Bill Manager is still lacking

As we approach the August deadline, Bill Manager still is inferior to Bill Pay. No idea why they’ve switched to something inaccurately described as “better.” First, the number of payments is limited, inadequate for business which they claim to support. Second, we must choose between “check” and “quick” when Bill Pay did so automatically if online. Third, although they claim scheduling has been added, it required that we include slack time for delivering a check, when Bill Pay did so, well, automatically. This is not progress and I wish there was another alternative to Quicken. Anyone?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No idea why they’ve switched to something inaccurately described as “better.”
    Because they had no choice.  The third party providing Quicken Bill Pay is terminating the service.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • RicardoF
    RicardoF Member
    I just received a notification from Quicken stating that on August 31 2020 the Quicken Bill Pay service will be discontinued and a "Better" Quicken Bill Manager will take its place.
    As soon as I received the notification I contacted Quicken Tech Support to find out if the option to make payments at future dates, fifteen days would be available.
    I was informed that that feature (available in Quicken Bill pay for years) was not available yet and that the technical developer team was working very hard to get it into the system before the deadline (August 31st 2020).
    I sincerely hope that hey can meet the deadline, otherwise we will be forced to use a system that is technically inferior to what we have been using for years.
    What do you know about this issue?

Thank you

RicardoF
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @RicardoF from the release notes:

I don't use this, but from what I understand you can schedule payment up to 45 days in advance.
    Signature:
  • LVMikie
    LVMikie Member ✭✭
    Thank you Chris, it seems that you are very helpful providing information regarding a service/feature that you do not utilize. The folks at Quicken are certainly trying to make this a viable option for those of us that use this feature extensively.

Myself, I have been using Quicken since it's inception. I've rolled through all the changes, problems, heartaches, data loss, reconstruction, etc. Yet it has always been a consistent ally that I have relied upon to assure that my obligations were always handled timely and that I spent as little time possible diddling with my checkbook.

I am extremely tech savvy. Completely unafraid of change. I have been *playing* with Bill Manager since March and, unfortunately, find it completely unacceptable and unworthy of release.

Why? I budget everything out 12-18 months in advance, though I don't actually transmit my payments but every 45 days. With Bill Manger, this is possible, but will require much more work with double entry, deleting the original and re-entering at payment time. It's adding MUCH more work to the end-user.

My questions/problems:
    1. I've read no headline of Metavante going out of business. Is Metavante cancelling the contract with Quicken or is this a way for Quicken to garner more income by charging a fee that they fully keep?
    2. Billers are inconsistent. For instance, Capital One never updates or lists the various accounts.
    3. Most Billers don't actually download a bill.
    4. Email notification inform you that a payment is due, but list the account balance as the amount due.
    5. Limitations of any kind are unacceptable. If I wish to send 20 checks and 50 electronic payments in a month, I should be able to do that.

Most importantly, scanning the forum, I have not seen adequate responses to customer complaints. Most of these threads have been closed for further discussion. Quicken has made up their mind and seeming does not care what the customer base thinks about the decision.

For me, I have turned off my automatic renewal and have been previewing Quicken alternatives. Honestly, I cant believe that I would ever be doing this, but I am very unhappy about this. Not the change necessarily, just the readiness of the change. It is NOT better. It could be, but at this point, it is not.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    RicardoF said: I just received a notification from Quicken stating that on August 31 2020 the Quicken Bill Pay service will be discontinued and a "Better" Quicken Bill Manager will take its place.
    You might also look at your own bank, to see if they offer their own online bill payment feature.  Several banks offer this AND also interface with Quicken via Direct Connect to offer the bill paying feature via your own bank.
    I happen to use Chase, and it works great -
    What bank do you use - and is it Direct Connect -

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • LVMikie
    LVMikie Member ✭✭
    > @ps56k said:
    > (Quote)
    > You might also look at your own bank, to see if they offer their own online bill payment feature.  Several banks offer this AND also interface with Quicken via Direct Connect to offer the bill paying feature via your own bank.I happen to use Chase, and it works great -
    > What bank do you use - and is it Direct Connect -
    > (Image)

Using the Bank's Bill Pay service is indeed a great way to go.

