Quicken for Mac v5.17 has been released

Comments

• wmsonj
    wmsonj Member
    :/ The new reporting format is terrible. I much preferred the previous version where the report displayed in the same window and provided live updating.

It is a nice option to be able to open reports in a separate window, BUT IT SHOULD BE AN OPTION for the user.
  • DAMcL
    DAMcL Member ✭✭
    > @"[email protected]" said:
    ... Every time I try, Quick Pay requires a payment date of today. It won't accept a future date. Big red box around the date saying the date must be today.

I have the same problem with a Wells Fargo mortgage and created a separate post for it. Interestingly enough, I was able to set a future date for my AmEx payment.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    There is a bug in the sidebar:

1. Select an account
    2. Move the cursor to another account (but don't select that account)
    3. Right-click to get the context menu
    4. The pop-up menu appears, but the selected account changes

Expected behavior:

4. The selected account SHOULD NOT be changed, especially if you only want to open a new window to compare that account with the account from Step 1.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    caram said:

1. Select an account

Expected behavior:

4. The selected account SHOULD NOT be changed, especially if you only want to open a new window to compare that account with the account from Step 1.
    @caram I disagree; I don't think that's a bug -- that's standard macOS behavior. To see, try this:
    • Open TextEdit
    • Type a few words: "Have a nice day"
    • Double click on "day" to select it
    • Move your cursor over nice and Control-click
    • The pop-up menu will be to look up "nice", not "day"
    A right click is a click, so it will call up a context sensitive menu for the place you click. I just tried this in 5 different programs, and they all behave identically: when you right click on something, you're first selecting the word you clicked on and then calling up a context-sensitive menu.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Just Lurking
    Just Lurking Mac Beta Beta
    jacobs said:
    caram said:

1. Select an account

Expected behavior:

@caram I disagree; I don't think that's a bug -- that's standard macOS behavior. <SNIP>

A right click is a click, so it will call up a context sensitive menu for the place you click. I just tried this in 5 different programs, and they all behave identically: when you right click on something, you're first selecting the word you clicked on and then calling up a context-sensitive menu.
    I completely agree with @caram that I believe this is a bug or if intentional a design decision which should be changed. I think you're testing the wrong thing, @jacobs.

For example, launch finder and make sure you the side bar is not hidden. Start in any location (Downloads, home folder, Applications, etc.) and then right-click on another location in the sidebar and then choose to open in a new tab. The newly selected location will open in a new tab, but your previous tab does not change location.

Same behavior in Safari and Chrome - right-click on a different tab to take action on that tab, and it doesn't switch you to that tab immediately. Same behavior in Calendar - right-click to create a new event on a different day will not move you to that day. Same in Contacts. Seems to be a pretty consistent user interface expectation.

Similar to @caram, I frequently wish to open another Quicken account to compare something. Right-clicking and having it open in a new window without losing your current place is consistent with other macOS application behavior and should be fixed in Quicken, IMO. 
  • jacobs
    Similar to @caram, I frequently wish to open another Quicken account to compare something. Right-clicking and having it open in a new window without losing your current place is consistent with other macOS application behavior and should be fixed in Quicken, IMO. 
    @Just Lurking  You are looking at Account A, and you want to open Account B in a new window while leaving Account A open in the main window, right? This couldn't be simpler: just double-click on Account B in the sidebar. Account B opens in a new window; Account A remains in the main window. Done. No right-clicking involved. ;)

For what it's worth,I just verified that this has been the way Quicken Mac has worked going back to the original Quicken 2015 from 6 years ago. That doesn't mean your desire to see the behavior changed isn't valid, just that it's safe to say it's "operating as designed", as the developers would say, and not a bug. 
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:

@Just Lurking  You are looking at Account A, and you want to open Account B in a new window while leaving Account A open in the main window, right? This couldn't be simpler: just double-click on Account B in the sidebar. Account B opens in a new window; Account A remains in the main window. Done. No right-clicking involved. ;)
    @jacobs what you describe is what I'd want. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I double click on an account other than the one visible QM both switches to that account and opens the identical window in a separate window. This is the same behavior I experience when I right-click on an account. I've always found it awkward having to first open a second window then navigate to a different window, but I've never thought about whether this experience could be improved.
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭
    Well, I can reproduce both. Have one account in main window, double click another account and the main window switches to the second account and the second account opens in its own window AND select an account in the main window, double click another account and the second account opens in a new window with the original account in the main window. It depends on how fast you double click.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • Just Lurking
    jacobs said:

