Super Validate finds same errors every day

Answers

• quick20
    quick20 Member ✭✭✭
    Update on Validate/Super Validate: When you run Validate/Super Validate you only get the errors if you previously accepted downloaded transactions one by one. If you "accept all" after downloading the new transactions the errors do not appear after running Validate/Super Validate. It seems to be a bug in the program. Does anyone know if Quicken is addressing?

Validate/Super Validate Errors:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired damaged transaction index. No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_814" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required.
    "ACCT_814" 0/ 0/1900
    "ACCT_814" 0/ 0/1900
    "ACCT_814" 0/ 0/1900
  • Roger Snook
    Roger Snook Member ✭✭
    Still getting these - but I will say, running the MONDO patch as Administrator helped alleviate many of the odd display issues. https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
  • tkiyak
    tkiyak Member ✭✭
    Just wanted to add my name to the list of people that have come across this problem. On the hand, I have never seen anything get corrupted or any data lost, so for now it seems to be one of the less critical errors (unlike some of the other issues posted on the forum that actually leads to data loss).
  • JohnC
    JohnC Member ✭✭
    I'm adding my name to the list of users having the same problem. I've also went through most all of the steps suggested. Since this has been a problem for almost eight months has any communication come from the Quicken development team?

It takes a lot of effort to search for information in the community since each user describes their problem in a different manner. Quicken started out as a finance program to track what has happened and now it devotes most effort into planning into the far future.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto here.  Same issue.  I do a Validate once a month and these messages show up everytime.  It takes 1 Validate to show the messages, another validate to show the "Quicken repaired damaged transaction index. No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it." messages are cleared.
    And another Validate to clear the "Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List." error.
    It seems like poor cleanup on Quicken's part.
    Quicken Deluxe Subscription; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭
    It would be helpful if when the message "Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_814" 0/ 0/1900" is displayed it also displays the name of the actual account it is supposedly fixing.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be helpful if ... it also displays the name of the actual account it is supposedly fixing.
    Agreed. Please go to this "idea" thread and vote for it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • movingelys
    movingelys Member ✭✭
    I am seeing this too. Years ago there was a thread that told you how to find these temporary accounts by searching for transactions with no amount or something like that and it worked but I can't remember how to do it.
  • Dl260
    Dl260 Member
    edited March 10
    [removed - duplicate]
  • mmann32
    mmann32 Member ✭✭
    edited March 12
    Same error, seems like Quicken will not acknowledge or address this. It's been happening to me for almost a year. I suggest validating daily, since if this is let to persist without doing so, Quicken accumulates hundreds if not thousands of these temporary accounts, becomes very unstable and crashes at the slightest touch of any button, tab or changing account windows.

ERROR DIRECTLY BELOW:

Quicken repaired damaged transaction index. No action required.

Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_5e75" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required

(this repeated 12X, which = the quantity of transactions I accepted one by one).

Wow, and just as I was finishing this up, I happened to switch windows in Quicken and it crashed, again ... Looks like it may be time for a clean re-install. Started Quicken after the crash, ran file validation and no errors found. This error and these crashes ARE NOT data corruption issues as some suggest. The underlying program is unstable and has been for years.

What happened to my beloved Quicken? This used to be such a great piece of SW; now I may be forced to find other options ....
  • Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)
    Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I am also experiencing the same issue. The issue even starts occuring very shortly after creating a brand new Quicken file. The errors from File Validation look like this:
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired damaged transaction index.  No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_8"  0/ 0/1900
    Quicken repaired some transaction information.  No action required.
     "ACCT_8"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_8"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_8"  0/ 0/1900
     "ACCT_8"  0/ 0/1900
  • Dl260
    Dl260 Member
    From 3/9 - I have the same issue. I have been restoring back to an earlier backup and then reentering missing transactions and then... it happens again after a few days.

I'm so glad to see that a lot of people are getting this issue and it's not my data file.

Quicken, please raise the priority on this issue. So many people are going crazy when they get this and trying to fix it, not knowing if their data is good or not.

You keep sending us information on how much better your company is becoming but this long running problem indicates the opposite.

Please fix this. Our lives are busy enough without a major, important tool causing us concern.