But, be sure you understand the method that your bank uses to pay bills. They may use EFT transfer to known payees, they may issues checks drawn on your account, or they may issue bank checks. If they issue bank checks, then they will withdraw the funds from your account long before you have scheduled the payment to be made.

Just advising to be aware of the method.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    LVMikie said:

My questions/problems:
    1. I've read no headline of Metavante going out of business. Is Metavante cancelling the contract with Quicken or is this a way for Quicken to garner more income by charging a fee that they fully keep?

http://quickenbillpay.com/
    Signature:
  • Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP, the fact that they are advertising Bill manager as better is unacceptable.

HOWEVER, You have the ability to use your own bank and get everything that Bill Pay does currently. Everything!

Just find a bank that supports direct connect, switch to it and move on. Quicken has a master list of banks you can use its from March 2019. I will call out Quicken for not keeping this list up to date. It should be revised monthly.

here it is:
    https://www.intuit.com/content/dam/intuit/intuitcom/partners/documents/financial-institution/icom-partners-ofx-fi-list-quicken-windows.pdf

I switched banks back in March just after the first notice and everything is fine. I dont pay extra fees either. I now enjoy ignoring all of this mess.
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > (Quote)
    > Because they had no choice.  The third party providing Quicken Bill Pay is terminating the service.

Not from what I read online, there had been problems with the split and Quicken apparently thought they could develop a better system but didn't IMO.
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    > @Marauder said:
    > I agree with the OP, the fact that they are advertising Bill manager as better is unacceptable.
    >
    > HOWEVER, You have the ability to use your own bank and get everything that Bill Pay does currently. Everything!
    >
    > Just find a bank that supports direct connect, switch to it and move on. Quicken has a master list of banks you can use its from March 2019. I will call out Quicken for not keeping this list up to date. It should be revised monthly.
    >
    > here it is:
    > https://www.intuit.com/content/dam/intuit/intuitcom/partners/documents/financial-institution/icom-partners-ofx-fi-list-quicken-windows.pdf
    >
    > I switched banks back in March just after the first notice and everything is fine. I dont pay extra fees either. I now enjoy ignoring all of this mess.

There are those of us who prefer the integration of using one software to manage finances not several online banks.
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > (Quote)
    > http://quickenbillpay.com/

> @Chris_QPW said:
    > @RicardoF from the release notes:
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    > I don't use this, but from what I understand you can schedule payment up to 45 days in advance.

> @Chris_QPW said:
    > @RicardoF from the release notes:
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    > I don't use this, but from what I understand you can schedule payment up to 45 days in advance.

Bill Pay allows users to schedule when payments are delivered, not when the payment is sent. Big difference since the due date is important.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Like I said above I don't use a bill pay service, I have a better system for me to get my bills paid, so I have zero stake in this.  So if you think I'm arguing with you or something you are mistaken.

A question was asked, and the "answer" whether you believe it or not was posted from Quicken Inc, I'm only repeating what they said.  And yeah I also heard that they didn't want to renew that contract and as such went the way they did.

The interesting thing about people is that even if there hundreds of posts in forum about the bad service they are getting, once you take away that service you get flooded with how great that service was.

I have never used Quicken Bill Pay, but I certainly read many a post on how terrible it was to get enrolled and how terrible it was to get any help when something went wrong.

I don't think Quicken Inc's decision was based on "We can create a better system".  It was certainly based on many factors, like complaint on the old system, money, reducing the number of third parties they deal with, ...

Note that "Quicken Manager" is Quicken Inc providing a GUI for sending commands to the the bill system of the third party that was already providing Online Bills/bill presentment.

