Where does "Cash" amount at bottom of list of securites come from

I have a large amount listed as "cash" at the bottom of my list of investments. I have no idea where this comes from and it inaccurately adds a large amount to my total investments. When i click on it, nothing comes up, so I can' find where this figure comes from. Can anyone help with this?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

Which List of securities are you referring to?

If you're referring to the cash from an account, I suggest reconciling the account register against a statement obtained from the financial institution.

• GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    I am using the latest version of Quicken 2020 and the list is the list of securities you see when you click on Investments. The cash amount was never there until I updated to the new version from version 2017 about 2 months ago. There is no actual account I can reconcile. There is just a cash amount and clicking on it does not bring up anything. I don't know where this amount comes from. I have a number of CD's I have marked as investments, but the amount that is shown is not the total of those CD's.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrandmaJo said:
    I am using the latest version of Quicken 2020 and the list is the list of securities you see when you click on Investments. The cash amount was never there until I updated to the new version from version 2017 about 2 months ago. There is no actual account I can reconcile. There is just a cash amount and clicking on it does not bring up anything. I don't know where this amount comes from. I have a number of CD's I have marked as investments, but the amount that is shown is not the total of those CD's.
    Where do you click on Investments?

Perhaps you can provide a screen capture.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I assume you are referring to the Portfolio tab under Investments?  If so, one way that can happen is that you have included a "savings" account in the accounts you have selected to include in Portfolio via the Customize button AND under the Customize Securities tab you have checked "No security (includes cash) AND you have set Group by to "Security"

A quick way to see if this is your situation is to change the group by setting to "Accounts" and you will then see cash broken out in any of those savings type accounts that you have designated as account intent: Investments (i.e they are in the investments part of your account bar on the left side of your home screen)
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
This discussion has been closed.