Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Price updates revert to previous day when quicken performs "Recalculating Investment Account Values"

When I use one step update in the Portfolio window, Quicken seems to download all of the proper security prices (mixture of mutual funds and stocks), and even seems to calculate the correct daily gain after going through "Processing Balances" for all of the accounts (I can see it in the background, behind the one step update window). But when it performs the final step of the one step update, "Recalculating Investment Account Values," all of the updated values are lost and all of my securities revert to showing 0 gain for the day.

However, when I go to any one of my accounts and choose the "Update Quotes Only" option, the prices for that account and all the other accounts are successfully updated, and my total portfolio value is correctly updated. They stay updated when I go back to the Portfolio window, but if I do another One step update from there, they go away again. Any idea what's going on?

I'm using Windows 10, version 10.0.18362 Build 18362, and Quicken Deluxe, Year 2020, Version R27.24, Build 27.1.27.24
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• davidsgibson1
    davidsgibson1 Member ✭✭✭
    I think I fixed it. I went to File -> File operations -> Validate and Repair . . . and selected the "Validate File" option. I got a bunch of errors that looked like this

Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_b4fe" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required.
    "ACCT_b4fe" 0/ 0/1900

The log ended with:

Summary:
    Quicken repaired 1 accounts. No action required.

QEL:
    The old file was corrupt and only some of the data has been recovered.

I then went back to the one step update, and it executed properly, and all of my entries seemed to be intact. Hopefully the problem is fixed. I have no idea how entries appeared in an account that were dated 0/0/1900.
  • davidsgibson1
    davidsgibson1 Member ✭✭✭
    Sherlock, you are exactly right. Your link points to people discussing exactly the same problem I have. FYI, the file I was having trouble with was almost all Fidelity accounts, which is consistent with the comments on the thread.

My fix yesterday did not seem to hold, but it worked again today. When I first tried doing an OSU today, I got the same problem with daily changes all showing 0%. Just for kicks, I validated my file again, reran the OSU, and now it works! Looks like validation might be a short term fix similar to going to a register and just doing a price update, but the validation process takes a lot longer, so not as good. Still, this info might help somebody smarter understand more about what is happening.

FYI - this time the validate did not see any of the 0/0/1900 transactions. There were a few missing stock splits and a few errors, but they seemed minimal - something about an invalid category and maybe something else (looks like I inadvertently closed the log and it was not saved). I reran validate a second time right after the successful OSU and got the following results:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    The old file was corrupt and only some of the data has been recovered.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

Also found the same missing stock splits. Any idea why it says "the old file was corrupt" and yet it found no errors?
  • davidsgibson1
    davidsgibson1 Member ✭✭✭
    and . . . I just did another OSU and the problem is back. Frustrating.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Same issue here with the same version of Quicken.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    and . . . I just did another OSU and the problem is back. Frustrating.
    We're able to work around the issue by performing the quote update after the One Step Update:  press Ctrl + U and select Update
  • Josef55
    Josef55 Member ✭✭
    I am not getting todays closing prices at all, tried the fixes mentioned above, no change.
    This just started happening after the last 2 updates - last 2 weeks.
  • Josef55
    Josef55 Member ✭✭
    I'm using Windows 10 Pro OS build 19041.329, quicken R27.28 Build 27.1.27.28
  • davidsgibson1
    davidsgibson1 Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    josef55 - I suggest going to the link mentioned above by Sherlock:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877282/cannot-view-quotes-after-installing-ver-r27-24-build-27-1-27-24-on-6-24-2020/p1

This question addresses the same issue as my question and has a much wider following. Lots to read there, but the bottom line is the problem appears to be caused by a change Quicken made recently. There are workarounds to get current prices (Update->Quotes), but there's nothing you can do to fix One Step Update until Quicken fixes it.
This discussion has been closed.