Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How can I tell if a payment is a check payment or an electronic payments in quicken premier?

Quicken offers Bill Manager 3 free "Check Payments" and 12 free "Electronic Payments" per month. How can I be certain if my payment made by Bill Manager was the Check variety or the Electronic variety. They both have a lightening bolt by the check number.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Quick Pay is always electronic and Check Pay is always check.  You should be able to view the method used on the Bills dashboard in the Last Payment column.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    The only check numbers I have in the account register with the lightning bolt are traditional billpay payments processed by check.  Check Pay numbers show up with a little image of a check beside the number:

Quick Pay does not generate a check number. It's either Scheduled or Paid.
    You should be able to click on the Status link in the check number field to see how it was processed.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2021
  • strattonrd
    strattonrd Member
    Thank you Sherlock. Are we using the same software? Mine is the online version Quicken Premier 2020, verion R27.28. I see nothing labelled "Bills dashboard" "Quick pay" or "Check pay". I do see a check register. The register has a column labelled Check #. There are Bill pay check numbers with a lightening bolt in this column. Some of these have "ACH ....." entries in the memo column, and some do not. Are the ones without the ACH entries the Check Payments and the ones with the ACH entries the Electronic Payments?

Isn't the difference between the two types of payments is whether the payment can be made cheaply electronically or paid by postal check payment? How can I know if Bill Pay or in the future Bill Manager had to pay by check?

Thank you for your help. I am trying to figure out if historically I have used less than 3 check payments per month and can go with the free option with the new Bill Manager. I would think this would be a hot topic. :-)
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi @strattonrd,

Sounds like you may be paying your bills through your bank account.  For electronic payments using that method, you should see the following in the register

For payment by your bank by their manual check , you would see the same as the above.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Thank you Sherlock. Are we using the same software? Mine is the online version Quicken Premier 2020, verion R27.28. I see nothing labelled "Bills dashboard" "Quick pay" or "Check pay". I do see a check register. The register has a column labelled Check #. There are Bill pay check numbers with a lightening bolt in this column. Some of these have "ACH ....." entries in the memo column, and some do not. Are the ones without the ACH entries the Check Payments and the ones with the ACH entries the Electronic Payments?

Isn't the difference between the two types of payments is whether the payment can be made cheaply electronically or paid by postal check payment? How can I know if Bill Pay or in the future Bill Manager had to pay by check?

Thank you for your help. I am trying to figure out if historically I have used less than 3 check payments per month and can go with the free option with the new Bill Manager. I would think this would be a hot topic. :-)
    We're using exactly the same software.  Perhaps you're not using Bill Manager's Quick Pay or Check Pay.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-many-payments-can-i-make-each-month

If you're issuing payments to Online Payees, the online payment service decides how to deliver the payment.  You may be able to determine whether they are sending a check for the payment at their web site.  

There is a significant difference between paying Online Payees and Online Bills.  We may pay Online Payees using the online payment services provided by a financial institution using the Direct Connect connection method.  Quick Pay only pays Online Bills and Check Pay may be used to send a check to anyone in the US.   
  • strattonrd
    strattonrd Member
    What is causing my confusion is that I appear to be using PNC Bank - Direct Connect and not Bill pay. What made me confused is that I pay a monthly fee of $5.95 to Quicken Bill Pay for many years. I will try to stop that payment by following the directions emailed to me today by Quicken:
    "If you would prefer to downgrade, cancel your current Quicken Bill Pay service before August 31 by calling 1-877-486-8844, and you will no longer be charged a monthly fee."

Thank you
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is causing my confusion is that I appear to be using PNC Bank - Direct Connect and not Bill pay. What made me confused is that I pay a monthly fee of $5.95 to Quicken Bill Pay for many years. I will try to stop that payment by following the directions emailed to me today by Quicken:
    "If you would prefer to downgrade, cancel your current Quicken Bill Pay service before August 31 by calling 1-877-486-8844, and you will no longer be charged a monthly fee."

Thank you
    Are you sure you paid $5.95 to Quicken Bill Pay: 
    The Quicken Monthly Plan is $9.95 per month for Starter and Deluxe customers; the Quicken Subscription Plan is free with a membership purchase of Premier and above. The paid Quicken Monthly Plan includes 20 transactions per month for $9.95, with a $5.00 charge for 15 additional transactions.

• strattonrd
    strattonrd Member
    Yes I am sure. Since you ask, I'll elaborate:
    I began using Quicken 1/1/2001 and paid a monthly fee of $5.95 to Checkfree for a while. On 4/7/2003 I began paying various fees to Payment Services Billingfee every month until 2005 when I started paying the various amount to ONLINE BILL PMT. Then on 5/11/2006 I began paying various amounts to Quicken Bill Pay at 4101 West 38th Street in Sioux Falls SD 57106-0741 every month. But after 9/12/2007 the fee has been fixed at $5.95 every month, to Quicken Bill Pay. That is a lot of months. Does this make sense to you?