Now I tried using the Online Bills/bill presentment system for years (after waiting for it to not have as many bugs in it for a couple of years) and it was not very reliable.  So I would certainly not recommend any system built on top of that.  But that  wasn't the question asked.  The original post wasn't "Would you recommend Bill Manager?".

If I was using a bill pay service I would either use one through Quicken through a financial institution, like I did 20 to 30 years ago.  But even there, there is a trade off of what bank you choose and which provide that service.  I have certainly left banks because of their poor support of Quicken over the years, but bill pay wouldn't be one of them.  I would just use their website.

And you don't have to use a service to read a forum about the problems people are having with it. Certainly anyone that choose to do even the slightest amount of searching in this forum could have got all these answers for themselves.  So this thread is either just a rant thread, or a thread for people that don't want to search.
    Signature:
  • LVMikie
    LVMikie Member ✭✭
    Chris,

I thought you were trying to be helpful, I'm not so sure now. I've done my homework. I've searched the forums. I've read the posts and responses from Quicken. I've been dutifully using Bill Manager since March to become familiar with it and see how to best implement it.

You have chosen a method different from a Bill Pay Service, which, YES, we all could choose. But each of us makes our own decision on which method is best for us and why. Since this is NOT your method of service and you have NOT used it, as you have stated, who is really ranting?

Originally I searched for a method of feedback to share my experiences with Quicken and that was not possible. Calling support can be a challenge in itself between language barriers and the front line really having no understanding of the program if it is beyond what is available on their scripts.

Choosing a provider, such as Quicken, one seeks consistency. Sure, you have to update and change with technology. But if you have been able to send payments for 3+ months in advance for 20 years, you don't expect that to suddenly change overnight. Or worse have to sever relationships with banks, create new accounts, and change the way you do everything because of a battle of contracting wills.

In the end, rant or not, yes customers will accept the changes or they will move on.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry @LVMikie unfortunately posts like this can give the wrong impression, and I was getting the wrong impression on what you and others were saying to me.

And maybe I shouldn't have used the word "rant", it reality I more looking the "opposite" of looking for information.  Maybe "complaint".

And the difference is important to me.  I personally post on here to help people.  I'm not on here to listen their complaints, and once I determine which kind of thread it is, I decide whether to continue posting in it or not.
    Signature:
  • David Sellars
    David Sellars Member ✭✭
    After using Bill Manager for a couple of months, I kind a like it.
    My problem is Capital One and now Xfinity not getting EBills.
    with out the EBill there is no way to pay. Online payees list is empty since the change.
  • davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    I was getting somewhat used to bill manager as well. Yes, there are issues with it like deleting an existing online biller. (still can't see how).

Then my latest situation, I initiated a payment through check pay many days ago for it to with payment date in a couple of days. The check number was issues. I repeatedly looked at the status of the payment. It didn't say it was printed or anything. It just said the payment was scheduled. There was no way it was going to be printed and delivered in the next couple of days.

