Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Duplicate downloaded entries after R27.24 Build 27.1.27.24

Just updated yesterday and after downloading all my data I noticed when accepting investment transactions it was going into the register multiple times (or the software is allowing it to be hit after accepted) forcing me to delete the duplicates. Never saw this one before.

Please advise on fix

Best Answer

Answers

• ssohanissohani Member
    I am facing the same problem after latest update on Quicken for Windows. I remember this has happened in the past(1-2 years ago) and got fixed subsequently. I tried support and they don't seem to be aware of it
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @Frank DeMello and @ssohani

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

We'll need a bit more information to be able to assist.

What is the name of the financial institution and what is the connection method?

To locate the connection method, please Choose the Tools menu in the upper left then select Account List. Click Edit next to your account, then choose the Online Services tab at the top and provide the connection type being used.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • ssohanissohani Member
    I am having problems with Schwab and Fidelity. Connection method is "direct connect" on both
  • Frank DeMelloFrank DeMello Member ✭✭
    Hello - for me I'm noticing this in Wealthscape Investor. Setup for Direct Connect. Was fine before the last update. Thank you
  • mrnic408mrnic408 Member ✭✭
    edited June 28
    I am having this same issue since installing this update.
    I have had it with two different accounts. One is a banking account (Express Web Connect - Meriwest Credit Union), and an investment account (Direct Connect - Morgan Stanley).
    I have also experienced this behavior across two different data files.

One other interesting behavior with this... Duplicate transactions happen when I click the small accept button which is directly below the highlighted transaction. There is NOT a duplicate transaction when I click the Larger 'accept' button at the bottom of the 'accept transactions' sectioni.
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28
    mrnic408 said:
    One other interesting behavior with this... Duplicate transactions happen when I click the small accept button which is directly below the highlighted transaction. There is NOT a duplicate transaction when I click the Larger 'accept' button at the bottom of the 'accept transactions' sectioni.
    Yes, very interesting, and I noticed this the other day, as well. The account is Quicken E*Trade, and the connection is DC. Build 27.1.27.24. Fortunately, there was only one transaction, so I only had to delete the one duplicate.

Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
    I found if I do one at a time and leave the account it works. Very cumbersome though. Will try the larger button. Thanks mrnic408
  • Zunka72Zunka72 Member ✭✭
    I am having the exact same problem with all my Vanguard accounts since the Quicken upgrade on June 26.

I am pressing the small "accept" button below the downloaded transaction in the bottom window. I noticed it does not duplicate if you have only one transaction. This is a bug that Quicken must fix ASAP.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8
    I am having the same problem with downloaded Vanguard transactions using QWin R27.24.

Like @Zunka72, I see the problem if I click on the small Accept button in the Downloaded transactions area, and the problem only occurs if there is more than one transaction to accept. 

There is a delay of several seconds with no progress indication after clicking the small Accept button, but I am sure I did not click more than once.

I did not study it carefully but I think the duplicate transaction only appears when you move to the next transaction in the download list.

[update July 8]
    Here are the details of what happens. In this case there were 2 downloaded transactions - a Div and a Bought of the money market fund.
    -- Accept the Div using the little Accept button below the transaction in the Downloaded Transactions area
    -- The Div is marked c for cleared in the transaction list and the highlight in the downloaded transactions area moves down to the Bought transaction. So far so good
    -- Accept the Bought with its button in the downloaded transactions area
    -- A duplicate of the Div transaction, also with a c, appears in the transaction list along with the Bought

I must delete the duplicate Div transaction for the transaction list to be correct.

If I use the big Accept button at the bottom of the downloaded transactions area, it does not duplicate the transaction.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a "phantom" duplicate transaction? In other words, a duplicate of the just accepted transaction remains in the new transaction line and it disappears if you scroll the register or switch to a different register and back. It's not really recorded unless you hit enter on the new transaction line.
    Looks to me like a programmer made a change and removed / forgot to clear the new transaction line after "accept".
    Nope. I will enter at least 2 distinct transactions into the register. I am having a bit better luck with the larger Accept button as well but Quicken needs to get this fixed
  • hvphxhvphx Member
    I have a similar issue. When I download investment transactions from Nationwide (download is initiated from their website), When I select "accept" my transactions are either A) going in twice or B) not going in at all and Quicken seems to freeze up. I am using Windows version: Year 2020 version 27.28 build 27.1.27.28
  • kmagnushkmagnush Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue. Happens on both Morgan Stanley and Fidelity. I sent the reports twice from Quicken (last Saturday and today).
  • Rob TaftRob Taft Member ✭✭
    Same problem with NBT Bank. Downloaded a QFX file manually from the website with the default 2 months worth of transactions selected and everything that I had downloaded previously and reconciled showed up as a new transaction. I had to delete 6 weeks worth of transactions. Capital One CC did not have this issue when downloading.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob Taft said:
    Same problem with NBT Bank. Downloaded a QFX file manually from the website with the default 2 months worth of transactions selected and everything that I had downloaded previously and reconciled showed up as a new transaction. I had to delete 6 weeks worth of transactions. Capital One CC did not have this issue when downloading.

