I'm a victim of the 'ooops error'. How do I set up a temporary data file???

I'm in the middle of doing my taxes and need access to my account. Help, please. I've used Quicken for 20 years.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @b.a.teller,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

We will need some more information in order for us to better assist you. 

Please, specify which version of Quicken you are running.
    • Windows - Help > About Quicken
    • Mac - Quicken > About Quicken
    Also, which action is prompting the error you are receiving, and what is your end goal, or what is it you would like to accomplish in the end?

If you don't mind, please, provide a brief overview of the questions above.
    -Quicken Anja
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To create a new Quicken file, press the Ctrl key when you open Quicken and select File > New Quicken File...
  • b.a.teller
    b.a.teller Member ✭✭
    I appreciate both responses, but both said I could simply reply to the email, the address of each which was 'no-reply...'. Where is the sense in that?
    To Anja, my pc is a newer Dell using Win 10 Pro; Year 2000 (an update from Q2017 Deluxe); Version R27.28; Build 27.1.27.28. I'd entered the file ID and was asked for my Quicken ID beginning last week, which it would not accept even though I had it written down in front of me. I changed my password, which was accepted, but when told to enter it, it was rejected yet again. How on earth am I supposed to finish my tax return due in one week?
    To Sherlock: Your response was too incomplete. Opening a new file would mean starting from scratch wouldn't it? If I'm wrong, please explain the way you should have in your response.
    Thank you.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate both responses, but both said I could simply reply to the email, the address of each which was 'no-reply...'. Where is the sense in that?
    To Anja, my pc is a newer Dell using Win 10 Pro; Year 2000 (an update from Q2017 Deluxe); Version R27.28; Build 27.1.27.28. I'd entered the file ID and was asked for my Quicken ID beginning last week, which it would not accept even though I had it written down in front of me. I changed my password, which was accepted, but when told to enter it, it was rejected yet again. How on earth am I supposed to finish my tax return due in one week?
    To Sherlock: Your response was too incomplete. Opening a new file would mean starting from scratch wouldn't it? If I'm wrong, please explain the way you should have in your response.
    Thank you.
    You asked:  

How do I set up a temporary data file???

I provided you with the appropriate answer for the question you asked.

My assumption is you needed to create a temporary file to recover from the Oops error - not to start from scratch.

I suggest you contact Quicken Support:  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.
    Hi @""b.a.teller" ,

If you change your Quicken User ID password, it should be done at: https://www.quicken.com/
    using your Browser not Quicken.
    Click Sign In and choose My Account.
    Try both passwords and if neither work, click Forgot password.
    Once you have the password, working correctly in your browser, by signing out and back in, go back to Quicken Program and click "Sign in as a different User" and finally Report Back.

Remember your Password cannot contain any of these Special Characters:
    < ; & : > ; / ; \.

Reference: https://www.quicken.com/support/password-vault-your-bank-could-not-use-password-you-entered

If the steps above didn't resolve the issue

The cause could be that the bank account login password uses special characters that interfere with Quicken's ability to download transactions. These special characters can be (but are not limited to) the ampersand (&), left carat (<), right carat (>), backslash (\), and forward slash (/). 

1. Log in to your bank's website.
    2. Change your password to use characters other than special characters (such as &, <, >, \, or /). 
    3. Launch Quicken and go to Tools > Password Vault > Add/Edit Passwords.
    4. Click on the account in the Password Vault.
    5. Choose Change Password for the account.
    6. Enter the same password you just used to log into the bank's website, and click Change, then Done.
    7. Select Tools > One Step Update to confirm that the error is resolved.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R33.24  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21390.1010
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19043.1052

Note: Holding Down the Shift Key or Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when clicking About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

This discussion has been closed.