Home Quicken for Windows Product Ideas - Quicken for Windows Product Enhancements (Windows)

Add user preference for Find default search field

Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
The default search field for the Find (CTRL-F) command has switched over the years between "Any field" and "Currently selected field." Each time it changes, half the users complain.
I was a little surprised to see it recently change back to "Any field" because the global search box in the window title bar affords this function without any extra key presses or menu command invocations.
This is clearly a function that people strongly prefer one way or the other. And obviously the code exists to do it both ways. So a user preference would make everyone happy once and for all.
Suggestion: Add a Preference to allow the user to choose between "Any field" and "Currently selected field" as the default search field for the Find command.
Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
Tagged:
22 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• FredFred Member ✭✭
    In Release R27.20 (US Versions, June 2020) an 'improvement' of "Changed the default Find (CTRL-F) field from Date to any field" is listed. Personally, I prefer the previous default of "current field" and that it brought in the current value of that field - as it seems easier/quicker to tab to that field/value, hit CTRL F, and search ... then to hit CTRL F, change field to desired field and then enter search value, and then do the search.

Doing some searching thru the community, there are people that asked for 'any field' and those who prefer it the other way. And it appears it's been set both ways 'over the years'.

So I suggest that the default for CTRL F / find be made something a user can set.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28
    Argh. I kind of wondered how long it would take for someone to object to this periodic flip-flop.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Jerry PowellJerry Powell Member ✭✭
    Yes! Would love to see a Preference for this option.
  • WoodySWoodyS Member ✭✭
    A user preference option would satisfy everyone. My vote is in favor. Strange that it wasn't implemented since the options have flipped at least twice.
  • Frankie JoeFrankie Joe Member ✭✭
    Please reinstate the Right click -> Find functionality to it's former GLORY! When the Quicken Search box opens it should be pre-populated with my search parameter i.e. I'm searching for Shoprite, Shoprite should be in the search field. I shouldn't have to re-type "Shoprite in order to Find or Find All. WHY fix what ain't BROKE!
  • I don't see why anybody would want to do the extra typing required for Any Field, when they can select from a list of valid field entries.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    WHY fix what ain't BROKE!
    Because to some people it was broke.
    I don't see why anybody would want to do the extra typing required for Any Field, when they can select from a list of valid field entries.
    And yet, that is exactly what some people have asked for.

That's why there should be an option for it.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • tking6432tking6432 Member
    Absolutly this may be one of the worst chnages Quicken has ever made to it's software. Change i to where we can choose or back to the way is was.
  • tking6432tking6432 Member
    In a recent release a change was made that changed the default Find (CTRL-F) field from the (current field) that it brought in the the field your cursor was on to "Any field." Please, please, please either change it back to the previous default of "current field" as it made that function much easier/quicker to use or allow the default for CTRL F / find be made something a user can set.
    edited July 13
    Deleted.  I see that the other thread as already be merged into this one.
  • thompsonmbkmthompsonmbkm Member
    I've used Quicken for years and don't remember having to select the search field after CTRL-F, however I didn't have the subscription so I didn't get updated all the time either. But I can't imagine someone not liking the way it picked up the search content and would rather go through extra steps to search.
    Quicken is working hard to chase people away. I don't want all the fancy stuff forced on me. I want to balance mt accounts and keep a record of spending.
    I don't see why anybody would want to do the extra typing required for Any Field, when they can select from a list of valid field entries.
    I can't imagine someone not liking the way it picked up the search content and would rather go through extra steps to search.
    Welcome to the forum. I see you are both new. Read some existing content on this site and you will see that people use Quicken in strange and idiosyncratic ways.
    For you to come aboard and say "I don't see" or "I can't imagine" just means you haven't looked enough. Even those of us who have been here for decades are sometimes surprised by what users like and don't like or use and don't use.
    Even those of us who have been here for decades are sometimes surprised by what users like and don't like or use and don't use.
    Not only do they surprise in what they like or use they can be EXTREMELY passionate about what we might think is "trivial"!
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13
    I'm still using Quicken 2017 where Find defaults to the field I click on and populates its value and Find and Replace defaults to any field, I'm just find with the way this works.

