Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Can you split screen with Chrome? (Q Mac)

debbieg
debbieg Member ✭✭
with mac 2020 quicken - i am unable to view the register and my bank account (via Chrome) side by side. Does split screen work with only apple products and therefore - won't work with Quicken. I was trying to see my entries from my bank and compare to quicken register - side by side. I can tile the quicken window left or right - but get the "No available windows" on the other half of the screen. Same thing happens when I bring up chrome - can tile to left or right - but "no available windows" on the other half of the screen. Can't seem to get them side by side.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, you can split-screen with Quicken and Chrome. At least I can using macOS 10.15.5, Quicken 5.17.1 and Chrome 83.0. Steps to accomplish:

1. Open Chrome to your banking page
    2. Open Quicken. 
    3. Double click the register in the side bar to bring it up in its own window.
    4. Click menu Window > Tile Window to Right of Screen

At this point, you should see large thumbnails of all other open windows spread out on the left side. Click the one for Chrome and you will have Chrome on the left and Quicken on the right. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to add a little more information on Split View based on my discoveries while checking out the procedure provided by @RickO I am using macOS Mojave 10.14.6

1) The procedure is a bit different if you are not using macOS Catalina. Apple has a support article with the details: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204948 (Use two Mac apps side by side in Split View).

2) Step 3 in RickO's procedure hints at another requirement for Split View: to use a split view, the two windows must fit into the width of your computers display.

Example:
    My MacBook Pro 13" with Retina display defaults to 1280 pixels wide. 

- The minimum width of the Quicken main window is 1024 pixels.
    - The minimum width of a Chrome window is 500 pixels.
    > These two window exceed the display width, so you get the message "No available windows" or "Not available in this split view" when you try to add the Chrome window.

But if you go to System Preferences > Display and scale the display resolution to Much More Space, then (on my MacBook) you can get a display of 1680. Now Quicken and Chrome will share a Split View because 1024 + 500 is less than 1680 pixels.

And using RickO's example:
    - The minimum width of an account register in its own window is 860 pixels.
    - The minimum width of a Chrome window is (still) 500 pixels.
    > Thus a split view can be set up in a display with 860 + 500 => 1360 pixels. Not enough for my 13" MacBook, but good enough for most other Macs, and even my MacBook can do it if I scale the display one notch to 1440 pixels.

Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6
This discussion has been closed.