Opening Balance Adjustment in Checking is later reversed and Error Accessing Disk Msg

Several times over the past few months, Quicken Premier inserts an Opening Balance Adjustment of a $804.99 payment in my 5th/3rd Checking register with a 2/25/20 date. The following day or so, I get an offsetting credit for the same amount along with an Error Accessing Disc message.
Validating or supervalidating does not fix it or even indicate a problem. I also get an error when downloading transactions that "Quicken is unable to update your accounts", but the accounts actually DO get updated.

I'm on the current version/build release of Quicken, but this has happened for several months. My data is stored locally, and it has been updated/converted several times since I began using Quicken DOS version back in 1993. Thanks for any insights.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the complete drive letter and path to your Quicken data file,
    (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?
    Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?

• bargegeek
    bargegeek Member ✭✭
    O:\Important Records\Quicken files\jointaccount2000.qdf

It's a local hard drive on the PC. No cloud account of any type ever used.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as the O-drive is a partition on an internal hard drive on your PC, you should be fine. Networked drives on a server are not supported.
    Are you running Windows on a Mac with a VM?

Let's start with some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• bargegeek
    bargegeek Member ✭✭
    I'm not running any VM. My version in R27.28, but this problem goes back a few months.

I have run through the troubleshooting checklist and validated several times in the last couple months. Occasionally the log file shows this:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired 5\3 JOINT CHECKING account. No action required.
    Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required.
    "5\3 JOINT CHECKING" 2/25/2020 "Opening Balance Adjustment"
    Quicken repaired damaged transaction index. No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_139c3" 0/ 0/1900
    "ACCT_139c3" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_139c3" 0/ 0/1900
    "ACCT_139c3" 0/ 0/1900

But the problem remains.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago, there was a bug in Quicken which could leave Temp_xxxx or ACCT_xxxx temporary accounts behind as a result of something going wrong with One Step Update. You need to get rid of the temporary account. The procedure used to do so in those days was:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-resolve-temp-accounts
    See if you can get this resolved.
    If not, please contact  Quicken Support for additional help. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    There is also this discussion about the temporary accounts.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7878024/super-validate-finds-same-errors-every-day#latest

But the big difference here is the changing of the opening balance.  When Quicken connects an account to an online account for the first time it does adjust the opening balance.  It seems like for whatever reason something has made Quicken act as if it is connecting this account for the first time.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.