The bigger issue I have with Find and Replace is that it only does a Find All which can be rather slow searching through decades of transactions.  I would like to see date range criteria added to limit the scope of my search.

What would work for me is if the scope was limited to the same date range selected in the register filter.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • agbenschagbensch Member
    I have been using Quicken since it was an MS-DOS version. I am replying to add weight to the Find Default switch in a set up. Without the set up option I silently fume at having to retype the current field information. If you want to type all the information, you can always do it no matter what the default is.
  • bmilfordbmilford Member
    I was online tonight to renew my Quicken Premier and saw this change. I will not be renewing as I have had too many problems with this version, and my time is worth more than the hassle of dealing with finding a way to correct the problems caused.
  • Wilson BaileyWilson Bailey Member ✭✭
    I'll add my vote for them to add this choice to the preferences. The "any field" is a real problem. It should let you choose based on the filed you call it from. This should be a choice. It seems to change back and forth after every update,
    @Wilson Bailey did you add your vote in the first post of this thread? I seem to remember it was 12 yesterday and it's still 12.
  • hoskeyhoskey Member
    Thanks. It's good to know it isn't something I had done. I agree, make it a preference.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your suggestion.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
    I think voting on Vanilla is something of a lost cause, @Quicken_Tyka. People just don't get it. I guarantee there are more than 12 people who care about this issue.

Let's call this one an obvious no-brainer and implement it. :) 
  • Scott AyersScott Ayers Member
    I must agree.... Highlighting something in the transaction register and right clicking "Find" and not having the highlighted text autofill is just plain dumb. Please fix it.
  • lellis1936lellis1936 Member
    Yes! Auto-fill of the current field was a huge time-saver! It did take some getting used to but I can't imagine anyone would want it removed once they become familiar with it.

Please either reinstate current field as default or add a preference. To change this basic functionality without adding a user choice was a bad idea, I think.
  • johnturleyjohnturley Unconfirmed, Member
    Please resurrect auto-fill on Q-F!
  • cbd19137cbd19137 Member ✭✭
    Someone made the comment earlier that code exist for both ways of searching, and since there are two camps of who prefers what, make it a user selectable "Preference". Easy to implement, keeps everyone happy. But please take action on the next update. I updated today, and still no action from Quicken as Search still takes you to an empty search. Updates are taking us backwards, not forwards.
  • pswelkerpswelker Member ✭✭
    While a user preference setting would be acceptable it should not be necessary as context driven functionality is a better approach.

There are two methods of invoking the search dialog box, through the Edit menu and by a right mouse click within a Register field.

The later of these two methods, right mouse click, should always pre-populate the search dialog box using the specific field and value from which the user clicked. The former, Edit menu, should default to the more generic "Any field" with and empty value. In both methods a criteria of "Contains" as default is reasonable.
    I use CTRL-F to open the Find dialog. What would you have it do if I click in a register field and then press CTRL-F?
  • pswelkerpswelker Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > I use CTRL-F to open the Find dialog. What would you have it do if I click in a register field and then press CTRL-F?

Pre-populated field and value. Only generic when/if invoked via Edit menu.
    pswelker said:
    > I use CTRL-F to open the Find dialog. What would you have it do if I click in a register field and then press CTRL-F?

That is your opinion, but that doesn't line up what has been requested over the years.
    Some people are adamant that no matter where there cursor is, of how they invoke Find they don't want the fields to be filled in.  And then you have just the opposite from other people.
    edited August 29
    Chris_QPW said:
    pswelker said:

That is your opinion, but that doesn't line up what has been requested over the years.
    Some people are adamant that no matter where there cursor is, of how they invoke Find they don't want the fields to be filled in.  And then you have just the opposite from other people.
    Gotcha, @pswelker . CTRL-F is a keyboard accelerator for Edit > Find. The two can't behave differently.

I agree with @Chris_QPW . For some reason, users are very adamant about this particular issue.