Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Quicken Erratic Behavior Part 2

I continue to have problems with erratic behavior in Quicken and my faith that this software is stable and worthy of being entrusted with my financial data continues to erode.

Current issues:
1) Downloaded transactions continue to show sporadic errors - some transactions that I know have taken place and show up on my bank's transaction history, do not download to Quicken and do not appear in my Quicken register unless I manually enter them. This happens on multiple different institutions so I can rule out a problem with the institution's data formatting and say confidently it is a Quicken issue.

2) Every single time I run Validate File, it gives me at least a couple of errors. Why is Quicken's internal data structure so fragile that internal errors crop up on an almost daily basis??

3) The newest problem are transactions that show up in the register but DO NOT SHOW up in the reconcile list. The transaction in the register can show as either uncleared or cleared, but in the list of transactions to be reconciled, they are not there (and their dates are in the date range being reconciled). Therefore, I am unable to make the reconcile balance because not all the legitimate transactions show up. I still haven't figured out how to get around this one.

There is no doubt that Quicken is a slick and feature-rich program. But if it can't be relied on for the most basic functions of accurate data processing and reliable data storage, it can't be trusted to use. I'm very tempted to revert back to MoneyDance which has fewer features, but is rock solid.

Answers

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    On #3 make sure that the transactions you want to include in the reconcile are on or before the closing date entered (or if using the online balance, the date that is associated with it).
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • Quicken DianaQuicken Diana Moderator, Employee mod

Hello @ Quercus47

Thank you for reaching out in the Community today, though I am sorry that you are experiencing these issues with Quicken. Based on what you have described I will recommend contacting our SUPPORT team. They will be able to screen share with you, follow along as the One Step Update completes, view log files and identify specific issues. They will also be able to look at the Validate and Repair Report errors that are appearing.

Thank you

-         Quicken Diana

• Quercus47Quercus47 Member ✭✭
    I spoke with Quicken Support - It took about 20 minutes on the phone to prove to them that the issue is in fact a Quicken problem, because Support just wanted to refer me to my bank saying it was a bank issue. It's not. After disconnecting and reconnecting all online connections to my accounts no less than three times, and disabling Automatic Accept New Transactions, we finally got Quicken to download everything from the bank. So now I'm in a wait-n-see mode, seeing if the issue is actually solved or just solved for one day.

While going through this process, we also ran Validate and Super Validate several times, with new errors showing up at least twice between successive validations. In addition, Sync errors also came up between my computer file and cloud file. All while on the phone with support. They had no answers. My only recourse was to delete and manually re-enter the transactions.

Again I say, Quicken's internal data structure is way too fragile. For what Quicken is supposed to be and do, it should be much more robust and able to cope with normal usage without corrupting data.