Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required. "ACCT_1de" 0/ 0/1900

I got some errors when validating my file. So I restored a backup. Backup validated with no errors. So I did a download of transactions. I accepted the transactions and did another validation and got the exact same errors. So a good backup file was damaged just by downloading and accepting transactions. There was no power blip. The only thing new is that there was a new version of Quickens Home Business and Rental Property just released (27.1.27.28). By the way, the account "ACCT_1de" does not exist. The log is attached.

So to review, I got errors, restored a backup, validated the backup and it had no errors, downloaded and accepted transactions, validated again and got the same errors. Also, I validated one more time and got:

QDF:
Validating your data.
Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List.

QEL:
No read errors.

QEL:
All internal consistency checks passed.

[Mon Jul 06 12:25:15 2020]
No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be aware that Validate and Repair does not detect and correct all data corruption.  In other words, your backup may contain a corruption that became detectable and correctable only after after you downloaded and accepted those transactions.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭
    Not surprised that validate or super validate cannot fix everything but you would think that it could at least detect all damage.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Authur Begun It depends on the damage.

If I take and image and change some bytes in it that are used to encode the pixels it the image reader might reject it completely.  If I on the other hand change a byte the simply changes a pixel from red to blue the image reader will certainly not care about it, and the human may never notice it (unless say it is the only pixel in a black background).

For the most part validate is going to be looking for "consistent" data structures, like a link from one account to another.

BTW the fact that you getting a ACCT_ sort sounds like it was starting to import into an account hit some kind of error and gave up.  I have noticed that Quicken uses these "temporary accounts" for just that purpose.  As in do something in the like import or move transactions around, and when finished delete them.  Expect that when problems come up it doesn't get to the delete part of this.

One other thing to try is:
    File -> File Operations -> Copy... -> select the defaults(you can rename the copy if you like) and select OK.  And then open that copy and see if the problem is fixed.

This form of the copy does a record by record copy and as such leaves out "deleted" records and such and might leave the problem in the old file.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭
    There is no visible problem with the data. All accounts and transactions seem to be there and all numbers seem to be as they were. When I did a copy of the file after the validation (which I did before posting about the error), it complained about 3 attachments and wanted to know whether it should continue copying attachments. I said yes. The 3 attachments are still there and the rest of the file and attachments looks and acts fine. It is possible that the 3 attachments were not copied but then came back from the cloud. I do not remember when I did a sync before looking for them again.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭
    THERE WAS NOT DATA CORRUPTION. It is a bug in Quicken when you partially accept downloaded transactions in a special way. I did something I never did before. I had a lot of transactions in an account to accept. I accepted a few, went to another account, returned to the first account and accepted some more, repeated several times until I had accepted all transactions from the first account. Apparently if you do that Quicken fails to clean up the temporary spot used for downloaded transactions. If you validate the file it then produces all of the errors I noted. I reported the bug to Quicken.

While doing this I found another bug. When copying a file with attachments attached to some transactions, Quicken complains that there is an error copying an attachment to a recent transaction that was photographed by your cell phone. It does that 2 more times. Yet the attachments are copied OK if you tell it to continue to copy attachments. If you delete those attachments just in case there is a problem with them, it will complain about the next 3 during another copy process. So this is another bug I reported. Hopefully Quicken will fix these 2 bugs soon. A search indicates that many people have gotten stuck on the first bug believing that their data is corrupt when it is not. By the way, I was in the software business for many years and our company had network ready accounting software. If there was any data corruption complaints from one of our customers, it was right before their hard drive permanently died. This was in the 1990's. Not much excuse for data corruption these days in 2020 especially if you use a UPS for back up power like I do.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Arthur Begun for what it is worth when I use  the term "data corruption" in reference to Quicken I'm not implying that it was caused by any hardware failure or such (even though that can cause it).  I would guess that almost every bit of "data corruption" can be traced directly to a bug in the Quicken software of some kind.  A program can easily corrupt its own data file.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. "corrupted" also doesn't mean "usable" or something like that to me, even though it can.  It means "in a bad state".
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Arthur Begun  You can not know THERE WAS NOT DATA CORRUPTION.  You can only know no data corruption was detected when you validated.  So, you may say  THERE WAS NOT DATA CORRUPTION DETECTED  which is a statement I think we all would agree is believable.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭
    (I suppose we don't know whether any of us exist. We all could be characters in a sophisticated on line game.) Putting that aside, originally it was suggested that the corruption validating the file exposed might have previously existed in the file. But by duplication several times, I proved that it was caused by my accepted a few transactions, then going to another account, then returning to the original account and accepting a few more transactions. Repeating a couple of more times. What I did not do was click on "Done" before moving to the other account. I do not know whether that would have avoided the issue and I have already spent enough time on this. Hopefully the programmers at Quicken will fix the problem.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way or another you need to get rid of the temporary account. If you don't you will continue to get haunted by it.

How to resolve Temp_ or ACCT_ accounts

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-resolve-tempaccounts

• Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > One way or another you need to get rid of the temporary account. If you don't you will continue to get haunted by it.How to resolve Temp_ or ACCT_ accounts
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-resolve-tempaccounts

As I explained, I restored a backup which validated fine. Then I avoided getting the temporary account again by avoiding the process I used to accept transactions which involved accepting some from an account, going to a different account, returning to the first account, accepting more, repeating several times. The going to a different account after accepting some transactions and then returning to accept more is what caused the temporary account. It is a bug in Quicken that should be fixed but can be avoided if you don't do what I did.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I can easily reproduce this problem using the instructions that @Arthur Begun posted.  Quicken Inc should fix this problem.  @Arthur Begun if you haven't done so I suggest that you use Help  -> Report a problem... to send it to the developers.
    > (Image)

Thank you for taking the time to reproduce the problem. I did report it to Quicken. If others also reported the problem it is probably more likely to be fixed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Arthur Begun Your welcome, and I have submitted a problem report.

I probably should have tried to reproduce this problem sooner, even if it isn't in my normal workflow (I use automatic transaction entry mode).
    Signature:
  • John Nastasi
    John Nastasi Member ✭✭✭
    I received the following validation errors in the new release after I created Quick Pay and Check Pay transactions.

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired damaged transaction index. No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_21ad" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required.
    "ACCT_21ad" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders.

Summary:
    Quicken repaired 1 accounts. No action required.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:Removed 5 qel records for payments not in register

[Sun Jul 12 10:39:53 2020]
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.

I have nothing that is close to the transaction ("ACCT_21ad" 0/ 0/1900) referred in the error message.

Anyone have any clue what all these errors are referring to?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @John Nastasi For certain operations Quicken creates hidden/temporary accounts.  Sort of a "scratch pad".  Under normal circumstances those accounts get removed when the operation is finished.  But when an error or something stops Quicken from fully finishing the operation that can cause these accounts to be left around.  It also possible that even though the operation actually did finish a bug in the code might have it not cleaning up these accounts.   The purpose of this thread is in fact that @Arthur Begun pointed out one "flow" that would leave these accounts around.  And that depends on how you accept transactions into the the registers.

There might be other flows that also do same thing.  In general I probably wouldn't worry too much about these accounts because I don't think they are really doing any harm, but Quicken Inc should certain track down why they aren't getting cleaned up because not only shouldn't they be left like this, it could be a sign that other important code isn't being executed.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.