Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken for Mac close account

Updated my Quicken for Mac to latest version. Decided to officially close old bank accounts I haven't used in awhile since now these accounts are visible with the latest update.

One savings account says "XXXX account cannot be closed yet. You cannot close an account while it has any scheduled, future-dated, or pending payment transactions." This account has been closed since 2018, downloading was manually cancelled too. No pending transactions.

Any idea how to mark it as "closed"?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What action are you taking that produces that message?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • bzargarcia
    bzargarcia Member ✭✭
    Inside the savings account, opening settings, clicking on "Mark as Closed" button.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You are using the brand new version 5.17. Closing account does the following actions:  zero out the balance, automatically move it to hidden accounts, and disconnect it from online services. To figure out which action is causing the problem, you can attempt to do each of them manually. I suspect disconnect from online services is causing the problem. Check the Troubleshooting tab in Account Settings.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • bzargarcia
    bzargarcia Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your responses so far.

This bank was previously hidden from lists and reports, still is. Online services were removed, so this is a manual account right now. Balance is $0. All these steps were done a few years ago. I had a checking account at the same institution and that account was closed in Quicken with no problems.

Just tried to unhide the account, save and attempt to close again. No change, same error message.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @bzargarcia  Since "mark as closed" is a new feature, I'm not sure what's at play in your situation. But I want to note that it may not be of any real significance to you.

"Mark as closed" is not as much a special status for an account as it is a set of actions Quicken takes. As RickO mentioned above, closing the account zeros out the balance, makes the account hidden, and disconnects it from online services -- essentially just a one-click shortcut for things users have been doing for years. It then displays "closed" the left sidebar, so there is technically a closed status -- but making it closed does not lock the account in any way; you can still enter or remove or edit transactions manually, and you can make changes that create a non-zero balance.  So going back to your original premise to "officially close" the account may be something of a misnomer, because it doesn't prevent the account from being used.

If you want to see it show the "closed" label instead of simply $0.00 in the sidebar, you may need to wait a little for others to try this new feature to see if there is a bug discovered that's causing Quicken to think your account can't be closed. I didn't experience any problem marking my accounts as closed. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2020
    Probably obvious question, but have you checked that the account register doesn't have any scheduled transactions (you will need to make sure they are set to be shown) and/or any future dated transactions? If that's true, then that leaves pending payment transactions. We've seen cases where the database "thinks" there are pending payments when there really are not. This could be the issue. They get caught in a "neverland" where the bank has them processed but Quicken is not so sure. I don't recall how, if possible, this has gotten resolved for others experiencing that issue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • bzargarcia
    bzargarcia Member ✭✭
    I did check the register for pending transactions. Even went to the bills section to ensure a bill wasn't sent to an incorrect account. Yeah, I'm thinking it must be a backend glitch with this account.
  • Tom Stegman
    Tom Stegman Member
    I've got the same issue with one account that I zero'd out and hid long ago. Hope someone comes up with an answer.
This discussion has been closed.