Cannot Connect and damaged data block

Hi there,

I have a Chase account that I used Express Web Connection for 10 years. It had been running fine. Suddenly, I received a "EWC-DC mismatch" error message during the one step update. I deactivated account and tried to reconnect using the following three ways. All three failed.

1. If I use "Tools-Add account" and input my username and password, then it says "you need login information from Chase. Continue to enter transactions manually."

2. If I use "Tools-Add account- advanced setup-Express Web Connection", after I input my username and password, it says "you already have an account enabled at this Financial Institution with this user id that uses a different connection protocol. They need to be the same"

3. If in the account, I choose "edit accounting setting-online services-set up", I can successfully set up and link to the account, but no transactions can be downloaded. Whenever I click on one step update, it will say "EWC-DC mismatch".

I called Quicken support, and they asked me to do file validation. The validation result is damaged data block, so they said there is nothing they can do.

What is my option to fix the issue? I really don't want to lose all the data and set up a new Quicken file because I have tons of other accounts in the current file. Thank you, all!

Answers

  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The EWC-DC mismatch error should mean there is at least one account register associated with financial institution using the Express Web Connect connection method and one using the Direct Connect connection method.  To resolve the connect issue, the Online Services of the registers need to be reset to use the same connection method.

    To resolve a bad data block, I suggest attempting to locate a backup of the Quicken  file that does not have the corruption.  Otherwise, you may want to attempt a Copy your file and Validatehttps://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  If the File > File Operations > Copy... fails, you may have Quicken attempt to skip over the corrupted region but the resulting file may be missing date: press Ctrl + Shift and select File > File Operations > Copy...

  • Thank you! Can you tell me how to use the Online Services of the registers to reset? The issue is that even if I deactivate all the accounts associated with my Chase username and then activate only one account, the EWC-DC mismatch still occur.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any old, hidden, long closed and forgotten accounts that might still be activated? If so, deactivate those, too, so that the Quicken server can start with a clean slate.
  • > @UKR said:
    > Are there any old, hidden, long closed and forgotten accounts that might still be activated? If so, deactivate those, too, so that the Quicken server can start with a clean slate.

    No, I looked again. No active accounts.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you done the data file repair procedure mentioned by @Sherlock or as described in Step (2) of Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems ?
    If that doesn't fix it, you may have to create a new account register and try to activate and use that instead for downloading. This may require some cleanup, to remove duplicate downloaded transactions, fix scheduled reminders' account name and transfer the balance from old to new register.
  • I do not know how to do the following @Sherlock suggested. Can anyone help me with skip over the corrupted region? 

    "If the File > File Operations > Copy... fails, you may have Quicken attempt to skip over the corrupted region but the resulting file may be missing date: press Ctrl + Shift and select File > File Operations > Copy..."
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KevinSun said:
    I do not know how to do the following @Sherlock suggested. Can anyone help me with skip over the corrupted region? 

    "If the File > File Operations > Copy... fails, you may have Quicken attempt to skip over the corrupted region but the resulting file may be missing date: press Ctrl + Shift and select File > File Operations > Copy..."
    The File > File Operations > Copy... is the first step of the Copy your file and Validate procedure described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

    If this first step failed, press and hold the Ctrl and the Shift keys when you select File > File Operations > Copy..., select Yes, and then follow the remaining steps of the Copy your file and Validate procedure.




  • Sherlock said:
    KevinSun said:
    I do not know how to do the following @Sherlock suggested. Can anyone help me with skip over the corrupted region? 

    "If the File > File Operations > Copy... fails, you may have Quicken attempt to skip over the corrupted region but the resulting file may be missing date: press Ctrl + Shift and select File > File Operations > Copy..."
    The File > File Operations > Copy... is the first step of the Copy your file and Validate procedure described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

    If this first step failed, press and hold the Ctrl and the Shift keys when you select File > File Operations > Copy..., select Yes, and then follow the remaining steps of the Copy your file and Validate procedure.




    Thank you. I did the copy and validation, and there is no more errors in the log, which is great.

    However, I used the same methods to add Chase accounts as below. I still cannot add these accounts successfully. 

