Home Quicken for Windows All Things Canadian (Windows)

How to force "split transaction" to post multiple entries to one "category" ?

Hello fellow Quicken fans. I often will make multiple transactions with unique memo/amount to one category in a line item. Sadly Quicken lumps the multiple transactions together and shows only one entry to the category and shows the first memo. Is there an option somewhere to report both entries? Thank you ! Char.

Split Transaction
[AR - Chq & eTransfer] 2020-05-31 Cheques from Till $100.00
[AR - Chq & eTransfer] 2020-05-31 eTransfers from Till $500.00

Reports
[AR - Chq & eTransfer] 2020-05-31 Cheques from Till $600.00

Best Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28 Accepted Answer
    Actually, if you use different TAGS on the split lines in the originating transaction, the 2 split lines (with the differing tags) will show up as 2 lines in the receiving account.
    I do that all the time in my mortgage payment, where I want part of the Escrow amount to reflect as Real Estate  tax and part as Homeowners Insurance.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    Accepted Answer
    I took out this mortgage, as a refi, a couple of years ago.  It was the first time in MANY years that an Escrow account was required.
    In general, I HATE ESCROW ACCOUNTS, but since it was required, I wanted to track it's 2 components accurately (since the lender's ALMOST ALWAYS get the amount needed wrong).  For example, they'll calculate the amount needed for RE Tax about 1-2 months before the local government changes that amount.  There's the same problem re:  my Homeowner's Insurance.
    SO, I fumbled around a bit before I stumbled over this trick.  I had noticed elsewhere that separate tags in a split would produce 2 lines in the target ... so I gave it a try.

Answers

• UnknownUnknown Member
    What is the procedure to report Quicken system "bugs" ? or requests for enhancements ?
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For a feature request you post your question as an Idea and it will get a Vote bottom so that people can vote on the idea.

For a bug:
    Help -> Report a problem...  (note there isn't any feedback with this)
    You might also report a problem to Quicken Support.
    Contact Quicken Support
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You could run them through an intermediate holding account.

Set up an account and call it something like Checks Received or Undeposited Payments. Then enter the payments into it. Then when you make the deposit to your bank account you transfer the total deposit amount to the new account. That way when you download your bank transactions the deposit will match. Or you should use the holding account if you receive payments in one year (like in Dec) but don't make the deposit until the next year (like Jan.).

You don't run to the bank each time you get a check.  So you need a holding account so you can show the income when you received it.  Then you wait until you get a bunch of checks to go to the bank.

edited June 28 Accepted Answer
    Actually, if you use different TAGS on the split lines in the originating transaction, the 2 split lines (with the differing tags) will show up as 2 lines in the receiving account.
    I do that all the time in my mortgage payment, where I want part of the Escrow amount to reflect as Real Estate  tax and part as Homeowners Insurance.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    Quicken Community ROCKS !!!
    I'll work to report this as a "bug" or at least a "request for enhancement"
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @NotACPA Wow that is interesting!  I would have never guessed that would work like that.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    Accepted Answer
    I took out this mortgage, as a refi, a couple of years ago.  It was the first time in MANY years that an Escrow account was required.
    In general, I HATE ESCROW ACCOUNTS, but since it was required, I wanted to track it's 2 components accurately (since the lender's ALMOST ALWAYS get the amount needed wrong).  For example, they'll calculate the amount needed for RE Tax about 1-2 months before the local government changes that amount.  There's the same problem re:  my Homeowner's Insurance.
    SO, I fumbled around a bit before I stumbled over this trick.  I had noticed elsewhere that separate tags in a split would produce 2 lines in the target ... so I gave it a try.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Actually, if you use different TAGS on the split lines in the originating transaction, the 2 split lines (with the differing tags) will show up as 2 lines in the receiving account.I do that all the time in my mortgage payment, where I want part of the Escrow amount to reflect as Real Estate  tax and part as Homeowners Insurance.(Image)

BIG THANK YOU to all the Quicken Community !!!
    THIS IS THE ANSWER THAT WORKS FOR ME !!!
    I did not understand how TAGS could help me... but this is it !!!
    In my split, if I have multiple lines for one category, I'll add a unique tag.
    @Charlene If you use the same tag twice, in that originating transaction, it WILL combine into a single line in the receiving account.
    It's the differing tags that's the trick.