Quicken for Mac v5.17 has been released

Comments

• Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭
    Well, if you turn Reduce Transparency off (uncheck it) then there will be a performance hit for everything else your mac does. This is not really acceptable especially for those with older Macs. It seems this selection is checked by default in the OS. No one (other than those in this thread) will know about this "fix" but this "fix" should not be necessary. Hopefully Quicken can be fixed. I have not seen this behavior in any other lists.

I do not get the overwrite issue on the Home tab as reported by s2kdriver so that may indeed be related to multiple currency choices.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am still running v5.16.1. When I log into Quicken, I am not prompted to upgrade to v5.17. Can I assume that they have stopped the release given the issues people have found?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @John_M  Sometimes it means they have paused the release, but not always. Try pulling the Quicken menu Check for Updates and see if it offers you the 5.17.1 update. If it tells you you are using the latest version, then you know they have paused downloads to fix something.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    I'm on 5.17.0 and tried Check for Updates. Nothing available so I assume it's paused.
  • Sid C
    Sid C Member ✭✭
    Hmm, I just checked for an update (from 15.16.1) and was able to download/install 5.17.1. So far so good ...
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    > @Shing said:
    > I'm on 5.17.0 and tried Check for Updates. Nothing available so I assume it's paused.

UPDATE: I manually checked again today and this time I was given the opportunity to update to 5.17.1.

NEW Added the ability to close an account from the Hide and Show Accounts window and from the shortcut menu that appears when Control-clicking an account on the account sidebar.
    FIXED Fixed a crashing issue that affected a few customers.
  • CyborgOne
    CyborgOne Member ✭✭✭
    First off: I love the new-with-5.17 ability of marking an account as Closed. This (and the related "keep separate" option) is a much better approach than merely "hiding" the account in lists and/or reports. Kudos to the dev team for this implementation.

However, the behavior is currently problematic, as it relates to syncing to mobile.

I have been using Quicken for decades, so have dozens of accounts in my datafile - almost all of which are (now) marked "Closed". However, when selecting the accounts to sync to mobile, ALL of them are shown in the list, as available to be synced. Why?

By definition, a "Closed" account should NOT sync to mobile - as it is, indeed, Closed. It has zero balance, it is not downloading transactions from online services, and (as it is no longer an active account) it should not have any new transactions entered against it. So, why are these accounts even shown in the "Accounts" area, as available to sync?

See screenshot: I flag all my accounts with a suffix of "x" to indicate I have closed them - so can see at a glance which ones are no longer active. I should not have to scroll past dozens of invalid accounts in this dialog, in order to focus on the accounts which I do wish to sync to mobile.

Note: I also found the separate discussion by @bobsully at: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20105097 … but I'm not sure my issue is the same. This isn't about some accounts syncing to mobile when they shouldn't be - and resolving by toggling the "Sync" checkbox to change this state. This issue is actually about programmatically disabling the ability of Closed accounts to be synced to mobile entirely.
  • Just Lurking
    Just Lurking Mac Beta Beta
    Unless I missed it, no one has commented from Quicken since the release. Hmmm. Is Marcus still on vacation?

