Add user preference for Find default search field

13»

Comments

• Wilson Bailey
    Wilson Bailey Member ✭✭
    Thank you for making the find function user selectable!
  • jordanwouk
    jordanwouk Member
    I LIKE IT. However, improve the wording. The update notes now say, "a register preference to choose a default." I was in an account and pulled the gear in upper right down which is where I think my "register preferences" are. NOT there. I went to Edit > Preferences, Register and NOT there. I had to come here to learn it's in the Find dialog box. I still like it, but wasted time getting it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I LIKE IT. However, improve the wording. The update notes now say, "a register preference to choose a default." I was in an account and pulled the gear in upper right down which is where I think my "register preferences" are. NOT there. I went to Edit > Preferences, Register and NOT there. I had to come here to learn it's in the Find dialog box. I still like it, but wasted time getting it.
    Yeah, I agree with your statement.

The very first thing I did is go to the preferences and look for it, and when I didn't find it I went back to the release notes and it wasn't until reread and finally thought to just try it and, then I found it.

But in truth lets say I didn't read the release notes and knew nothing about it.  I probably would have stumbled on it when I next used find.  If it was a preference and I didn't know about it, it would have most likely taken me even more time to find it.

So it is definitely a tradeoff of where to put it.  And yes I agree the release notes could be better to say exactly where it is.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the tenets of GUI design is "Don't surprise the user." Having the preference in the dialog instead of in Preferences is surprising.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the tenets of GUI design were, do it as simple as possible for the developer. >:)  
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I thought the tenets of GUI design were, do it as simple as possible for the developer. >:)  
    I know you're kidding (I think), but that is explicitly called out in the article I linked above.
    When two elements of an interface conflict, or are ambiguous, the behavior should be that which will least surprise the user; in particular a programmer should try to think of the behavior that will least surprise someone who uses the program, rather than that behavior that is natural from knowing the inner workings of the program.[4]
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I definitely kidding, but sometimes it seems like the Quicken developers choose that path.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.