Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Can I manually update some accounts while doing the One Step Update for others?

I am just setting up my accounts in Quicken after purchasing a subscription yesterday. I am the Representative Payee for 2 of my daughters and need to keep track of those accounts. They are not allowed to be monitored online & can only be accessed via cash & check - old school. All of my personal accounts are part of my online banking. Can I manually update 2 of my accounts but do the One Step Update for all my other accounts?

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Yes you can.  Setting up the manual entry accounts isn't obvious so here is how you do it.
    Select the + on the Account bar to bring up the Add Account dialog.
    Select the account type and then the "Advanced Setup" link at the bottom of the dialog.
    In the dialog that comes up you can select "I want to enter my transactions manually".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You really want to setup separate Quicken data files for each of your daughters.  It is a bad practice to co-mingle the information of different tax entities in the same Quicken data file.
    You can have as many different Quicken data files as you want, they will all be independent from the others.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Yes you can.  Setting up the manual entry accounts isn't obvious so here is how you do it.
    Select the + on the Account bar to bring up the Add Account dialog.
    Select the account type and then the "Advanced Setup" link at the bottom of the dialog.
    In the dialog that comes up you can select "I want to enter my transactions manually".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You really want to setup separate Quicken data files for each of your daughters.  It is a bad practice to co-mingle the information of different tax entities in the same Quicken data file.
    You can have as many different Quicken data files as you want, they will all be independent from the others.
  • lisamdr
    lisamdr Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > You really want to setup separate Quicken data files for each of your daughters.  It is a bad practice to co-mingle the information of different tax entities in the same Quicken data file.You can have as many different Quicken data files as you want, they will all be independent from the others.

Thank you! That is an excellent point! My daughters are still minors, so the tax implications here are different than if they were over 18. But, yes, point well taken and am now deleting the accounts and putting in a separate data file.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Another thing is that when they are old enough, they can be responsible for their own updates and not be messing around in your data file.
This discussion has been closed.