For what it's worth,I just verified that this has been the way Quicken Mac has worked going back to the original Quicken 2015 from 6 years ago. That doesn't mean your desire to see the behavior changed isn't valid, just that it's safe to say it's "operating as designed", as the developers would say, and not a bug. 
    Thanks for the tip. I tried your suggestion, and it seems to work a little inconsistently, as RIck also mention. I'll probably try and use it and see if I can get it to work more consistently.

That said, I would propose the Quicken developers take at least one of two approaches, although implementing both would be ideal:
    1. Tweak the double-click behavior so that it more consistently works to open a new window without changing the current window.
    2. Consider changing the right-clicking behavior to be more consistent with other apps. [Even if this is not a "new" problem, it's a worthy improvement.]
    Do you know whether the Quicken app help menu > "Report a problem" option is a good way to get these kinds of requests in-front of someone who has the power to actually prioritize and implement them?
  • jacobs
    Just Lurking said:
    Do you know whether the Quicken app help menu > "Report a problem" option is a good way to get these kinds of requests in-front of someone who has the power to actually prioritize and implement them?
    @Just Lurking Yes, if it's a bug; no if it's an enhancement request. Since there is inconsistency in this case, I think reporting it there is worthwhile. They key is to describe exactly how to reproduce the problem. As I understand it, someone at Quicken reviews those submissions; you can imagine there are probably a lot of them, many of which are not actually bugs, or are not reproducible. If they can't reproduce the reported problem because the description is not detailed enough, or because the problem only shows under certain conditions, or because they consider it a new feature request and not a bug, I believe they discard them. Only if they can reproduce them are they entered as a product defect in their internal database, to await someone on the development team being assigned to look into and fix the problem.

One more trick for the Report a Problem feature: it maddeningly has only a small box for text to describe the issue and how to reproduce it. I guess it's their way of trying to get users to keep the reports brief, but in many cases, it requires more space to describe the issue and all the steps involved. So I recommend writing your description in TextEdit, checking it, and then copying and pasting it into the Report a Problem box. You will only be able to see about 4 lines, but it seems to actually accept longer text. 
  • jacobs said:
    You are looking at Account A, and you want to open Account B in a new window while leaving Account A open in the main window, right? This couldn't be simpler: just double-click on Account B in the sidebar. Account B opens in a new window; Account A remains in the main window. Done. No right-clicking involved. ;)
    @jacobs For the life of me, I can't get this to work. Whenever I double-click another account, it always switches the main window to the one I double-click on as well as opening it up in another window. I've tried double-clicking slower and faster, and can't get it to work. I really would like to be able to be on an account register, then quickly double-click another account to open up and reference, while keeping the original account open in the main window. Right-clicking does the same thing: switches the main window to the new account. Any tricks for how you got this to work?
  • jacobs
    @[email protected] I just tried it a bunch more times. One thing I realized is that I was originally on my desktop iMac, using a mouse. Now I'm on my laptop, using a trackpad, and most of the time it behaves as you describe. The trick, it seems, is to make that double-click fast. On the trackpad, if I poise my finger above the pad and then hammer down with two quick clicks, it works as desired. If I just do a standard double-click, which is a fraction of a second slower, it behaves as you've described. Double-clicking with a mouse is faster than double-clicking on a trackpad, and it all seems to be a function of timing. (Which means they should fix it to work one way or the other, but not two different ways depending on how many microseconds there are between clicks!)
  • Just Lurking
    @jacobs For the life of me, I can't get this to work. Whenever I double-click another account, it always switches the main window to the one I double-click on as well as opening it up in another window. I've tried double-clicking slower and faster, and can't get it to work. I really would like to be able to be on an account register, then quickly double-click another account to open up and reference, while keeping the original account open in the main window. Right-clicking does the same thing: switches the main window to the new account. Any tricks for how you got this to work?
    If you're having trouble with it (as I was too), one thing that seems to help is reducing your double-click speed in your Mac's accessibility options. To do this, open system preferences and go to accessibility and then Pointer Control (might be called something slightly different pre-Catalina).

