Home Before you Buy

Any reason to upgrade?

SheepchildSheepchild Member ✭✭
B) Hello and thanks for being here to help. I've been a Quicken user for years. Right now I'm using Quicken Premiere 2017 and, except for occasionally shaking my fist at it, am reasonably satisfied. I don't and have never used any online service either with Quicken or Turbo Tax. I also don't use it on any mobile or other devices; all just on one machine and data backed up religiously. All that being said, is there any reason for me to upgrade? And if I did upgrade, I'm assuming that the end of subscription would work as it has recently with 2017 and the product would, as I use it, remain fully functional.

Thanks for "listening" and I do appreciate the help. Be safe.

Best Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    No! Stay where you are if you are satisfied.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I see no real reason for you to upgrade and one big reason not to.  Almost all the new functionality has to do with online services.

With the subscription version of Quicken is your let your subscription lapse you will be able to use it as you are using Quicken 2017, but about 25% of the screen will be taken up with ads telling you to renew your subscription.  Note if the edition is the Starter edition, it is even worse in that it will become read-only if you let the subscription lapse.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @ Sheepchild,

Honestly, if you are happy with how you are using Quicken now and don't plan to change that (e.g. don't want or need downloads, investment quotes, bill pay, etc.) you'd be better off continuing to use your 2017 version.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

Accepted Answer
    No! Stay where you are if you are satisfied.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
    Accepted Answer
    I see no real reason for you to upgrade and one big reason not to.  Almost all the new functionality has to do with online services.

With the subscription version of Quicken is your let your subscription lapse you will be able to use it as you are using Quicken 2017, but about 25% of the screen will be taken up with ads telling you to renew your subscription.  Note if the edition is the Starter edition, it is even worse in that it will become read-only if you let the subscription lapse.
  • FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @ Sheepchild,

Honestly, if you are happy with how you are using Quicken now and don't plan to change that (e.g. don't want or need downloads, investment quotes, bill pay, etc.) you'd be better off continuing to use your 2017 version.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • SheepchildSheepchild Member ✭✭
    Wow. As I thought but thank you all for your honest and strong responses. Another factor is not really needing to lighten my wallet just now.

I've just reconciled all my accounts. And was reminded that familiarity and comfort level as I navigate around is pretty important to me. I did investigate switching products but the ones I looked at were lacking one thing or another that I really depend on in Quicken. So the vote to stay with the version I'm comfortable with is even more of a positive.

Wow redux.

Thank you all *so* much!
    > @GeoffG said:
    > No! Stay where you are if you are satisfied.

I will and I am!
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > ... Almost all the new functionality has to do with online services.
    >
    > With the subscription version of Quicken is your let your subscription lapse you will be able to use it as you are using Quicken 2017, but about 25% of the screen will be taken up with ads telling you to renew your subscription.  Note if the edition is the Starter edition, it is even worse in that it will become read-only if you let the subscription lapse.

Oh my! I get nagged now but it's not hugely intrusive. Thank you more than enough for the warning.
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @ Sheepchild,
    >
    > Honestly, if you are happy with how you are using Quicken now and don't plan to change that (e.g. don't want or need downloads, investment quotes, bill pay, etc.) you'd be better off continuing to use your 2017 version.
    >
    > Frankx

I am indeed quite satisfied and have NO plans to change the way I use it. Thanks so much for reinforcing my plan to stay put.
    As long as you've decide to stay with your version, you may want to consider ensuring you are on the latest/final release for Q2017. This will contain all final bug fixes for your version.

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. As I thought but thank you all for your honest and strong responses. Another factor is not really needing to lighten my wallet just now.

I've just reconciled all my accounts. And was reminded that familiarity and comfort level as I navigate around is pretty important to me. I did investigate switching products but the ones I looked at were lacking one thing or another that I really depend on in Quicken. So the vote to stay with the version I'm comfortable with is even more of a positive.

Wow redux.

Thank you all *so* much!
    Hi @Sheepchild ,

Everyone told you what you needed to know, but left out something very important, especially if you haven't saved a copy of Quicken Premier 2017 installer to your computer or onto a USB Flash Drive or onto a DVD Rewrite able Disk.

You should save a copy of the Installer, because you told know how long it will be available to you, online.

This is something that Users fail to think about. Plus I would save a copy of the last Mondo Patch for Quicken 2017.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R30.10  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20262.1010
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.630

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

> @thecreator said:
    > (Quote)
    > Hi @Sheepchild ,
    >
    You should save a copy of the Installer, because you told know how long it will be available to you, online.
    >
    > This is something that Users fail to think about. Plus I would save a copy of the last Mondo Patch for Quicken 2017.

Wow (again!). I do have my original installer but I downloaded a few of the Mondos that came after it, including, as you say, the last one. Also the release notes.

Thank you so much. I should have (but hadn't) thought of that!
    > @mshiggins said:
    I did want to keep my investment prices up to date, though, so built an Excel tool to pull down prices from yahoo and format them for the security price CSV import. 

Entering investment data is a royal pain. Can you share the Yahoo address where you get your data? Then, after you get it, can you convert CSV to QIF and have it mean anything?

Thanks for this. It's an idea I'll play with. I do so little in Excel I'll have to make myself a refresher course. 8-)
    @Sheepchild @mshiggins suggestion has to do with importing security prices, not investment transactions.
    Right; I sort of realized that. Well of course. I really wouldn't want Yahoo to have my transactions now, would I? Brain warp. Apologies. I'll go quietly...
    Hmm. Well I've used ProperSoft's (https://www.propersoft.net/) conversion tools for years and just end up performing file>import QIF for every type of data entry. I've never used the QFX directly because Quicken always "wanted" to connect somewhere. But I can download QFX, CSV, whatever and convert to QIF and I'm good to go. I prefer to manually download and import. I do it in a two-step process, importing into a temporary directory from whence I check the entries, attach tax tags and then move them to the "real" account for reconciliation. I've gotten used to doing it that way. It might be that if I had many, many accounts to work with, I might feel differently.

Oh dear. I read my entries and they positively shout old-school don't they. Ah well. I have time for that just now. :*
    @Sheepchild That is basically the same approach as I was suggesting in my last comment.
    @Chris_QPW :| Good to know either I'm on the right track ... or I have company off of it.
This discussion has been closed.