Update 3/14 - I can confirm that accepting individual transactions causes the problem (i got 23 errors for 15 accepted transactions) but accept all doesn't cause a problem
  • Dl260
    Dl260 Member
    Does anyone know if after doing two validate and repairs that your data file is really fixed without hidden damage?
    @DI260: I recommend that you open a support ticket with Quicken Support for this issue. I have an open ticket that includes this issue - and other issues. So far, Quicken's position on this issue is that I am the only user in their entire user base experiencing this problem; therefore, the issue must be corruption in my data file, and their solution is that I should start a new file. However, obviously, I am not the only one experiencing the issue and I have tried starting a new file and the problem appears in the brand new file in very short order.

I can readily reproduce this issue in a newly created file.

Quicken has also strongly recommended to me that I not run frequent file validations - which puts me in an awkward position. I don't trust not running frequent validations, because there are obviously issues being introduced to the data file; conversely, I am now a bit concerned about running validations.

Coming back to my main message, the best way to get attention on this issue is to contact Quicken Support and open a ticket for the issue. That approach does tend to attract more attention than complaining on the forum. The more support tickets are opened on this issue, the more attention it will attract. Until more tickets are opened, Quicken will continue to assert that it is a one user problem.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    One would have hoped Quicken moderators to have elevated this issue to Quicken support after seeing these posts.
    Quicken Deluxe Subscription; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    @leishirute: While it seems to most of us that moderators would refer apparent issues surfaced in the community to the developers, that appears to be a weak link. It happens occasionally, but more often, what you'll see - if the moderators chime in at all - is a moderator will post a recommendation that one or more of the thread participants contact Quicken Support about the issue.

If you expect moderators to pick up on an issue surfaced in the forum and get the developers working on it in a timely manner, you are - in most cases - simply going to be Waiting for Godot - the fix ain't ever coming.

Setting about the discussion about how things should work, I encourage everyone who is having this issue to contact Quicken Phone Support and open a ticket specifically regarding this issue.

Just two weeks ago, I had Tier 3 tech support telling me that I am the only Quicken user experiencing this issue. At that time, I provided another copy of the validation log file showing the repeating errors and haven't heard back from them. Evidently, the issue hasn't caught the attention of senior tech support and/or the developers yet. So, if you want to change that situation, you need to open a support ticket.
  • rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭
    There is and has been multiple threads describing this type of error. To say that you are the only Quicken user experiencing this issue is nonsense. Do they even bother looking at these threads and user posts? I've experienced this same problem. There are also many users who probably never validate their file since they don't appear to be experiencing any problem. If they did do a validate it would most likely produce the same errors and send them into a panic. To imply that everyone's data file is corrupt is just deflecting the blame. Quicken support should be more proactive by monitoring all threads to identify common problems and pass that information along to the development team rather on just relying solely on users to file a trouble reports. If they don't then the Quicken Community becomes no more than a means for Quicken users to vent their frustrations. On another note, if they're going to continue to put out these type of error messages they could at least identify the accounts they are supposedly repairing by their actual name rather than some cryptic name ("ACCT_8" ). If these messages are solely related to Quicken not performing some cleanup after accepting downloaded transactions and not actually errors does validate really need to display them? We'll never know until the developers actually look into this problem.
    @rpgarrett75703: I believe the reason that the accounts that are being repaired have weird names is because they are temp accounts that Quicken is creating for the purpose of holding unaccepted transactions. They don't have a recognizable name because they are not any of your actual register accounts. They are temporary accounts that should get removed once no longer needed; i.e. the transactions the temp account were holding have been accepted or deleted.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a unique temp account created for each set of transactions that are downloaded - as a place to hold them until they are accepted or deleted, etc. I don't know that as a fact, but it is an educated guess. The numbers on these accounts seem to increase sequentially and grow to large numbers over time. ACCT_8 was from a new file, but I see numbers like ACCT_555 in a long-used file. Quicken needs to hold unaccepted transactions somewhere until they are dispositioned (i.e. accepted or deleted).

Again, I encourage you and all others having this issue to contact Quicken Phone Support and get a support ticket created. If Tier 1 support can't resolve the issue, which we expect will be the case, the matter will get escalated to Tier 2 and so on.

I am making arrangements for a support call with Quicken escalated support in the near future to discuss the issue that is featured in this thread (and other unrelated issues). I'm hoping one of you who are following this thread can provide me with a series of steps that is certain to reproduce the invalid transaction in temp account errors during file validation (as described in this thread).

