Quicken Barchart Graphs crashing since R27.24

Every since updating to R27.24 - whenever I view any barchart (investing, net work, property/debt, etc) quicken crashes with a bugsplat error. I have had to revert back to R26. I did just try the R27.28 update today and still same issue.

Quicken QA team is aware of this issue and I gave them info but im just curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue..it seems im the only one and looking for tips or feedback.

Heres my OS information:
Windows 10 Pro Build 2004 (latest update from June 26th)

My intial gut feeling is its something to do with the latest Windows Build which happened to release a few days prior to R27.24. Anyone else able to view bar charts on the latest windows version and latest quicken build?

Thank You,
Brandon

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Nope, you are definitely special.   :)

The very fact that this forum doesn't have a thread filled with complaints like that tells me that it isn't I that is special (it doesn't crash for me).  That is such a heavily used feature that certainly there would be a big long thread(s) on it if everyone was seeing it, and yours is the first mention of crashing I have seen.

Now the reports have are "messed up" for others in other ways, but not crashing.

If you like you can rollback to R27.23 for a time until it gets fixed by installing that patch release from here:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Nope, you are definitely special.   :)
    >
    > The very fact that this forum doesn't have a thread filled with complaints like that tells me that it isn't I that is special (it doesn't crash for me).  That is such a heavily used feature that certainly there would be a big long thread(s) on it if everyone was seeing it, and yours is the first mention of crashing I have seen.
    >
    > Now the reports have are "messed up" for others in other ways, but not crashing.
    >
    > If you like you can rollback to R27.23 for a time until it gets fixed by installing that patch release from here:
    > http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Thanks Chris, thats unfortunate..that its only me..I have a second laptop that im going to upgrade to Windows 2004 and see if it has the same issue...it seems this latest windows update is being rolled out slowly and I can get it downloaded yet...thats my theory is nobody else has the win update yet and just me. but you're saying you have that update
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    R27.24 has been released to everyone as far as I know.  In fact R27.28 is now out there as a limited release.  And anyone that wants to take the plunge and get it early can download it from here: https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product  
    Signature:
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    Not reading my post.. I said "windows" OS update
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @brandongblack You might try using this procedure to do a clean uninstall and then install Quicken again.  Be sure to do step "Second" to get the folders that might be causing problems out of the way.  You can actually just delete them instead of renaming them.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @brandongblack  I updated to Windows 10, version 2004 on June 17th and have applied  the available Windows updates on June 24th.  I have been using Quicken R27.24 since June 26th without any crashes.  

It's certainly plausible the issue may be related to the Windows update on your hardware but I think its unlikely as there haven't been any other users raising the issue here.  

I suspect the problem may be specific to your Quicken file.   If you're not able to reproduce the crash using a test Quicken file, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    @Sherlock Thanks for the confirmation - Yes I was able to reproduce the issue by creating a brand new test file. I've gone through all the basic troubleshooting steps with quicken support and was on a zoom meeting with quicken engineering team. I'm trying to see if I can update windows on one of my other machines to reproduce it..not sure what other variables there could be for quicken..

Its clearly a chart rendering issue and my intel graphics are up to date
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try setting or removing the following High DPI overrides to see if that helps resolve the issue.

Font size problems? Display issues? (Windows)

If you are using a version of Quicken at the Quicken 2019 US R 19.44 patch level or newer and you have previously made the following Compatibility change, please undo the change.
    Users of other Quicken versions please try the following:

• Close Quicken !!! (This process won't work while Quicken is running!)
    • Check the Compatibility tab settings in your Quicken Desktop program icon:
    • In the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken icon. Select "Open File Location". This brings up a Windows File Explorer window. Right-click the highlighted Quicken shortcut line item.
      or
    • Go to the traditional Windows Desktop and right-click the Quicken program icon.
    • Now click Properties.
    • Select the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck all settings.
    • Windows 7, 8.1: Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 
      Windows 10:  Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application"  (also try the other available options repeating the entire procedure!)
    • Be sure to uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for [older Windows version]" setting.
    • Click the "Change settings for all users" button.
    • Click Apply and exit.
    • Now start Quicken and see if that makes a difference.

Some additional tuning suggestions:

• Try adjusting the bank account registers' row height: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, choose among the available Row Height choices: Compact, Comfortable or Standard
    • If all else fails, try changing Windows Control Panel / Display options for "Make text and other items … smaller or larger" to use a different scaling level.

• brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    @UKR , thank you for the suggestions. I went ahead and tried all those and didnt effect the issue. Whats funny is when i increased the font size on windows it initally didnt crash my quicken file upon opening but thats because the graph on my home page wasn't visible on load. But the moment I scroll down and can "See" the graph, quicken crashes.

So something is up with the way those graphs load. and unfortunately the logs don't say why its crashing..nothing in eventviewer
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    Just created a blank new quicken file to do some really basic troubleshooting. If I just open up a checking/savings/cash account manually and set the value to $1 then I can open the net worth graph no problem. I slowly incremented the $ balance higher. The moment I hit $4 in net work, the graph crash when i try to view them.

I tried a lot of combinations of assets and anything over $3 net worth crashes..still seems a mystery as to why that would happen
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    Here are some screenshots. first screenshot shows a few accounts with a total combined net worth of $3. Graph renders correctly!

In the second picture all I did was add $1 to one of those accounts and click net worth. The screenshot shows what happens right before it crashes (which leads to screenshot #3).

I guess I can't have more than $3 to my name :smile:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ;-)

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I suspect it may be the number of accounts and not the amount.  With each account, Quicken would be adding another color to the displayed graph.  Are you able to view the Preview of the Graph and Chart Colors?   Select Edit > Preferences...

• brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @Sherlock , yes I can view that fine. In the particular barchart screenshots I sent previously it has 1 color per account type. And in that case of the net worth graph it definitely is $ amount based. I literally tested it with 1 account and 5 accounts and the combined amount cant exceed $3 otherwise it will crash.

I've reverted back to R26.23 which is the last update that will work for me. For the sake of the quicken community I hope I am just a one-off but seems unlikely! Maybe I have some minor OS update that nobody else has yet which has compatibility issues with Quicken R27+. This would be insane if it broke everyones quicken
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
     I hope I am just a one-off but seems unlikely! Maybe I have some minor OS update that nobody else has yet which has compatibility issues with Quicken R27+. This would be insane if it broke everyones quicken
    In reality it would be much better if it broke for everyone.  If that was the case then the Quicken developers would be able to reproduce it easily and find a workaround for it.  It would also make the priority to fix it way up at the top, so it would get fixed right away.  Having a crash that only affects one person is pretty much the worse case scenario.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @Sherlock , yes I can view that fine. In the particular barchart screenshots I sent previously it has 1 color per account type. And in that case of the net worth graph it definitely is $ amount based. I literally tested it with 1 account and 5 accounts and the combined amount cant exceed $3 otherwise it will crash.

I've reverted back to R26.23 which is the last update that will work for me. For the sake of the quicken community I hope I am just a one-off but seems unlikely! Maybe I have some minor OS update that nobody else has yet which has compatibility issues with Quicken R27+. This would be insane if it broke everyones quicken
    I guess we'll learn more when you're able to update the laptop. 
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > I guess we'll learn more when you're able to update the laptop. 
    Oh yeah that didn't work...got to the end up the update and it said the machine isn't currently supported to upgrade. I'm going to spin up a windows virtual machine on my main pc to see if I can recreate the issue there
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    Ok so I just installed a developer-licensed windows on a VM on my main pc. it had all the latest updates for Windows Build 2004...and sure enough my file loads fine there with the latest version of quicken. So something must be corrupted with my windows installation. I guess I need to do a fresh install of windows and see if that resolves my issues
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    Even after a fresh install of windows same issue
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    That's unfortunate.  It implies that this is connected to the hardware or maybe the driver.

BTW just so you know when you use a VM goes through a simulation layer for the hardware, so you are in fact not testing the underline hardware in the same way as if you run directly on the hardware.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Is a fresh install of Windows different than a clean install?
  • brandongblack
    brandongblack Member ✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > (Quote)
    > That's unfortunate.  It implies that this is connected to the hardware or maybe the driver.
    >
    > BTW just so you know when you use a VM goes through a simulation layer for the hardware, so you are in fact not testing the underline hardware in the same way as if you run directly on the hardware.

This is what I'm afraid of. The only thing unique a out my hardware is it's in intel NUC. Basically a mini pc. It has all the latest drivers. But I guess maybe that could be the issue..just seems strange it would work for all these years and stop suddenly
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked when the last time the display driver was updated?
    If recent that might be it and maybe you can roll back the display driver.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another thought is if there are settings for the display adapter for "tweaking the performance/use hardware acceleration", turning that off might help/be a clue into what is going on.

It is strange that only you are having this problem give that a NUC would just be using the built in GPU, which you would think would affect a lot more people.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.