Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Schwab DirectConnect failing

This was working fine up through July 1. Then, OL-293-A. No password changes anywhere. Access directly to Schwab website is fine with same credentials. Does anyone have any info on this issue?

Best Answers

Answers

• crashdox
    crashdox Member ✭✭
    Already looked at that, applied all. 2 days in a row now no connection, same obtuse error. Seriously quicken, WHAT was the unrecognized response? That could help alot. Anyway, i hope someone else is seeing this issue.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    (Deleted post--redundant since advice was previously provided above.)
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • crashdox
    crashdox Member ✭✭
    Because I hate posts that end & never say solved or how... For those who come after me...

In this case, my current IP address had been blocked on the Schwab side. No idea why (they could not say either). However, the customer service person on the Schwab side immediately recognized the Quicken OL-293-A code and knew what to look for, got it unblocked, and all was happy again.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    crashdox said:
    Because I hate posts that end & never say solved or how... For those who come after me...

In this case, my current IP address had been blocked on the Schwab side. No idea why (they could not say either). However, the customer service person on the Schwab side immediately recognized the Quicken OL-293-A code and knew what to look for, got it unblocked, and all was happy again.
    Thanks for posting your status on this issue.  You are right, it would be very helpful if everyone would do that so there is a good record for others to reference.
    I'm glad you got it figured out with Schwab.  I've found that many FIs will block IPs they don't recognize or at least require additional authorization before allowing access.  So, I always allow my browser to accept and remember cookies for my FIs and make sure to check "Remember me" when I log into my online account.  I don't know if that helps with Quicken DC OSU or not (I'm thinking it might, especially for DC accounts) but I don't have much of an issue with IP blocking during OSU except sometimes after a browser revision update.  When I do, usually logging back into my online account then resolves it for me.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    So, I always allow my browser to accept and remember cookies for my FIs and make sure to check "Remember me" when I log into my online account.  I don't know if that helps with Quicken DC OSU or not (I'm thinking it might, especially for DC accounts) but I don't have much of an issue with IP blocking during OSU except sometimes after a browser revision update.  When I do, usually logging back into my online account then resolves it for me.
    I think it is quite possible that these settings might affect Direct Connect:

I believe they are still using the "embedded IE" (as the "back end" libraries of IE) for making the connection to the financial institution for Direct Connect.  And if that is true, then these do affect that is done with those libraries.

On the other hand what you set in say Chrome or FireFox or even MS Edge probably won't affect Direct Connect.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mark303
    mark303 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    For me, I figured out that Schwab is blocking international IP addresses in its OFX interface. If I use my home or mobile phone network (UK) it’s blocked. But with my US VPN I get in. If I switch the VPN to any country but the US, it’s blocked.

This all started on 4 July for me. Prior to the 4th, it was working fine without the VPN.
  • akusadi
    akusadi Member
    Same problem, but when I use US based VPN server, it only works occasionally. Instead, it often give OL-295-A errror istead. Which seems to imply Schwab is blocking access via VPN as well. Any solutions for this situation?
  • crashdox
    crashdox Member ✭✭
    I asked Schwab about that when I called, and they said "change your location." Since I don't use a VPN yet, I assumed that people with VPNs can choose their server. It is the first question Schwab asks.
  • richard159
    richard159 Member ✭✭
    I had this problem, and was able to get around it using the US VPN as suggested above. However since updating to the latest Quicken Premier R27.42, I am able to connect to Schwab normally again from outside the US, without the VPN.
This discussion has been closed.