I'm a bit leery about updating given some of the reported bugs. Is 5.17.2 imminent?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Administrator, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    Scheduled "send" transactions should allow zero amount. I have several scheduled transactions that are sent each month using Bank Bill Pay. I have them set to "I'll do it myself" for Mark as Paid. When I try to set them as "Bank Bill Pay", it is not allowed because they have an amount of $0.00. I have them set this way because the amount varies and I don't know the actual amount until the bill comes. Quicken should allow these scheduled transactions in the register with amount $0.00 and "send" in the Check# field. Only prevent the $0.00 amount if the transaction is marked as paid and the amount not changed.
    Thanks RickO.  The use case makes sense to me. I'll create a ticket for us to lower the restrictions on the amount in a scheduled transaction.  I think as long as it is set to "I'll do it myself" it should be OK.  I think that restriction was originally put in place for the Automatic Mark As Paid setting.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Tim W said:
    One odd issue I noted: When upgrading to 5.17.1 from 5.16.1, Quicken generated a partial duplicate of every account, active or hidden, that had originally been created in Quicken 2007, and it placed these partial duplicates in the new Hidden Accounts sidebar. Each partial duplicate had the same name as the actual account but with a "2" appended and containing no transactions.
    There must be some odd data that we don't expect in your 2007 accounts that is causing Quicken to duplicate these accounts.  I'll reach out to you directly.
  • Quicken Marcus
    I'm having a issue with the "Report A Problem" feature in Quicken Mac 5.17.1 on macOS 10.15.5.
    I'm not able to reproduce the issue.  Does it still fail when you try to send it?  It's possible the service we run to collect this information was down when you tried it?
  • Quicken Marcus
    s2kdriver said:
    Great new release. I really like the new Close Account and Separate Account features, as well as the revamped Reports list. However, I would like to report a small GUI bug. Under the Home tab, I am seeing a graphics overwrite for the Spending Over Time and Net Income views. Spending by Category is fine. See the attached screen shots. This may be due to the fact that I have multiple currencies active and the currency selection drop down overwrites the date selection drop-down in two of the three views. (FYI - I am running QM 5.17.1 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 latest build)
    I'm able to reproduce this issue.  It looks like a multi-currency problem. Thanks for reporting this. I have also confirmed that this is a new issue in 5.17.
  • Quicken Marcus
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus  There is what I believe to be a bug in the 5.17 release: reports now will not save the state of collapsed categories/subcategories. That is, if you carefully customize a report with some categories collapsed and some expanded, and save the report, upon re-opening, all categories are re-set to being fully expanded. (I haven't tried them all, but this is true with New Transaction, Net Summary, New Comparison, and Net Worth reports that I tested.)

In fact, Quicken doesn't even see changing collapsed categories as a change to the report. That is, if you create a report and save it, and then collapse several categories, the Save button remains grayed out, because Quicken thinks there is nothing changed to save.

This is a really annoying and painful problem because you can spend a liot of time tediously setting those triangles to a report you want, only to re-open the report and find your work was lost.

(Side note: adding and Expand All/Collapse All control to the reports interface would be a huge time saver for configuring reports.)
    Thanks for reporting this issue. I've filed a ticket and we'll investigate what we can do here.
  • aaron
    aaron Windows Beta Beta
    edited July 2020
    "Account Selection in Budgets"
    :) B) :*

*still doesn't work for transfers*
    :( :'( :|

eta: nice additions nonetheless. keep up the good work
  • Quicken Marcus
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus  One small aesthetic quibble which is bugging me in the 5.17 release. In the sidebar, if the list of accounts is longer than the height of the Quicken window, the sidebar acquires a scroll bar on the right side to allow navigation up and down the account list. But when the scroll bar is present, the number values are moved about 14 pixels to the left -- but the Net Worth and Separate Accounts lines are below the scrolling account list, and the placement of those numbers isn't moved when all the other numbers are shifted to the left. As a result, the column of numbers doesn't line up.

As I said, it's a minor aesthetic thing, but having a total which isn't aligned with the numbers above catches my eye repeatedly as something which appears to be out of place.
    Yup, I see the issue. Quite honestly, I think this would take us quite a bit of extra work to fix since the scrollbar is controlled by macOS. Most people who keep Apple's default setting which is "Show scroll bars: Automatically based on mouse or trackpad" won't run into this issue. I'll chat with my dev team about how easy or hard it would be to do.
  • jacobs
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus  One small aesthetic quibble which is bugging me in the 5.17 release. In the sidebar, if the list of accounts is longer than the height of the Quicken window, the sidebar acquires a scroll bar on the right side to allow navigation up and down the account list. But when the scroll bar is present, the number values are moved about 14 pixels to the left -- but the Net Worth and Separate Accounts lines are below the scrolling account list, and the placement of those numbers isn't moved when all the other numbers are shifted to the left. As a result, the column of numbers doesn't line up.