Then adjust the "double-click speed" slider to the left. Keep in mind, if you move it too far to the left, what will happen is your Mac will register a double-click when you didn't actually mean to double-click, so setting the slider appropriately can be a bit of a balancing act.

I only just tweaked my slider and haven't tested extensively but it does seem to help.
  • glennmacc
    glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
    If you're having trouble with it (as I was too), one thing that seems to help is reducing your double-click speed in your Mac's accessibility options. To do this, open system preferences and go to accessibility and then Pointer Control (might be called something slightly different pre-Catalina).

Then adjust the "double-click speed" slider to the left. Keep in mind, if you move it too far to the left, what will happen is your Mac will register a double-click when you didn't actually mean to double-click, so setting the slider appropriately can be a bit of a balancing act.

I only just tweaked my slider and haven't tested extensively but it does seem to help.
    Wow, I moved the slider to the left just two notches and it worked.  The behavior described above did not really bother me, but now that I have it working as Austin preferred, I definitely prefer it also (the old window staying the same).  So thanks.

Glenn

• rlutgen
    rlutgen Member
    One of my favorite features was (yes, was) the reporting functionality. I find the new reports layout both good in some spots, and terrible in others.

The good:
    I like the dedicated screen for reports now, in that there is not a pop-out menu for report selection now.

The bad:
    I hate, hate, hate, the fact that opening a new report opens a new window. Its cumbersome and messy. Please consider adding what most modern apps do; a navigation header. i.e. you have your main reports screen, then when you click into a new report, the main "frame" updates with the report, and then there is a small menu at the top with, say My Reports -> My custom Report. Clicking "My Reports", will bring you back to the list view of reports. I cannot stress enough how much I dislike this new UX, since the old reports are one of the reasons I subscribed to Quicken.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    > Then adjust the "double-click speed" slider to the left. Keep in mind,
    > if you move it too far to the left, what will happen is your Mac will register
    > a double-click when you didn't actually mean to double-click, so setting
    > the slider appropriately can be a bit of a balancing act.

It's good to know, but I find it a bit haphazard. I don't think we should be relying on a mechanism that sometimes work and sometimes doesn't, or on a user's preference setting. I think Quicken should be providing a robust (and system compatible) implementation - the right click and/or others. It doesn't seem too expensive a feature to fix.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    Two tweaks that would be most beneficial to me (at least):

- Reconcile window: Make the <spacebar> (or some other key) toggle the Clear status. This was quite handy in Microsoft Money and the trackpad is much less MSD friendly.

- Amount field: Allowing direct access to the digit keys without pressing the <shift> key first would be quite handy on a MacBook Pro on some keyboards.
  • jacobs
    @caram  Could you clarify your second point above? I sometimes use Quicken on my MacBook Pro, and the digit keys on the keyboard work as expected. You don't press shift for a number, as that generates non-numeric characters (an "! "for a Shift-1, an "@ for Shift-2, etc.). Is there any chance that you have Sticky Keys" turned on in the Mac's Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard settings? 

• glennmacc
    glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
    FWIW, I appreciate the fix in 5.17.5 for the check number bug.  I was tired of having duplicate check numbers (or manually changing the starting check #).
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    > @caram Could you clarify your second point above? I sometimes use
    > Quicken on my MacBook Pro, and the digit keys on the keyboard work
    > as expected.

If your keyboard is set to AZERTY, digit keys need to be shifted. Hence my suggestion to have direct access in this case.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    Reports > Accounts Summary

It is normal that it shows Closed accounts? Furthermore, when I press "Customize" and deselect some accounts, it is normal that these accounts are still displayed in the report? I would think the answer to both questions is no.
  • jacobs
    caram said:
    If your keyboard is set to AZERTY, digit keys need to be shifted. Hence my suggestion to have direct access in this case.
    Ah, well that's some crucial information you didn't share before. ;)

First, I'd say that I believe an AZERTY keyboard layout isn't widely used in the US. But more importantly, the numbers on an AZERTY keyboard require pressing Shift. So you're wanting Quicken to support the atypical AZERTY keyboard layout, yet override the standard key positions. I do understand why this would be beneficial, but since the keyboard support is undoubtedly managed by the macOS, I'm not sure I see them writing a special keyboard override to the operating system for a not-widely-used keyboard. (But if it's easy to accomplish, why not?) 

