's closing price in the current price field.

I told Quicken Support, If you have an long time programmer employee, they might remember this prior problem and how it was fixed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    At the time Fidelity said is was not their problem as they do not include price information in their down load data. What they do down load is Security name or symbol, number of shares, and total value of those shares. Thus if you divide the total value by the number of shares, you get yesterday's closing price. The Quicken program must perform that calculation.
    Whoever you talked to doesn't know what they are talking about.
    The evidence is in the OFX log, which is a direct dump(EDIT, I did reformat it so that it is easier to read) of that Fidelity sent.
    From an update I just did.

<SECLISTMSGSRSV1>
            <SECLIST>
                <MFINFO>
                    <SECINFO>
                        <SECID>
                            <UNIQUEID>315912600
                            <UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP
                        </SECID>
                        <SECNAME>FIDELITY SMALL CAP DISCOVERY FUND
                        <TICKER>FSCRX
                        <UNITPRICE>19.7200000
                        <DTASOF>20200725033008.000[-4:EDT]
                        <CURRENCY>
                            <CURRATE>1.000
                            <CURSYM>USD
                        </CURRENCY>
                    </SECINFO>
                    <MFTYPE>OTHER
                    <DTYIELDASOF>20200725033008.000[-4:EDT]
                </MFINFO>
            </SECLIST>

$19.72 is the Friday closing price for FSCRX.
    And notice this date: 2020-07-25 03:30:08
    20200725033008.000[-4:EDT]

Note two things one, this isn't new, it has been this way for years.
    What is new is that when they optimized the downloading of the quotes from their quote service in One Step Update they skipped some code that works around this kind of problem that Fidelity and few other brokers have in their data.

And Quicken Inc as put that workaround code back in and put out a patch to a limited amount of users to make sure that it is OK before releasing it to the general public.
    You can download the manual patch if you like from here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    Signature:
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Interesting Chris. I did not know the patch had been released. I check daily for updates, but nothing.

Is it better to wait until Check for Updates finds it or just use the file you point to?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    Interesting Chris. I did not know the patch had been released. I check daily for updates, but nothing.

Is it better to wait until Check for Updates finds it or just use the file you point to?
    Its up to you if you want to update manually or not.  They will release it in a few days to everyone if there aren't any serious problems reported with it.  I updated to it without any problems, but I'm "magically blessed" when it comes to things like this.   :D
    Signature:
  • weshough
    weshough Member ✭✭
    The update was sent to me via an one step update yesterday. It specifically states that it is designed to correct the investment quotes problem. I installed the update and it works fine just as before the earlier update that seemed to create this issue.
  • ProfQuill
    ProfQuill Member ✭✭
    I just got my offered OSU update on 7/28, let it happen, and looks good. However, I had only one instance in the last week or so when this issue appeared on my Fidelity accounts, seems like a timing issue. I think I'll close the tab on my browser following this, seems like a resolved issue. Well maybe give it a day or two to see what you folks might comment.
This discussion has been closed.