Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Scheduled Update Prompts for Vault Password

Since the last Quicken for Windows Update, the Scheduled Update process (bagent.exe) always prompts me for the Vault Password, regardless of the setting in the Schedule Updates dialog. This has happened with previous Quicken updates, but went away when I killed bagent and restarted it (by re-scheduling the updates). Now that does not work. I just spoke to someone at Quicken Support who told me this is the proper behavior! Any thoughts from the Community?

Best Answer

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The password prompt should (and does for me) only prompt you if you reboot the PC. If you shutdown each day and restart, that would result in the same request for a password. If this is not what you are experiencing, then something is amiss.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Jim Shiffrin
    Jim Shiffrin Member ✭✭
    Yep - something is amiss.
  • Jim Shiffrin
    Jim Shiffrin Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will update this later and let you know if it worked.
  • Jim Shiffrin
    Jim Shiffrin Member ✭✭
    So I set it to update at 4:00 PM - and it asked for the password. Then I set it to update again at 5:00 PM, and that worked! Now to see what happens tomorrow morning at 5:00 AM.
  • Jim Shiffrin
    Jim Shiffrin Member ✭✭
    Geoff, thanks again for your help. Reinstalling the software seems to have done the trick.
  • Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, be aware that if you sign-out of Windows, you will be prompted for the vault password again.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Jim Shiffrin
    Jim Shiffrin Member ✭✭
    OK - I downloaded Quicken 27.42, and it is happening again! I have stopped bagent.exe and restarted it (through the Schedule Updates dialog), but it keeps prompting for the vault password at each update. Should I try the Mondo Patch trick again?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Jim Shiffrin" ,

It should prompt for the Vault Password, every time you update, because it is a new installation. The new Updates, cleans out the tokens. Also occurs after the computer is restarted as well.

After you install the Mondo Patch, you still need to furnish the Vault Password, again. So, installing the Mondo Patch accomplishes, what?
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21354.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.867

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Jim Shiffrin
    Jim Shiffrin Member ✭✭
    After stopping bagent.exe, and restarting it using the "Schedule Updates" window, things appear to be working properly again. The reason I asked about the Mondo Patch is because that is what GeoffG suggested a couple of weeks ago when I had the same problem after a Software Update.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When Quicken Inc. rolled out an update years ago, they were infrequent. Now with the subscription version, they are almost weekly, it seems. With Schedule Updates, you must remember to set this back on after each version release. Otherwise, the update deactivates this option. And of course, after each reestablish, you will need to sign in the following day.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Jim Shiffrin
    Jim Shiffrin Member ✭✭
    Let me make sure I understand this. When I update Quicken to the next version, I have to manually stop bagent.exe and restart it with the Schedule Updates dialog. Then the first time it runs, I will still have to enter the password. Is that about it? (Would rebooting the PC also work, or would I have to enter the password before the first update as well as after the reboot?)
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Jim Shiffrin" ,

Exactly, however, you won't need to manually stop it, unless I'm wrong. (I don't use Scheduled Updates.)

Entering the Vault Password, is necessary on every restart of Windows or the computer and after loss of power.

Oops! speaking of a loss of power.. If you have the computer set to automatically restart after a loss of power, or a Blue Screen of death,don't blame Quicken, if Scheduled Updates, won't run. You need to re-enter the Vault Password again.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21354.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.867

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you don't need to worry about bagent.exe. It gets disabled during every update.
This discussion has been closed.