I have been able to replicate the discussed issue in a brand new file; however, when I reproduced the error, it was unintended - I was exploring the possibly of starting a new file. Without doing more trial and error work on a "test script", I'm uncertain what are the minimal steps/actions that need to occur to cause this problem to produce in a new file.

Has one of the participants on this thread already determined a specific series of steps/actions - preferably the minimum steps - that will cause this problem to be produced in a new file? If you have this available, please post such and I will leverage it during the support call. I'm looking for the simplest, most minimal set of steps that will, with certainty, reproduce the issue in a new file.

Can someone help?
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) check out my original post, but in short all I have to do is this and it reoccurs every time (and others have posted the same thing):

Wait until you have transactions download on 1 or more credit cards. Accept one at  time on one credit card at the bottom (DON'T use 'Accept All', that works), then click done. Then, run Super Validate again, I get the errors.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I don't have this problem in my data file.
    I have tried to reproduce it given the steps others have given.  Note I normally I use automatic transaction entry mode, so I don't use the " problem flow".
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
    edited March 17
    @Don Awalt: I wanted a process to reproduce the issues in a New Quicken file that I create live during a screen share session with Q support. I've got such a process now.

I've confirmed that all I need to do is create a brand new Quicken File, add one account with an EWC connection, then accept one single transaction (not using Accept all), and then run File Validation. I get the discussed invalid transaction in temp account errors. Very simple to reproduce.

BTW, I do suggest referring to normal Validate rather than SuperValidate. Quicken Support discourages the use of SuperValidate except in a last-resort situation. I know, from experience, the support folks and the developers, tend to tune out when they hear references to SuperValidate (I'm not taking sides on the matter, just suggesting that it would be helpful to refer to normal validate instead of SuperValidate because the errors show up either way and they will take Normal Validate more seriously).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That is interesting that you mention having the problem with Express Web Connect accounts.  I didn’t even realized that was part of what is needed to reproduce this.  I only have one Express Web Connect account, and it has very low volume of transactions.  So no big wonder why I can’t reproduce the problem.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
    @Chris_QPW: I don't know if it only occurs with EWC. The Canadian version of Q only supports WC and EWC, we don't have DC in Canada. I use EWC for all my accounts. I was merely documenting my process; others can comment as to whether the connection method is an essential component of the workflow. I do believe, though, that using "Auto Accept into Register" would avoid the problem entirely. I manually accept my transactions into each register, most often individually; there are occasions when I use "Accept All", but that is the minority.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @Don Awalt: I wanted a process to reproduce the issues in a New Quicken file that I create live during a screen share session with Q support. I've got such a process now.

I've confirmed that all I need to do is create a brand new Quicken File, add one account with an EWC connection, then accept one single transaction (not using Accept all), and then run File Validation. I get the discussed invalid transaction in temp account errors. Very simple to reproduce.
    The process you describe may be by design.  That temp table needs to stay resident until all transactions are accepted, maybe longer.  You can often after accepting transactions, return to the download register and Unaccept All. It's not unexpected that a validation would encounter those still resident by design temp tables. One could argue that running validate should really only be done on a fresh open of a data file to exclude all of the under the hood processes that are cleaned up during the Exit process.

The condition you describe would only be characterized as an error when all transactions were accepted and the program exited; if then after reopening the issue arose when validation was run. Keeping in mind that if transactions in the download register were only partially accepted, there would still be a need for the temp table to stay resident.

This is only an error if it can be shown to occur in a freshly opened file in which no downloaded transactions await acceptance. 

The process you describe may be by design.  That temp table needs to stay resident until all transactions are accepted, maybe longer.  You can often after accepting transactions, return to the download register and Unaccept All. It's not unexpected that a validation would encounter those still resident by design temp tables. One could argue that running validate should really only be done on a fresh open of a data file to exclude all of the under the hood processes that are cleaned up during the Exit process.

The condition you describe would only be characterized as an error when all transactions were accepted and the program exited; if then after reopening the issue arose when validation was run. Keeping in mind that if transactions in the download register were only partially accepted, there would still be a need for the temp table to stay resident.

This is only an error if it can be shown to occur in a freshly opened file in which no downloaded transactions await acceptance. 
    @markus1957: I don't dispute your assertions; they seem entirely plausible; however, even if all of what you indicated is true, there is a problem here...