caram said:
    Reports > Accounts Summary

It is normal that it shows Closed accounts?
    Yes, it is normal. Not correct, but normal. ;) 

The Accounts Summary report is one of the old reports inherited from the Quicken Essentials product that served as the code base for the current Quicken Mac. It will likely be removed from the program in the not-too-distant future, as the new reports engine has been built up to replace the old reports. Accounts Summary has always shown closed accounts, from the original Quicken 2015 through today. And since it's a report that's not going to stick around, I doubt it will ever be fixed. 

I suggest you use the new Net Worth report instead. It shows the same information -- the value of each account -- but it does not show hidden accounts. More importantly, you can set any date you want to see your holdings; the old Accounts Summary report only shows today's balances.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    macOS 11, QM runs pretty well but there is this little annoyance deleting a transaction. Shouldn't' the blue highlight be around the Delete button rather than the Cancel button?

This may not be a new behavior, but it suddenly became more apparent with the new window layout.
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    Since I'm at it, there is no indication of which button is enabled by default in the Reconcile window.

Also, a keyboard shortcut to launch Reconciliation would be neat, -R for example.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    caram said:
    Also, a keyboard shortcut to launch Reconciliation would be neat, -R for example.
    You can create a custom keyboard shortcut for any menu item in any Mac app (this includes menu Accounts > Reconcile in Quicken). See the following:

macOS Custom Keyboard Shortcuts
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    > I do understand why this would be beneficial, but since the keyboard support
    > is undoubtedly managed by the macOS, I'm not sure I see them writing a
    > special keyboard override to the operating system

Maybe I'm thinking in iOS terms where there is number-and-punctionation keyboard. A feature used by many financial apps on iOS. And since iOS and macOS have become even closer twins with Big Sur...
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    > I suggest you use the new Net Worth report instead. It shows the same
    > information -- the value of each account -- but it does not show hidden
    > accounts.

Thanks for the advice, @jacobs.

But there is something which I don't understand. I have a closed account X (also marked as Hide in List ). The close account X is displayed by default in the Networth report. But when I press Customize and change from "All accounts" to "Selected accounts", the X account is still displayed.

This sounds like a bug or a missing feature (ability to unckeck hidden account).
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @caram

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your feedback, I will do my best to answer all of your comments if I miss anything please let me know!

caram said:
    macOS 11, QM runs pretty well but there is this little annoyance deleting a transaction. Shouldn't' the blue highlight be around the Delete button rather than the Cancel button?

I would suggest navigating to Help > Report a Problem to report this issue.

caram said:
    Since I'm at it, there is no indication of which button is enabled by default in the Reconcile window.

I am not quite sure what is missing, I apologize. In the screenshots this reconcile is using the Online balance as the online balance is listed and the statement balance does not have the toggle bubble selected.

Also, to submit a feature request, please take a moment to review the steps and information available here.

In regards to hidden accounts still displaying in reports, I am not currently seeing this in my file. I would suggest creating a new post with more details for additional troubleshooting to help isolate why you are seeing this.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849429/how-to-add-a-post-to-the-community#latest

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭
    caram said:

This may not be a new behavior, but it suddenly became more apparent with the new window layout.
    Does the blue highlight around the cancel button mean it is selected by default?  If so, then I would think it is correct as any press of a space bar or return would select it so the Delete would not occur.  These can be pressed accidentally and one should be forced to physically select "Delete" in that window.  Am I missing something?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • jacobs
    caram said:

In your screenshot of the delete transaction dialog box, the default is Delete, because that button is blue. Nothing different there.

You're using a beta, unreleased version of macOS. Quicken hasn't had any updates specifically for compatibility with macOS 11 yet (and likely won't until around or after Apple releases it). I'm not running the macOS 11 beta, so I don't know if this is standard behavior for buttons in dialog boxes or not, but I'm guessing the blue border around the non-highlighted button is defined by macOS. (In general, Quicken Mac relies on the Mac operating system for a lot of the user interface, and I'd think buttons in a dialog box would fall into that category.)
This discussion has been closed.