Quicken Tech Support had no way to check on what happened. They were actually suggesting that I wait it out and see if the company actually gets it. Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I see not indication that anything progressed yet they said to wait and see which would likely have the payment be late and impacting my history and credit. Ridiculous! The Bill Manager product is way too much in it's infancy to be a reliable service. If Quicken doesn't properly resolve needs this product will become a disaster at the expense of users of the product.
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    I think Bill Manager issues the check on the date scheduled while Bill Pay issues the check to be received on the date scheduled, which is much more useful.
  • Farrago510
    Farrago510 Member ✭✭
    I'm trying to use Bill Manager but find that almost every day one account or another for online billers fails and some which supposedly should be able to connect have never been able to successful synch up with Bill Manager so I have to manually pay. I'm estimating Quicken has 1 or 2 more months to make this product ready for prime time or I will need to start looking for other options.
  • davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    @Allen Brown, I am not so sure on that. I have others that have gone through CheckPay and no problems. But this one? And the fact that Quicken Tech Support was utterly clueless on what to do or where to even look; suggesting to just see if the vendor gets the check (at the expense of my being late on the payment?) Some things are just unacceptable and when dealing with the money aspects - that is one. I have to agree with @Farrago510 where if they don't start treating this product with the right emphasis or enabling the product for prime time the we may need to start looking for other options. If I remember right there was an open source of GNUCash that might be a possible option.
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    I agree just noticed a basic difference in the scheduled delivery method. Not something I want to experiment with either. Another issue is the hard limit on the number of checks. As a small business I send about 30 per month. They say they’re “working on it.” Quicken should delay phasing out Bill Pay until Bill Manager is working properly. So far I haven’t found any alternatives..
  • Jon d'Alessio
    Jon d'Alessio Member ✭✭
    Need to increase limit on number of checks. current level is far below what I use on a monthly basis. Been using Quicken for decades and would hate to have to move because I can't use it as much as I want to.
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    [removed - no soliciting]
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    Decided to call support this morning about these Bill Manager issues and the tech was informative if not able to solve the problems. Additional checks are "in the works" but no ETA. Scheduling payments should be by due date not issue date (will confirm this). Also, payment with credit card is also "in the works" which is a new feature that would be great! So If I could only increase the check allowance since I use about 30 per month before August 31st, the change might be worth it. The tech said the programmers review the posts so here's hoping for a fix or an extension of the August 31st cutoff..
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Decided to call support this morning about these Bill Manager issues and the tech was informative if not able to solve the problems. Additional checks are "in the works" but no ETA. Scheduling payments should be by due date not issue date (will confirm this). Also, payment with credit card is also "in the works" which is a new feature that would be great! So If I could only increase the check allowance since I use about 30 per month before August 31st, the change might be worth it. The tech said the programmers review the posts so here's hoping for a fix or an extension of the August 31st cutoff..
    Hello @Allen Brown

I'm glad to hear that the conversation with Support went well and thank you for sharing the details.

If I may, I do have a few questions about the 30 checks a month you typically send. 

Are these 30 vendors not available for use with Quick Pay?  

If they are available to pay with Quick Pay, is there a reason why you would prefer to use the Check Pay instead of the Quick Pay service?

We're trying to better understand Bill Manager usage and explore the reasons behind the number of checks per month that Users typically send and what would lead them to use one service over another.

Any thoughts you would care to share on your personal usage would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    Sarah: I use Quicken for both personal and business and most of the payees are individuals or small companies. With Bill Pay the service automatically determines which were online if available and not have to decide which method to use. Another issue I just remembered, using Bill Pay I currently enter all payments using the Reminders or manually, using several checking accounts, then confirm dates, categories, accounts and balances in the All Transactions window before sending using update. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to do this will Bill Manager and each payment is sent individually. The transactions only appear after sending..
  • Farrago510
    Farrago510 Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Sarah" said:
    > (Quote)
    > Hello @"Allen Brown"
    >
    > I'm glad to hear that the conversation with Support went well and thank you for sharing the details.
    >
    > If I may, I do have a few questions about the 30 checks a month you typically send. 
    >
    > Are these 30 vendors not available for use with Quick Pay?  
    >
    > If they are available to pay with Quick Pay, is there a reason why you would prefer to use the Check Pay instead of the Quick Pay service?
    >
    > We're trying to better understand Bill Manager usage and explore the reasons behind the number of checks per month that Users typically send and what would lead them to use one service over another.
    >
    > Any thoughts you would care to share on your personal usage would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Sarah