    1. If I use "Tools-Add account" and input my username and password, then it says "you need login information from Chase. Continue to enter transactions manually."

    2. If I use "Tools-Add account- advanced setup-Express Web Connection", after I input my username and password, it says "you already have an account enabled at this Financial Institution with this user id that uses a different connection protocol. They need to be the same"

    3. If in the Chase account register, I choose "edit accounting setting-online services-set up", I can successfully set up and link to the account, but no transactions can be downloaded. Whenever I click on one step update, it will say "EWC-DC mismatch".
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KevinSun said:
    Sherlock said:
    KevinSun said:
    I do not know how to do the following @Sherlock suggested. Can anyone help me with skip over the corrupted region? 

    "If the File > File Operations > Copy... fails, you may have Quicken attempt to skip over the corrupted region but the resulting file may be missing date: press Ctrl + Shift and select File > File Operations > Copy..."
    The File > File Operations > Copy... is the first step of the Copy your file and Validate procedure described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

    If this first step failed, press and hold the Ctrl and the Shift keys when you select File > File Operations > Copy..., select Yes, and then follow the remaining steps of the Copy your file and Validate procedure.




    Thank you. I did the copy and validation, and there is no more errors in the log, which is great.

    However, I used the same methods to add Chase accounts as below. I still cannot add these accounts successfully. 

    1. If I use "Tools-Add account" and input my username and password, then it says "you need login information from Chase. Continue to enter transactions manually."

    2. If I use "Tools-Add account- advanced setup-Express Web Connection", after I input my username and password, it says "you already have an account enabled at this Financial Institution with this user id that uses a different connection protocol. They need to be the same"

    3. If in the Chase account register, I choose "edit accounting setting-online services-set up", I can successfully set up and link to the account, but no transactions can be downloaded. Whenever I click on one step update, it will say "EWC-DC mismatch".
    I suggest you set the account up to use the Direct Connect connection method as Quicken clearly thinks you have another register activated with the Direct Connect method with this financial institution even if you're not able to locate it.  

    According to Quicken, you may be required to confirm your identity by accessing a message in the Secure Message Center on the Chase web site:



    According to Chase, you may need to authorize the application:


  • Chase will charge me $10 per month for using Direct Connect. That is why I am hesitating to use Direct Connect, even though I know it is faster than Express Web Connect. Thanks!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KevinSun said:
    Chase will charge me $10 per month for using Direct Connect. That is why I am hesitating to use Direct Connect, even though I know it is faster than Express Web Connect. Thanks!
    My understanding is Chase only charges for Direct Connect access for some business accounts.
  • Sherlock said:
    KevinSun said:
    Chase will charge me $10 per month for using Direct Connect. That is why I am hesitating to use Direct Connect, even though I know it is faster than Express Web Connect. Thanks!
    My understanding is Chase only charges for Direct Connect access for some business accounts.
    I see. I have small business checking and small business credit cards with Chase. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    KevinSun said:
    Sherlock said:
    KevinSun said:
    Chase will charge me $10 per month for using Direct Connect. That is why I am hesitating to use Direct Connect, even though I know it is faster than Express Web Connect. Thanks!
    My understanding is Chase only charges for Direct Connect access for some business accounts.
    I see. I have small business checking and small business credit cards with Chase. 
    I suggest you call Chase and see what they're willing to do for you.

    The alternative is to figure out how to coerce Quicken to no longer think you have Direct Connect activated for a register associated with Chase.

  • Sherlock said:
    KevinSun said:
    Sherlock said:
    KevinSun said:
    Chase will charge me $10 per month for using Direct Connect. That is why I am hesitating to use Direct Connect, even though I know it is faster than Express Web Connect. Thanks!
    My understanding is Chase only charges for Direct Connect access for some business accounts.
    I see. I have small business checking and small business credit cards with Chase. 
    I suggest you call Chase and see what they're willing to do for you.

    The alternative is to figure out how to coerce Quicken to no longer think you have Direct Connect activated for a register associated with Chase.

    Thank you. That is a very good idea. I will call Chase and Quicken after the holiday. 
This discussion has been closed.