If you switch between One Step Update and Webconnect (manually downloading a QFX file from the website), you will get duplicate transactions.
    Reason: The QFX file contains transaction numbers (FITID) that are different from the ones generated during OSU. That makes Quicken assume they are new, never before seen transactions.
    I agree with an earlier comment, btw. The duplicate transactions only happen for me when I process them from top to bottom. Going bottom up works fine. Unsetttling that Quicken is taking so long to resolve this.
  • pnwoldiepnwoldie Member ✭✭
    Glad to find this thread, this is happening to my Vanguard transactions. I have to go and delete one of every transaction. I've been processing from top to bottom and clicking the small Accept button, so I will try the tips here. I'm on 2020 R27.28 27.1.27.28 on Windows 10
    Is Quicken support looking into this?
    Frustrating how often this software is broken in an update. And the lack of urgency to fix it
  • mrnic408mrnic408 Member ✭✭
    > @Frank DeMello said:
    > Frustrating how often this software is broken in an update. And the lack of urgency to fix it

I agree @Frank DeMello . @Quicken_Tyka was kind enough to pop in and ask some questions when you started this thread now almost 2 weeks ago. Since then, answers have been provided along with more confirmations of the bug, but crickets from Quicken....
    This is worse than I thought. Not just Vanguard. It has made duplicates of credit card purchase and payment transactions, and put them in different accounts under different categories. It just took me an hour to log into all my accounts, compare transactions, and delete the ones that are wrong.

I have Quicken to make things easier, I don't want to have to concentrate that hard on a regular basis. Is this going to fixed? If I put in a support ticket, will there be any notifications or information about what is going on? I've used Quicken for decades, and this is a very bad bug.
    To answer Quicken_Tyka's question from above:
    Credit union accounts and Vanguard accounts all use Direct Connect
    Credit cards use an amalgam of Direct Connect, Express Web Connect, and Express Web Connect +, with one apparently being broken (Improve Connection) but I haven't used it lately.

Sometimes it picked a bracket category for transfers, and used that for a purchase transaction. Like when you make a credit card payment from the checking account, it uses the transfer brackets so it doesn't debit the transactions again. It was a huge mess.

Is there a way to stop Quicken from assigning categories temporarily and let me pick them?
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    @pnwoldie Just go edit >> Preferences >> Downloaded Transactions, and uncheck the box "Automatically Categorize Transactions".

Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • denmarfldenmarfl Member ✭✭✭
    Has anyone experience this issue....which I have been experiencing for about 2 weeks....

Working in Investment registers; click on Downloaded Transaction to save it, the 1st time I click on it the Transaction goes into the register but in the Downloaded window it still shows as ready to save, click on it the 2nd time it saves and shows accepted.  However, the Register has that Transaction Twice...and in order to correct this I must delete one of the duplicated Transactions.  I have validated the Data File...some minor issues ...no action needed.....    

Doesn't Quicken support find it strange that so many people are reporting a problem? It would be appreciated if Quicken would acknowledge the problem and start working on it.
    Tyka, Have you read what everyone is posting? The duplicate transactions appears after a successful download. Processing the transactions from the top, using the small accept button, causes Quicken to create a duplicate transaction. Does not happen when using the large Accept button. Nor does it happen when going from the bottom up, even using the small accept button.
  • jmpinternetjmpinternet Member ✭✭
    I use the large "ACCEPT" button initially when I am confronted with many investment transactions. But at Quicken's instruction, I have to use the small "Accept" button for most sell transactions because it is necessary to select for each how to compute the cost basis for what is sold -- Select shares or Average Cost Basis, for examples. Last month, with Quicken Version R27.28, I discovered with a bunch of effort that nine SELL transactions had been duplicated.
    Quicken seldom, if ever, remembers the cost basis selected for transactions from any broker. Is there a way around this?
  • jmpinternetjmpinternet Member ✭✭
    Append to my prior post (can't edit). I overlooked kmagnush's remark about processing transactions from the bottom up to avoid (?) the problem. I'll try this and report my observations.
  • leranzoleranzo Member
    edited July 14
    1. When updating my accounts with the banks and stock broker i get buy entries twice. Yes Entered two times.
    2. The accounting record at Schwab is displayed in .0000 four positions after the period; This is because a few weeks ago Schwab went to what they call "SLICE" buy and selling. To allow those with smaller accounts to buy part s of a share.
    I used the large Accept button when accepting transactions from the top down, and that works. I was also able to enter the compute basis for sold securities. Problem is to retrain myself to just use the large Accept button in the meantime, if Quicken ever decides to fix the problem.