Sarah,

I'm not Allen, but speaking for myself, my use of printed checks is going up since switching to Bill Manager from Quicken Bill Pay because QuickPay is so buggy, I hesitate to depend on an account staying functional long enough to make the payment. I've started to schedule the QuickPay payment as soon -- or if -- as I see a bill update because who knows if tomorrow that bill will be functional. Of course, then it's difficult to know what to do in the situation when a payment is scheduled, but that Online Biller Account (in Quicken) ceases to function. Will the scheduled payment still happen? Should I delete the bugged online biller and try re-adding it?
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    I’ve been thinking of that option, old technology, printed check. It’s a shame since we know a completely functioning bill pay is possible..
  • Quicken Sarah
    Sarah: I use Quicken for both personal and business and most of the payees are individuals or small companies. With Bill Pay the service automatically determines which were online if available and not have to decide which method to use. Another issue I just remembered, using Bill Pay I currently enter all payments using the Reminders or manually, using several checking accounts, then confirm dates, categories, accounts and balances in the All Transactions window before sending using update. Unless I'm missing something, there is no way to do this will Bill Manager and each payment is sent individually. The transactions only appear after sending..
    Hello Allen,

Quicken Bill Manager was designed to be a "all-in-one" place to review, track and pay your bills in conjunction with the Online Biller and reminder features available in Quicken.

If your bill is available as an Online Biller in Quicken, they can be paid using the Quick Pay method.  It is not an automatic process though, the biller must first be added as an Online Biller.  Once the biller is added, then the option to pay using Quick Pay will be available in the Bills & Income tab.

Quick Pay logs directly into the biller website on your behalf and initiates the payment using the billers payment system.  Due to this if you are making multiple Quick Pay payments each payment is sent individually and not all at once because each request is a single connection to each specific biller.

Quicken Bill Pay sends the payment instructions to your bank account who then initiates the payments with each vendor (for electronic payments, physical checks are sent directly from the QBP service providers).  Since it's a connection with your bank, multiple requests can be created and sent at once because the bank receives the payment requests and then initiates each request one by one for you.

The difference in how the two services handle bill payments, unfortunately does mean that you are unable to create multiple payments, review them before sending and then send en masse when using Quick Pay, I apologize.

I truly appreciate your sharing this feedback with us and I will be forwarding your comments to our Bill Manager teams for their consideration in future improvements to the Bill Manager system.

Thank you again,

Sarah
  • Allen Brown
    Allen Brown Member ✭✭
    Sarah, thanks again for your feedback. I've decide to go to paper checks unfortunately. I hope that Bill Manager gains the capability I need..
  • Quicken Sarah
    Sarah,

I'm not Allen, but speaking for myself, my use of printed checks is going up since switching to Bill Manager from Quicken Bill Pay because QuickPay is so buggy, I hesitate to depend on an account staying functional long enough to make the payment. I've started to schedule the QuickPay payment as soon -- or if -- as I see a bill update because who knows if tomorrow that bill will be functional. Of course, then it's difficult to know what to do in the situation when a payment is scheduled, but that Online Biller Account (in Quicken) ceases to function. Will the scheduled payment still happen? Should I delete the bugged online biller and try re-adding it?
    Hello @Farrago510

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback with us, although I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with the Online Billers updating correctly.

May I ask, do you experience this issue with all of your Online Billers?  Or just specific ones?

When this happens, does the bill fail to update completely?  Do you receive an error message of any kind?

Do you update billers from the One Step Update process?  Or do you update from the Bills & Income tab?  Is the experience any different if you update via One Step Update vs. the Bills & Income tab update?

I'd like to better understand your normal, daily routine when updating and paying the Online Billers, if you wouldn't mind sharing the step by step detail of how you typically perform these functions, it would be very much appreciated.

I'd also like to review your log files and check for internal errors/issues that may be at the root of the billers failing to update correctly.  If you haven't already, please go to the Help menu in Quicken and select "Report a Problem".

In the window that opens, please enter "Attn: Sarah" in the subject line, mark the box for every file listed and when ready click "Send to Quicken".  Once sent, please just reply here to let me know so I can retrieve the report from the system.

Thank you again,

Sarah
This discussion has been closed.