Entered transactions are dropped when I open Quicken.

I have Quicken Deluxe 2020 for Windows with all updates. Any transactions I have entered after June 12, 2020 show up in the register and included in the total transactions. After I close Quicken and later open Quicken, the transactions I entered after June 12, 2020 do not show up in the register and the transaction balance returns to the balance as of June 12.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi @Richard233,

Are you sure that you have opened the correct Quicken data file ("QDF")?  It sounds like you may have opened an old version of your QDF.

Do you make regular backups?  Have you tried to restore/open one of those?

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Richard233
    Richard233 Member ✭✭
    The file I am using is a QDF data file. It includes all my transactions through June 12, 2020 but won't save any entries made after that date. Could the size of the file be an issue?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very unlikely that the size of your data file is the problem because with respect to transactions, reports and graphs the only limit is the size of your computer's hard drive.  Are you sure that the new transactions are missing?  Try this:

1) Open your check register;
    2) Click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right hand corner;
    3) Click on "Sorting Options" and then click "by Date"
    4) Next - At the top of the register (just under the Account Name) there are 3 boxes - click on the "Reset" button to the right of those boxes.
    5) Next - go to the top of the "Date" column and make sure the little arrow is pointing "Up".

You should see the most recent entries just above the first blank line.  Are the missing recent transactions there?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Richard233
    Richard233 Member ✭✭
    I went through the process you outlined above and the transactions I entered were not there. I also did an edit-Find/Replace and the missing transactions did not show up.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again Richard233,

When you did the Edit > Find search - what did you search on?  Was it the date?  If so, do me a favor and try the Edit > Find again but search on either the payee, or the amount of one (or more) of the missing transactions.  I am thinking that you may have a bunch of bad dates in those transactions and they may be sitting in another year.

Frankx

• Richard233
    Richard233 Member ✭✭
    My previous edit>find was by payee. Now I did an edit>find by amount. The result is that none of the transactions I entered since 6/12/2020 are in the data file. I reentered the last transaction I previously entered. After entering three letters the transaction came up with the vendor name and the correct amount so the software remembers the transaction but the transaction doesn't get saved to the data file.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Richard233,

Are you using either Quicken Mobile or Web?  If so, I suggest that you disable them and then try to "find" the dropped transactions in the register again.  If you still cannot see them, then reenter them again > close out Quicken > reopen Quicken. 

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• Richard233
    Richard233 Member ✭✭
    Quicken Mobile & Web is closed and the password vault was closed. I did a Validate and Repair. I did a Report, Transactons for the month of June to see if any transactions seemed unusual. I deleted a couple of transactions. I reentered a couple of transactions and closed Quicken. When I opened Quicken, the newly entered transactions were gone.

I made a sanitized copy of the file. Would seeing this help in any way?

I really appreciate your help with this.
  • Richard233
    Richard233 Member ✭✭
    The last transactions I entered stayed posted but to the wrong account. I moved them to the correct account and added additional transactions. It looks like things are working after I closed the Mobile & Web and password vault.
  • Richard233
    Richard233 Member ✭✭
    I entered several more transactions and all that I entered do not show up. Back to Square one.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Richard233,

Just thought that I'd check back in with you,  The more I think about it, the more i believe that your problem is related to the Q Mobile & Web connection.  Is it possible that you've reactivated one or both of those?

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.