How to troubleshoot "Unable to open source file" error

What logs, processes can be stopped trying to figure out the reason this error occurs? We know Q stops or closes the source file then reopens it. How do you find the app which is causing the issue of failure to re-open?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well there isn't going to be any log file that is going to capture this.  There might be some applications that look to see what application has the data file locked, but I don't have any that I use so I can't recommend any.  But even those might not be useful if whatever is locking the data file releases it faster than you can check.

In general you are looking to see if your data file is in any folder that is being synced to the "cloud"/Internet, like Dropbox, OneDrive, ...  Note that it is a common practice to use OneDrive to backup all your personal files, and that includes the ones in your Documents.  And the default place for the Quicken data file is in Documents\Quicken.  I moved my Quicken data file to C:\Quicken for this reason.

Sometimes it can be the anti-virus software that is scanning/locking the file.  You can turn it off temporary to test.  Not that Windows 10's built in anti-virus software doesn't have this problem.

And one last note, I seen Quicken itself cause this kind of problem without any other program being involved.  This usually shows up as it sometimes works and some times doesn't.  There seems to be a timing problem with it releasing the lock for closing the file and then reopening it.  I think I even saw some mention of it in one of the patches where they said they fixed it.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rich Stubby
    Rich Stubby Member ✭✭
    Thank you Chris. I have two backup programs that could interfere but I have disabled the "Cloud" apps plus I'm using a local C:\ folder and a USB stick to backup to. I'm suspicious of the Netgear ReadyShare Vault which may be monitoring the data flow causing latency issues? Not sure how to turn the "Vault" off yet. It's interesting that with the "Vault" active on my laptop it works fine in the few sample tries. All this started after replacing my Motherboard and getting back 'on-line'. So there is much to be suspicious of.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well looking at this documentation on it:
    https://kb.netgear.com/21565/How-to-use-the-ReadySHARE-Vault-Software

It seems like you have to put the folders you want backed up into the settings.
    Do you have your Quicken folder in those settings?
    If not it shouldn't be the problem.

If you do have it in there the suggestion would be that what you want to do is manual backups to another folder, and backup that folder instead of the one where you have your "active" Quicken data file.
    Signature:
  • Rich Stubby
    Rich Stubby Member ✭✭
    Chris; while ReadyShare Vault appears to have a user-friendly interface I am having trouble finding exclusions and ways to disable backing up my Quicken data under the Vault. (I selected Smart Selection at first; then the regular way). I did DISABLE a service running under the Vault called Genie Timeline which solved the mystery and proved that the Vault application is indeed interfering with the Quicken back up. As soon as I disable this 'Timeline' service and reboot my machine, Quicken works great. As soon as I activate the Vault it quits. Thanks for your help in this matter. I am now turning the issue over to Netgear and Genie9 (their Vault app).
  • Rich Stubby
    Rich Stubby Member ✭✭
    OK Chris: It's solved completely. My data files were embedded within my Documents folder which was (apparently) under the watchful eye (Software) of Genie Timeline (looking for changed files). So I removed my Quicken file folder from Documents and put it at the ROOT; C:\Quicken and that fixed the issue. Now ReadyShare Vault is not backing up the financial files (a.k.a., Quicken) found inside the directory (Documents) folder nor looking for changes where they once were.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rich Stubby  Glad to hear you got it figured out.

The truth is that even though Quicken is "doing the right thing" by selecting the default to be in the Documents folder, given that these days more and more people are backing up that folder using cloud storage of one type or another.  They might have rethink that default.

But in truth if they would just fix their handling of the locks then most of these backup/cloud folders would work fine.  Almost all of them treat the locks correctly.  It is the fact that Quicken releases the file lock between certain operations that causes all the problems.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Actually it isn't even "cloud folders" most backup programs are going to treat the locks the same way.  And who do you know doesn't backup their Documents folder?

Whoever they are, they are in for a world of hurts if their drive crashes.

Quicken Inc really should fix this problem one way or another.
    Signature:
  • OTTM
    OTTM Member
    This is ridiculous. Fix Quicken! This problem is recent for me, as in a few weeks or couple of months only. I have not installed any new software or malware apps. I should not have to be a technical wizard to fix a back-up problem.
This discussion has been closed.