How to remove a holding that I don't own

After my last update, a stock holding that I sold all in 2003 showed up in my holdings as owning a fractional share. I tried removing the fraction but instead of going to "0" and not showing up in my holdings, it then showed up as a negative fractional share. How would you recommend I correct this glitch? Thanks for any help you can suggest.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you edit the last transaction that should have zero'd the holding.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Sherlock said:
    I suggest you edit the last transaction that should have zero'd the holding.

Change that LAST transaction in this security to a "Sell All Shares".  The fractional share holding is a by-product of Q extending the number of decimal places from 3 to 6.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Thanks guys, that seemed to do the trick. I edited the original transaction and added .000003 to the total shares, and the stock disappeared from my holdings. Been using Quicken since the 80's, and I've never had this happen before. I rarely trade in fractional shares, but this particular stock had been on dividend reinvestment and had accumulated fractions. Need to double check all my older holdings and see if there could be others. Thanks again. LS
  • I've discovered another glitch that I think Quicken needs to be aware of, but don't know how to report it. I've created a work around to avoid it, but it does slow me down on occasion. When I'm accepting to enter individual downloaded transactions instead of accept all, even though the cursor moves and highlights the next transaction, unless I manually click to highlight, it will accept the previous transaction and enter it twice or more until I manually highlight the next transaction. Would really like to see this corrected.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    lajuans said:
    Thanks guys, that seemed to do the trick. I edited the original transaction and added .000003 to the total shares, and the stock disappeared from my holdings. Been using Quicken since the 80's, and I've never had this happen before. I rarely trade in fractional shares, but this particular stock had been on dividend reinvestment and had accumulated fractions. Need to double check all my older holdings and see if there could be others. Thanks again. LS
    As of R27.20, Quicken improved the precision used in the share calculations.  I gather this was done to match the precision provided by some financial institutions.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    lajuans said:
    I've discovered another glitch that I think Quicken needs to be aware of, but don't know how to report it. I've created a work around to avoid it, but it does slow me down on occasion. When I'm accepting to enter individual downloaded transactions instead of accept all, even though the cursor moves and highlights the next transaction, unless I manually click to highlight, it will accept the previous transaction and enter it twice or more until I manually highlight the next transaction. Would really like to see this corrected.
    My work around is avoid the Accept button on the individual downloaded transaction.  I either use the Accept button at the very bottom or use Enter in the register.  
This discussion has been closed.