Upon showing these validation errors to senior Quicken support, I was advised that my only viable option to move forward was to start a new file because these validation results were indicative of - likely unrepairable - file corruption. If these error messages are benign and merely a reflection of by-design workflow then Quicken Support needs to advise accordingly.

I'd be happy to accept @markus1957's explanation, but was spooked by the advice of senior Quicken Support that these validation results were indicative of serious issues in my data file.

Which is it? A benign result of by-design workflow or an indication of catastrophic, unrepairable file corruption?
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW: I don't know if it only occurs with EWC. The Canadian version of Q only supports WC and EWC, we don't have DC in Canada. I use EWC for all my accounts. I was merely documenting my process; others can comment as to whether the connection method is an essential component of the workflow. I do believe, though, that using "Auto Accept into Register" would avoid the problem entirely. I manually accept my transactions into each register, most often individually; there are occasions when I use "Accept All", but that is the minority.
    This is not correct - all my connections are "Direct Connect", and I get it every time I accept transactions one by one. It does not have to be EWC or WC.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    The lack of curiosity by senior Quicken support is disappointing; hopefully you would not get the same answer after showing them the issue in a new data file.  I'm not implying there is not an issue; just challenging you to define it clearly as repeatable undesired behavior.

The fact that it does not happen with Accept All indicates there may be circumstances where the temp account should be cleaned up but the process is somehow bypassed.

Do these temp tables in fact get produced in normal download workflow?
    Is the cleanup process as I speculate?
    At what point does "Unaccept All" become unavailable?
    Should "Done" complete the cleanup step if all downloads are in Accepted status?

The lack of curiosity by senior Quicken support is disappointing; hopefully you would not get the same answer after showing them the issue in a new data file.  I'm not implying there is not an issue; just challenging you to define it clearly as repeatable undesired behavior.

The fact that it does not happen with Accept All indicates there may be circumstances where the temp account should be cleaned up but the process is somehow bypassed.

Do these temp tables in fact get produced in normal download workflow?
    Is the cleanup process as I speculate?
    At what point does "Unaccept All" become unavailable?
    Should "Done" complete the cleanup step if all downloads are in Accepted status?

I've asked Quicken Support to review this thread before the support call. Hopefully, they do review the thread and, thereby, can consider all the perspectives presented here.
    I've done some further experimenting/testing of scenarios with this issue and believe that I may have identified one more important characteristic. Note: I'm not 100% certain of this characteristic because it requires testing on newly downloaded transactions, but so far it seems to hold....

It has been previously stated that the invalid transaction in temp accounts errors do not appear in file validation results when transactions are accepted by the "accept all" process/feature. What I've also found is that if I accept the transactions individually until all transactions are accepted and then click Done BEFORE running a file validation, I also don't see the invalid transaction in temp account errors. Again, further testing of this observation is required to confirm it holds in all cases.

Because of the program behaviour discussed in this thread and some other issues I have run into with File Validation (I'm not commenting on SuperValidate because I don't normally use it), I'm beginning to form the opinion that, going forward, I will only run File Validation when there are no downloaded transactions that haven't yet been accepted into a register (or deleted) and only immediately after creating a backup. The later (i.e. only immediately after a backup is created) is because I have identified a scenario where running Validation crashes Quicken and corrupts the QEL file.

One further thought... Quicken Support has recommended to me that I not use File Validation frequently. They suggest that this can lead to catastrophic failure of the data over the long term. Thus, I feel it is important to note that the only reason I have been running File Validation frequently is because I was having some other serious problems with Quicken (the main problem eventually got traced back to a process on a Quicken server and has recently been addressed). I started running periodic file validations because of certain specific problems that I was having. And the, as you might expect, I started seeing the invalid transaction in temp account errors pretty often. Not understanding where those were coming from, I got in the practice of running file validation frequently trying to associate the invalid transaction validation errors with some activity of mine. I had been expecting that the file validation errors had something to do with the other issues I was having with Quicken. This was furthered by the fact that Quicken support told me that I was the only user reporting the issue. It was only recently when I found this thread that the light went on for me - these validation errors were unrelated to my other Quicken issues (most, but not all) of which are now resolved); they were related to the workflow I use to accept downloaded transactions and perform file validations.