Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Investments (Windows)

Have the Investing Dashboard Top Movers (new in 27.20) show info for last active trading day

SnowmanSnowman Member ✭✭✭✭
As it stands now the Top Movers section only shows during days when there is active trading, leaving those who want to analyze their investments on the weekend in a fix.  If should be programmed to show the last active trading day (ie Friday) so that is is still available on the weedends.
13 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would propose that rather than automatically showing the last trading day, the Dashboard be changed so that you can specify an As of date, like the Investing Portfolio views. 

The default should be today and and it should be semi-sticky, i.e. it reverts to today when you restart Quicken  but remembers your selection while Quicken is running,

As it is, the Top movers only works for mutual funds between about 7 PM eastern time and midnight Monday-Friday, after today's NAVs have been updated.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Jim's suggestion, and I'd also like to suggest that rather than limiting it to top movers on a single day, for longer term investors it would be helpful to be able to select a date range. So for example, which of my funds have performed the best over the period of the recent covid-19 induced volatility?  Or which of my funds performed best over the last year?  
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is "Top Movers" solely based on day to day price change?
    Anyone know how "Top Movers" is handling splits?
    If a spinoff occurs and the price drops accordingly, is that factored in? (likely a negative mover, and likely not factored in)
    Those sort of issues would become more important (more likely to be a factor) as the date range extended.  
    I agree a day-to-day "Top Mover" is not likely to be of interest to me but it might catch my attention as something to watch more closely.
    I think the existing Investment performance report or average annual return numbers are better answers to the "what performed best" question.   
  • Dan GlynhamptonDan Glynhampton SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:

I think the existing Investment performance report or average annual return numbers are better answers to the "what performed best" question.   
    I tend to agree, the average annual return is the figure I always turn to when judging performance: and your point about splits is well made, I'd be pretty sure they aren't factored in.

But now that this tool is included in Quicken I'm trying to think how it might be of value to me.  If I could set it to a longer date range I'd be looking for (for example) funds that consistently are at or near the "bottom" of the list over a number of months or quarters.  That would lead me to investigate their annual returns and check their dividends and make sure I was still happy to be invested in them.

It's probably more trouble than it's worth, I just see it as view of the data that might give some useful insights.  As it stands though (day to day price change), it's of no help to me at all.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the purpose of this view is just something like this.

And as such isn't really meant to fulfill everyone's ideal "performance monitor".
    Also I believe it is targeted at the people that find the portfolio view "too complicated".  Maybe the people that look at the account overview (you know that long neglected view on every investment account).

Personally I think the portfolio view with its ability to be highly customized is a far better way to monitor investment.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited August 5
    Hello All,

We have received an update from our Development teams and anticipate the following changes to be released to the Investment Dashboard with the upcoming R28 release.

In R28:

1. We are changing the "today change %" calculation to match the portfolio view (change / yesterday's value) rather than (change / today's value).
    2. We are correcting the problem where the "Today's Change %" overall is 0.00% when it shouldn't be.
    3. We have added a security selection option
    4. We have changed the behavior when there are no "movers" to reduce confusion
    I hope this information and update is helpful.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The R28.10 is now being made available to Users in a staged release format.

If you would prefer not to wait for the update to be made available for all users, please download and install the Mondo Patch, available here.

We appreciate your patience while this issue was under investigation and thank you again for reporting this behavior in the community.

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.