As I said, it's a minor aesthetic thing, but having a total which isn't aligned with the numbers above catches my eye repeatedly as something which appears to be out of place.
    Yup, I see the issue. Quite honestly, I think this would take us quite a bit of extra work to fix since the scrollbar is controlled by macOS. Most people who keep Apple's default setting which is "Show scroll bars: Automatically based on mouse or trackpad" won't run into this issue. I'll chat with my dev team about how easy or hard it would be to do.
    @Quicken Marcus I get it. I didn't remember that the persistent scrollbars for some reason (in Apple's infinite wisdom) take up more space than the pop-up automatic scrollbars. I tried the automatic scrollbars for awhile after Apple added them years ago, and found I hated having to "coax" them to show at times, or having to scroll just to be able to grab the scroller/thumb to mover around quickly, so I just turned them back on.

I was hoping there was some system variable you could check to see if the persistent scrollbar is present, and if so, nudge those bottom values a few pixels to the left.
  • Richard@
    [email protected] Member ✭✭✭
    Looking for help!! With the new release 5.17.1 I was glad to see the ability to schedule payments to be make on a specific future date. I have been able to schedule some Quick Pay billers for future dated payments but have run into a wall trying to set-up American Express for a future payment. Every time I try, Quick Pay requires a payment date of today. It won't accept a future date. Big red box around the date saying the date must be today. Quicken Support was not able to help - the only answer he could suggest was that different billers had different requirements as to date which seems strange to me when all I am trying to do is tell the software when to pay the bill.
    Has anyone experienced this problem? All suggestions or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • skrdrgn8
    skrdrgn8 Member
    I'm having an issue when customizing the Accounts Summary after the latest update. Every time I try and unselect accounts it acts like it's saving it, but continues to show the info for all accounts.
  • mybank2002
    mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for adding the separate accounts. I really missed that from coming from Windows and having that for so many years. I remember when they added that a decade-plus ago and it was so nice. 

Here's to hoping that you can save account columns and views or at least pus it out to all similar accounts like you can on Windows for years. Quicken on the Mac has improved so much and it was nice to finally make the jump a few months ago. Thanks for buying it from Intuit and making it a much, much, much better product!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
    (If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted.)

Your VOTES matter!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian
    user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • I really like the 5.17.2 updates!

I think I've found a bug with the "Payee Summary" report. In the Customize menu, there is an option to "Include hidden payees". When you click on this, all of your hidden payees will show up in red, with a check-box that will allow you to select them for inclusion in your report. I assumed that this would allow you to include selected hidden payees in your report without actually unhiding the payee.

However, if you select some of the hidden payees to include in your report, none of their transactions will show up in the report.
  • rewdy4
    rewdy4 Member
    Before the 5.17 upgrade, on startup I had the accounts sidebar on the left and the main screen showed the accounts summary report. Now it does not. Instead it opens to the new reports screen and I have to physically click the accounts summary in order to see it. Not good.
  • Just Lurking
    edited July 2020
    5.17.2 has introduced a multi-second delay when I mark a transaction as reviewed. During this time (3-4 seconds or so) I can't click on anything else. My computer is modern (16" MBP w/ 16GB of RAM) and had no issue prior to the upgrade.

Anyone else seeing anything similar? I've rebooted and updated to the latest macOS service release (10.15.6) to no avail.

