Not Enough Memory to Proceed

Quicken auto-updated to a newer version and now I am getting a "Not Enough Memory to Proceed" message.
I tried reinstalling and updating the software and I am still getting this message.
When I run Task Manager it appears that I have plenty of CPU and Memory.
I am running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.30
Any thoughts on what I need to do? Thanks!

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please try this:

Reboot Windows.
    Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file, for example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
    Usually this file is located in your \Documents\Quicken folder.

Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
    If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.

• If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,
      • When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from  your account at quicken.com, your CD or saved downloaded installation file and allow it to update to the latest available patch release level.

• siegelmichael
    siegelmichael Windows Beta Beta
    I tried renaming the file, but I still received the same message, so I could not validate the file.
    i then uninstalled Quicken, ran qcleanui, reinstalled Quicken, but still the same result. Any other ideas? i need to get back up and running again.
    Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @siegelmichael try this.  Set your Windows date to say a month ago, and then try to open Quicken with that data file.

What sometimes happens is you have a reminder that is set to automatically enter into the register, and it get corrupted.  This makes Quicken think that it is "way behind" on entering this reminder into your register, and as such it goes into a loop of entering these into the register, and as it does it is consuming memory and eventually runs out of memory and crashes.

If you can get into Quicken after setting your date back by a month then you need to fix the problem reminder.  One way would be to change any automatically entered reminder to "remind me".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • siegelmichael
    This laptop is controlled by my employer's IT department so it would not let me.
    Is there a way to run validate on a file without opening the Quicken application? Would this be able to identify and fix it?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    You can validate a file that you haven't "opened", but in fact part of validating is opening the file so you might run into the same problem.  And also I'm not sure if validate is going to fix this problem or not.

First open Quicken without opening a file:
    Hold down Ctrl+Shift and double click on the Quicken Desktop shortcut to open it.
    Next select: File -> File Operations -> Validate and Repair... -> select Browse... and loading your file, and then select Validate file and then OK
    Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I tried renaming the file, but I still received the same message, so I could not validate the file.
    i then uninstalled Quicken, ran qcleanui, reinstalled Quicken, but still the same result. Any other ideas? i need to get back up and running again.
    Thanks!
    I'm confused.  If you followed @UKR's instructions, you should have been able to open the Quicken basic menu and select File, File Operations, Validate and Repair.  Did you get Quicken to open before you got the memory error?  The purpose of renaming the file is so that Quicken doesn't try to automatically open the last data file.  If you can't even open Quicken then it must be something other than the data file causing the problem.
    Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • siegelmichael
    Sorry for the confusion. I get the "Not Enough Memory to Proceed" message before Quicken opens. I followed @UKR's instructions so I uninstalled my Quicken install, successfully ran the qcleanui program, and then successfully installed a clean copy of Quicken.
  • siegelmichael
    When I try to open (I renamed my data file) I get the same "Not Enough Memory to Proceed" message.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    What is bothering me is that if Quicken can't find the last data file, it should open to the basic menu with File in the upper left corner (there may be a couple new user screens first).  At that point it hasn't tried to open any data file yet. You could try following @Chris_QPW 's suggestion for starting Quicken without opening a file:

Chris_QPW said:
    Hold down Ctrl+Shift and double click on the Quicken Desktop shortcut to open it.
    Next select: File -> File Operations -> Validate and Repair... -> select Browse... and loading your file, and then select Validate file and then OK

Quicken user since 1995
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    When I run Task Manager it appears that I have plenty of CPU and Memory.
    I am running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.30
    Any thoughts on what I need to do? Thanks!
    When I open Quicken without opening a data file, it takes less that 40MB of memory.
    If I then open my normal data file, it jumps to around 85MB which is still pretty small.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jrfaris I'm sorry, but you are getting this thread off track.

@siegelmichael 's problem is that when he/she opens the data file Quicken runs out of memory and crashes.  Therefore it isn't possible to run validate while that data file is loaded.   And the most likely cause of this is a run away reminder.  And since @jrfaris your data file doesn't have such a problem you can't compare what Quicken is using memory wise.

@siegelmichael Have you tried as I suggested to open Quicken without the data file loaded and then run validate on your data file by browsing to it?

Chris_QPW said:
    You can validate a file that you haven't "opened", but in fact part of validating is opening the file so you might run into the same problem.  And also I'm not sure if validate is going to fix this problem or not.

Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @Chris_QPW, I'll just say that there is no confirmation that Quicken has been opened without a data file.  If not, then it's likely a clean install problem rather than a data file reminder problem.
    Quicken user since 1995
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @jrfaris,We've seen the "runaway reminder" issue previously.  And, it acts EXACTLY as @Chris_QPW is describing.
    SO, I concur with him that you're derailing the thread.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • siegelmichael
    Thanks everyone for their help....
    I am opening Quicken without a data file.
    Since it is now a clean install there is no history of any previous files.
    I only use one data file, and prior to doing the clean install, I renamed it.

When trying to open the Quicken file I discovered that even though I have an error box that says "Not enough memory to proceed", I do have the initial Quicken screen with File and Help options on the left.

When I try to open a file, from the File Open option on this screen and nothing happens. Another "Not enough memory to proceed box proceed" appears.

When I go to File-->File Operations-->Validate & Repair and select my file and Enter, another box appears with the same not enough memory message.

When I start clicking OK on the error boxes a series of about 7 boxes of the same message appear and then finally the Quicken Application closes.

My theory is that Windows ran an update and Quicken did so on the same day and that's when things went haywire.
    Everything was fine until then. I am on:
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.30
    Quicken Version R27.28
    Build 27.1.27.28
    I looked at the update history of what was done today and none of the updates were Windows related. Only Office related.
    Any thoughts?
  • siegelmichael
    In regards to the "runaway reminder", if my data file was corrupted i would still get the opening Quicken screen, without an error message prior to trying to opening file. I can't get that far, as the error is occurring before trying to open any data files.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @siegelmichael if you get that error even without a data file @jrfaris was right and I was wrong.

When you did the clean uninstall did you follow the "First" and "Second" instructions?
    Quicken Inc likes to believe that by incorporating "QcleanUI" into the uninstall they will fix such problems, but most of the problems center around back program or configuration files.  The "Second" step of renaming these folders gets them out of the way so new ones will be created.  I actually just delete them instead of renaming them, they are just trying to "be safe", but in reality I don't know what you ever do to move them back to "back out" of such an operation.
    Signature:
  • siegelmichael
    I did.
    After doing the uninstall, there were only three files left and I moved them to a new folder and ran the "QcleanUI" before doing the install.

I tried the whole process again and now Quicken opens. I did a File Validate and everything appears to be working. No idea why, but I'm back in business!
    Thanks again...
This discussion has been closed.