Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

What happened to the home page in Quicken on my IMAC.

idocwhjidocwhj Member
:(:/:(:(

Up until recently, I had a duplicate of all accounts

(Edited readability)
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @idocwhj

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue.

To better assist you can provide a few more details on the issues you are having with the home page?

To confirm, by the home page you mean by selecting the "Home" tab correct?

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • idocwhjidocwhj Member
    The "Home" tab, that is correct.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @idocwhj

Thank you for confirming where you are having problems. Your initial question seems as though it may be incomplete.

Can you explain further on what is duplicated or incorrect in the home tab so that the Community may better assist you?

Thank you,

-Quicken
    -Quicken Tyka
  • idocwhjidocwhj Member
    Thanks for your time. Before a Quicken update I had my account tab on the left side of the screen and my account summary report on the right. Now, the account tab is on the left as it was but on the right is the home tab with 3 choices, spending by category, spending over time, and net income which I have no use for. When I click on report, I get my old account summary just like I used to have in the past, but it populates the entire screen and account tab disappears until I click home again and I'm back to square 1. Thanks.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @idocwhj  I think I understand now, but I'm still not quite sure. Let's try to clarify some terminology to make sure I and others are understanding correctly. If some of this is obvious to you, that's fine; I just want to make sure we're all talking the same language and meaning the same things…

The left side of the main Quicken screen, with I believe you are calling your "account tab", is referred to as the sidebar. This is where all your accounts are listed in groups for banking, investing, etc. 

In the left sidebar, click on your checking account or any of your accounts. The right side of the screen now shows a transaction register for the account you selected. Near the top of the register portion of the screen, just under the account name, there are three tabs for Transactions, Spending and Income. Transactions shows all the transactions for the selected account; Spending or Income show just those types of transactions, and a graph at the top. (I don't find the graphs terribly helpful, so I leave mine on Transactions to see all transactions.)

I was initially confused that you referred to your "account summary report", but your description doesn't match what's shown in Quicken's report by that name. Just to stay on the same page, click on Reports in the blue menu bar. This is where Quicken displays the new organization of all reports. On the left side, under the heading of Quicken Reports, click on Summary.

When you click on Summary, the first report at the top is Accounts Summary. Double-click on Accounts Summary. A new window will open, on top of your existing Quicken main window, showing the Accounts Summary report. This is an old report in Quicken that will likely eventually go away, because the newer Net Worth reports show the same, and more, information, and can be printed and configured, unlike this old Accounts Summary Report.

But your description of what you're calling your "accounts summary report" is different. You then talked about being on the home tab. In the blue menu bar that runs across the top of the Quicken screen, the first item is Home, and clicking it takes you to what people call the home tab or home page.  (This page is not very configurable, so many users don't find it particularly useful and rely on Quicken's various Reports instead.)

But the top section of the Home page does offer Spending By Category, Spending Over Time and Net Worth views, so I think this is what you're referring to, right?

If you click on the Spending by Category heading, or any part of the pie chart, Quicken opens a transaction register -- in a new window. In older versions of Quicken, this register view opened on the right side of the main window, but now, it opens in a separate, new window. The same is true for all reports: they used to open on the right side of the main window, but now open in separate windows. Users wanted to be able to open a report without losing their place in the register they were viewing, so thins change makes it easier to look at two (or more) things at once.

So from your description, I think the problem you're describing is just that this new window is too large, and it completely covers the main Quicken window. So just click and drag on any edge of this window to make it smaller (the same as you would resize any Mac window). You'll see the main Quicken window, with your sidebar, is still there, just under the separate transaction register window you opened. Once you re-size your second window smaller, if you close it and then re-open it, Quicken will remember the smaller size.

QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993