Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

MAJOR BUG with Category Transaction Report (Q Mac)

Scott Rose
Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta

We have uncovered a MAJOR BUG with the Category Transaction Report. 

We tried to create a very simple category transaction report (Reports > Create Transaction Report > Category > Continue To Customize).

We chose:

- all dates
- all accounts (including hidden)
- all categories
- all tags
- excluded all transfers
- “income & expense”

WE ONLY MADE ONE RESTRICTION FOR THIS ENTIRE REPORT:

We restricted the report to 1 payee only: “Geico Renters Insurance”. 

We only have 5 transactions for this payee. All we wanted to see was those 5 transactions.

When the report was created, it successfully showed us only that one payee in the “Expenses” section of the report. It showed us all 5 of our “Geico Renters Insurance” payments. 

Okay, that's fine. Everything is working fine so far.

But here’s the bug: 

For some reason, Quicken Mac added on an “Income” section to our report that showed us EVERY SINGLE BROKERAGE TRANSACTION THAT WE HAVE EVER MADE THAT RESULTED IN INCOME

Thousands of brokerage transactions in this report. 

The Payee Name that we selected (“Geico Renters insurance”) has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with any of our brokerage transactions at all. 

The *ONLY* thing that should have been showing up on this report were the 5 expenses for this payee (“Geico Renters Insurance”), but Quicken decided to add on every single brokerage transaction that we have ever made — which had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with what we requested.

Please fix.

Thank you.

Answers

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I observe the same behavior where the report includes a section "Income > Investments > Realized Gain/Loss" in addition to the desired "Expense > Home > Home Insurance". Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of transactions going back to the beginning of my recorded financial life.

I created this report by selecting the built in report Transactions by Category and customizing as described in the original post above.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I am seeing similar.

The reported transactions aren't even G/L transactions to begin with.

This has been reported.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I can also replicate this as described.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    There's no option to either include/exclude in the Advanced tab.

Probably makes more sense to have the report filter out the realized gain/loss by matching the payee name although I have thought that through. I suppose someone will want to create a customized report (not necessarily this specific customization) where they do want this to display.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Seems to me that since each Realized Gain line has an entry in the Payee column, and since those payee names don't match the single payee selected in the customization, that is is a bug, plain and simple.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.