Home Before you Buy

Is there a Basic version (NO SUBSCRIPTION)

NBarryb64NBarryb64 Member ✭✭
I am the owner of Quicken 2016 Deluxe for Windows. Lately, the software will crash when loading and no error message. This happens every other time. Not funny guys! I just want a simple check register program to help keep track of my two bank account. No stocks, already have a budget via Excel, don't need any of the frills that you're offering. I definitely do not want a subscription. What are my alternative?? That's why I'm looking for the basic version - no subscription.

Answers

• NBarryb64NBarryb64 Member ✭✭
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I do download my transactions from these two accounts. That is the extent of my online banking.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no currently supported version of Quicken that is not subscription.
    QW2016 has not supported/permitted downloading & importation of .QFX Web Connect files or One Step Updates  since the end of April 2019, so I'm guessing that you are doing QIF file downloads and imports.
    Your only other choice would be to upgrade to QW2017 if using US Quicken, but it still will not do online banking (downloading).  Canadian Quicken started the subscription model in 2017.
    If you have somehow managed to get around the discontinuation of online banking support of QW2016, don't change a thing, you are existing on borrowed time and any change will probably cause the ability to cease and you will not be able to get it working again.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as Q 2016 crashing is concerned ... unless something has damaged your software installation, it is quite possible that your data file has become damaged as a result of one of those crashes.
    to see if that will help.
    > @splasher said:
    > There is no currently supported version of Quicken that is not subscription.QW2016 has not supported/permitted downloading & importation of .QFX Web Connect files or One Step Updates  since the end of April 2019, so I'm guessing that you are doing QIF file downloads and imports.Your only other choice would be to upgrade to QW2017 if using US Quicken, but it still will not do online banking (downloading).  Canadian Quicken started the subscription model in 2017.If you have somehow managed to get around the discontinuation of online banking support of QW2016, don't change a thing, you are existing on borrowed time and any change will probably cause the ability to cease and you will not be able to get it working again.

So, that is what happened. I was not aware that Quicken stop supporting webconnect or download. What are my alternative since I've no desire to play subscription model?
    I know that probably time consuming. Is there an easy way to create an Excel spreadsheet to help track my finance? I already have a basic one tracking my budget.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    There is this new free app....Simplifi
    https://www.quicken.com/simplifi
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    volvogirl said:
    There is this new free app....Simplifi
    https://www.quicken.com/simplifi
    Simplifi isn't free.  It is a subscrition.
    https://simplifimoney.com/
    https://simplifimoney.com/pick-your-plan
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    NBarryb64 said:
    So, that is what happened. I was not aware that Quicken stop supporting webconnect or download. What are my alternative since I've no desire to play subscription model?
    QIF file importing isn't cut off.
    FAQ: A program to add the account name and type to QIF files so that Quicken will import them. — Quicken
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > (Quote)
    > QIF file importing isn't cut off.
    > FAQ: A program to add the account name and type to QIF files so that Quicken will import them. — Quicken

I am not following you. Should this not be going the other way around? That is, easily exporting my account information in Quicken into Excel 2016?
    You can import transactions in QIF format the same way you would in QFX format.
    One difference, Quicken ignores the renaming rules when importing QIF files.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    One difference, Quicken ignores the renaming rules when importing QIF files.
    Is that the case with QW2016? I thought that was only the case with QW2017+.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5
    An active subscription is what allows the Web Connect, Express Web Connect, and Direct Connect connections methods to be used to import transactions from financial institutions.  Your Quicken 2016 subscription expired at the end of April 2019: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

As Quicken is crashing, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

There are a number of ways to export data from Quicken: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-export-data-quicken
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Quicken Windows has been ignoring renaming rules for QIF imports for at least 20 years.  This is true for Quicken 2017 and below, but it does process memorized payees (to get the category) and matches existing transactions in the register (but not very well).

For Quicken Windows Subscription they dropped almost all the processing and transactions imported by QIF go directly into the register.  I found out recently that transfer matching is still done.

Note in reality there are lots of differences between QFX imports and QIF imports, but usually for the simple "I want to import my transactions from a financial institution" use case they don't apply.  Here are some of them.

QIF format:
    1. Allows for having categories and tags.
    2. Allows for having split transactions.
    3. No unique Id.
    4. Numbers are just numbers, as in there isn't anything in them that determines the currency, the account they are imported into determines this.
    5. Non standard and as such people/companies/countries have taken liberties in "extending" the format.  For instance changing the date format.  Note Quicken Windows US/Canadian only take MM/DD/YYYY year format, which actually comes in two formats because of how they handled Y2K problem.  It also accepts MM/DD/YY where 1900 is added to YY and MM/DD'YY where 2000 is added to YY.
    6. Format allows for security options, but no way to specify lots as such a sell is always FIFO.
    QFX format:
    1. No categories or tags.
    2. No split transactions.
    3. Unique Id for checking for duplicate transactions.
    4. Numbers are in a given currency.  Note that Quicken Windows US only allows importing of USD transactions.  Quicken Windows Canadian can import transactions with different currencies, provided they match the currency of the account.
    5. Standardized protocol with much less likelihood of "non standard extensions".  And more tolerant of them when they are added.  As in fields that aren't supported are ignored.  And it has a standardized date format.
    6. More support for security options.
    P.S.  Quicken Subscription is from 2018 and beyond.  Quicken 2017 and below behave the same way.
    It sounds like the QIF frmat will allow for the use of categories and such. Thereby, it would be best to import my current financial data into QIF and then export to my Excel Workbook. Right?
    @NBarryb64 Sorry the information above is off track of what you were asking.  Its about the flow of QIF files into Quicken.  You are asking about how to get data out of Quicken because it is crashing on you.

You can export a QIF file (or files) to get this data, but then you would have to turn around and find a QIF to CSV converter.

For your simple use case exporting directly to CSV format will probably be the better way.

Go to one of the registers and type Ctrl+P.
    Change starting date to be old enough to print all the transactions in the register.
    You may or may not want to include the splits, you can see what it looks like by trying it both ways.

Select Export to:  and select .PRN (123-compatible) disk file.
    Select Export.
    When you put in the name make sure you end it with .CSV.  A .PRN file is really just a CSV file, and if you save it that way when you open it, it will go right into Excel (unlike the tab one that will be a .txt that you have open from Excel and tell it that it is using tabs)

Repeat for the other account.
    Hi Chris_QPW It worked like a charm. I just need to do some cleaning up; as in looking nice and easy to read. The "Categories" is the only debatable column. I'll decide later.I'll be glad to be done with my old copy. As you pointed out, the clock is ticking on that software.
    @NBarryb64 Glad to hear it.  Just so you know if you were going to migrate to a different personal finance software the better choice would be to export everything in QIF format, which most of them can read in.  The main problem with CSV is there isn't any standard of what any given column means.  Even though the QIF format isn't formally standardized, for the most part it is known what each field is for.
This discussion has been closed.