Help! R27.24 Won't Open My File After Update!

I'm a long-time Quicken/Win user. Financial life revolves around it. Opened it this morning, did a one-step update, it downloaded a bunch of transactions in different accounts, and said there was an update to R27.24. I took it.

Now it won't open my data file. I enter the data file password, it says "Validating.." then "Validation has completed." Then "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is damaged." It was fine five minutes ago!! Says to restore a backup. I back up my computer every night, so I have that, but I'll lose all of the transactions it just downloaded. I also think it wouldn't help, it's the same file!

Can I revert to the previous version? I knew I shouldn't trust a new update. Hoping this is a known issue with a fix, but I have urgency in terms of financial things to do, bills to pay, etc.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What you might want to try first, if you haven't already done so, is to exit Quicken, reboot it and then see if your data file will load properly.  It could be that your data file was corrupted but I think it's more likely that a reboot of Quicken will resolve the issue for you.
    If that still doesn't work, try restoring your backup.  During the restoration process you will be given the opportunity to save the restored file as a copy (i.e., with a new name).  If you save it as a copy your original data file will not be overwritten and you won't lose those transactions you just downloaded.
    If it were me, I would do the steps above, first, as they are less disruptive than reverting to an earlier version.  And if they don't work, you can still do the reversion afterward.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R36.23 on Windows 10)
  • Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    edited June 2020
    Yes, you can do all of the above. Uninstall quicken, reboot, disconnect from the internet and reinstall from download or media, and reconnect/download/install the mondo patch to whatever version you were on. Restore your data file. Run validate again, make sure everything is fine. If you update again, it'll just download the transactions again.
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited June 2020
    Another option to consider:  When I've updated the program from within Quicken sometimes I've found it doesn't update properly.  When that happens I download and install the Mondo Patch which usually fixes the problem.  You can get the Mondo Patch here:  https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product.
  • Diver42420
    Diver42420 Member ✭✭
    Ok, I first rebooted the laptop and tried again. That didn't work.
    Then I installed the Mondo patch, rebooted, tried again with internet off, that didn't work. Not a confidence-builder in the software that I trust my financial life to.l
  • Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Sounds like its time to chat/call quicken support: https://www.quicken.com/support
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • Boatnmaniac
    @Diver42420 - Did you try recovering from your backup file?  Data files sometimes do get corrupted.  Note:  If the backup file is made from you main data file right after you'd updated it, then it might be corrupted, as well.  If you can't open that backup file then you might need to go back to the next most recent backup file which should be good.
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    I'm having a similar issue. Immediately after applying the update and when quicken reopens - the application crashes and I get a bug splat message. a couple days back i was able to do a fresh clean install of quicken and reinstall (which happened to be the older version) and that resolved my issue. Today I received the notification of a new update and I made the mistake of updating thinking I wouldnt get a different result. unfortunately now I can't download the older version of quicken so Im stuck

To make matters worse - somehow my quicken account got locked during all of this so I'm not able to login with my quicken ID from the quicken desktop app...support just told me I need to wait a few hours and try again...still wont solve the quicken crashing issue.

I have a hunch that this is related to the recent windows update because it didnt crash on my other machine
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    I rolled back my windows build to previous version and still same issue... definitely something wonky with this latest patch
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    I was able to resolve the issue by rolling back to R26.23 (was only able to do that by running the install with no internet connection so it didnt auto-download the update)
  • ekoifman
    ekoifman Member
    Had the same issue. Went to File/File operations/Validate And Repair - fixed it
This discussion has been closed.