Edit: It's not just marking a transaction as reviewed. Simply editing a transaction and assigning a category also takes 2-3 seconds. I also just tried merging 31 duplicate payees, and Quicken pegged one CPU core at 100% for several minutes and only haltingly allowed me to edit the name and merge, with several multi-minute pauses throughout.
  • jacobs
    rewdy4 said:
    Before the 5.17 upgrade, on startup I had the accounts sidebar on the left and the main screen showed the accounts summary report. Now it does not. Instead it opens to the new reports screen and I have to physically click the accounts summary in order to see it. Not good.
    Reports are always in their own windows now, which lets users easily switch between a report and a register or budget or whatever they're working on. If you open the Accounts Summary report and move its window a bit to it goes slightly beyond the edge of your main Quicken window, you'll always be able to select it with a single click. Quicken remembers exactly what's open when you quit, so when you re-launch, Quicken re-opens whatever was int he main window and also any additional windows which had been open -- so your Accounts Summary Report will be open and waiting for you in the second window each time you open Quicken.
  • glennmacc
    glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
    Just Lurking" said:
    > 5.17.2 has introduced a multi-second delay when I mark a transaction as reviewed. During this time (3-4 seconds or so) I can't click on anything else. My computer is modern (16" MBP w/ 16GB of RAM) and had no issue prior to the upgrade.
    >
    > Anyone else seeing anything similar? I've rebooted and updated to the latest macOS service release (10.15.6) to no avail.
    >
    > Edit: It's not just marking a transaction as reviewed. Simply editing a transaction and assigning a category also takes 2-3 seconds. I also just tried merging 31 duplicate payees, and Quicken pegged one CPU core at 100% for several minutes and only haltingly allowed me to edit the name and merge, with several multi-minute pauses throughout.

I have not experienced anything that drastic, but I have found that if multiple reports or details from reports are open (which now are in separate windows), Quicken takes a fair amount of time to update the reports whenever you add an entry in a register, even marking something reviewed. Closing any open additional windows/reports will accelerate your entries, I think.
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken 5.17.2 is acting completely inconsistently when it comes to Memos & Notes. It is duplicating memos and notes back & forth between those 2 fields, even though the user doesn't want that behavior to happen.

1. For example, right now, just 10 seconds ago, I added a brand new transaction into my register and typed in a memo. (Not a Note, because it's not a split transaction.)

2. HOWEVER, in Quicken's QuickFill Rules screen, Quicken duplicated my memo into the "Split Notes" area! This is NOT a split transaction. There should be absolutely no Notes in the split area at all.

3. So then, I added another transaction to my register for the same Payee, and the previous Memo showed up. I cleared out the Memo, but Quicken still left the "Split Notes" intact. So now, my new transaction has a phantom Notes embedded into this transaction, even though I can't visually see the Notes because it's part of the split screen!

4. So now, for every single transaction that I create in Quicken, I'm required to manually open up the splits screen and clear out the erroneous split note that shouldn't be there. I have to do this for every single transaction.

However, this problem happens THE OTHER WAY TOO:

5. If you add a new transaction for a brand new payee and you open up the split screen to type in some "Notes", those "Notes" do NOT appear in the "Memo/Notes" field in the account register. Even after you save the transaction, those "Notes" will NEVER appear in the "Memo/Notes" field. The "Memo/Notes" field stays completely blank. (Be sure to save QuickFill rules for "all fields" when you save the transaction, before moving onto #2 below.)

6. HOWEVER, the next time you create a transaction with that exact same payee, Quicken's QuickFill rules will suddenly DUPLICATE the notes into your "Memo/Notes" field for the very first time. They had never shown up in the "Memo/Notes" field before, but now suddenly, for the very first time, your Notes have magically appeared in the "Memo/Notes" field. Notice that I said "duplicate", not "mirror". That's because, and this is where the major bug occurs — you can NOW CLEAR OUT THE MEMO DIRECTLY FROM THE MEMO/NOTES FIELD, leaving yourself with a completely blank "Memo/Notes" field. Which would lead any user to believe that you are simply editing the "Memo" field, since that's what you see right there. However, you would be completely incorrect if you assumed that. Because guess what? If you cleared out the "Memo" field but you open up your splits view, you would be horrified to find that the "Notes" are STILL THERE in the splits view! So Quicken Mac has actually DUPLICATED the Notes across.2 different fields..There is absolutely no way that any normal user like myself would ever be able to figure out this bizarre & twisted logic of Quicken Mac. No way at all.

7. Yet oddly enough — the same exact thing happens in reverse. In #2 above, if you had decided to clear out the "Notes" from the split screen (instead of from the "Memo/Notes" field), the "Memo" field will remain behind. So Quicken has actually DUPLICATED the Notes into 2 different fields, which must now both be managed separately by the user. This is the very definition of insanity!  

8. But, as if this wasn't bad enough, things get even worse. Much worse. Let's say that you actually DID want a different Memo from your Notes field for some reason. (Most people would never knowingly do this because there's no clarity as to how this would actually appear on a report, so it's more likely that people have accidentally ended up in this bad situation because of the problems listed above.) Go ahead and create a transaction that has a different Memo & Notes field. Save the transaction and save the QuickFill rules for "all fields". The next time you create the transaction for that payee, your Memo & Notes field have repopulated. Most people won't realize this has happened, but that's what happened. Before saving the transaction, CLEAR OUT THE MEMO FIELD. That's right — COMPLETELY CLEAR OUT THE MEMO FIELD, but LEAVE the differing notes field intact. Save the transaction, and save the QuickFill rules for "all fields".Now, the next time you create a transaction for this payee, guess what? Your memo that you cleared out has SUDDENLY REAPPEARED AGAIN! In other words, Quicken NEVER ACTUALLY SAVED YOUR NEW QUICKFILL RULES! You literally cannot get away from the original memo reappearing again, even if you cleared it out and saved your new QuickFill rules. You are actually required to go into Window > Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules and update it there.

9. All of these same problems happen within the "Transaction info" window as well.
  • Just Lurking
    glennmacc said:
    I have not experienced anything that drastic, but I have found that if multiple reports or details from reports are open (which now are in separate windows), Quicken takes a fair amount of time to update the reports whenever you add an entry in a register, even marking something reviewed. Closing any open additional windows/reports will accelerate your entries, I think.
    Thanks for the suggestion, that was exactly it. I had an "All Transactions" window open on a second monitor that I was using to look up transactions and ensure I was categorizing consistently. As soon as I closed the All Transactions window, performance improved markedly.

Something definitely changed in 5.17.x because I did the same thing before on 5.16 (and earlier) without the performance impact. Hopefully performance can be improved in the next update.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2020
    1. For example, right now, just 10 seconds ago, I added a brand new transaction into my register and typed in a memo. (Not a Note, because it's not a split transaction.)

2. HOWEVER, in Quicken's QuickFill Rules screen, Quicken duplicated my memo into the "Split Notes" area! This is NOT a split transaction. There should be absolutely no Notes in the split area at all.
    @Scott Rose I haven't had time to check out all of what you posted, but I'm not seeing the same result for the start of your list. Are you sure you weren't using an existing Payee which already had a split line Note saved? I created a new transaction, creating a new Payee in the process, with QuickFill preferences set to automatically create a rule for all fields. When I look at the rule it created, there is no split. I then created a new transaction for the same Payee, and the QuickFill rule was used. In the second transaction, there is (correctly) nothing in the first split line Notes.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    A bug has been introduced in 5.17 (or some release before) for scheduled transactions. I get a bonus from my company every June and Dec. (don't get excited, the bonus is small).

And then suddenly today I see that I'm expecting a bonus this July also. Or so says a new transaction in my register.

I checked Bills & Income: the schedule for the transaction is still set to Twice A Year, but the months have now changed to Dec. and... July!

There's something not quite right if my maths are correct. Sound't it be: June instead?
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2020
    ALSO, another bug in 5.17.2 that never happened in previous versions:

Quicken 5.17.2 isn't calculating proper balances for our reconciliations. It's giving us the wrong "Difference" amount when "Using Statement Balance" because it's not adding up the math correctly. We can clearly do the math on our own, which Quicken is NOT doing correctly. We had to create our own Adjustment Balances, just to get Quicken to reconcile our accounts properly. We had the proper "prior balance" and the proper "ending balance", but Quicken just isn't figuring it out properly. Never had this problem ever before. We only have 7 transactions in each account, so it's very easy to do the math properly, and see that we're doing the math properly but Quicken is not.
This discussion has been closed.