Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

BillPay and Other Usages of Quicken

@Chris_QPW For 20 years, I've only used Quicken for maintaining a checking account ledger and for scheduling bills in order of frequency and due date, along with tracking it against my checking account balance I use for paying them.
Personally, I would never think to keep track of things like investments or net worth in Quicken. First, why put all of that in one place for someone to possibly see? Second, there are far more sophisticated apps for doing those things, or even by just using a very private personal spreadsheet in Excel.
Until recently, I just lived with the bill-paying function being desktop-based in Quicken, but now nearly everything is a phone app and is far more convenient as such, particularly when travelling or being away from my computer. I'd like to keep using Quicken, but it is lacking a very important feature that should be present, and surely by now.
I'd be curious as to your thoughts. Thanks.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well since you ask.

My opinion of Quicken "cloud" is that it is a poorly implemented system prone to corrupting data files, and lacks anything other than the most rudimental features.
    And as such I would never trust my real data file to it, and wouldn't use it for managing my finances.  And I certainly wouldn't be pushing for a feature that few people have requested (bill paying) on such a bad system.

Now I don't have the need to manage my finances remotely, but if I did, and I was to stay with Quicken, I would do so by purchasing a good laptop or a  "two in one" computer.  Because that is where Quicken "works".

But in fact I dropped "bill paying systems" 30 years ago.  I have all my bills paid automatically through either my credit card, which pays me cash back, or for the few that don't allow that, through my checking account including the credit card bill.

My "bill paying process" pretty much amounts to making sure that I have enough money in my checking account for when the credit card bill comes due. And of course I get about 20 to 30 days notice on what that bill is through email when the statement comes in.

If I was "forced" to use my phone to manage my finances I could easily do that with the financial institution's mobile apps, which BTW I do have on my phone.  And I think the only thing I would miss is being able to see it all in one place like in Quicken.  But even there I probably could do the same with my financial institution pulling my credit card information into their site (not sure if the app would let me see it, but the website surely would).  Of course that would leave my investment information out, but like you said there are plenty of good ways to see that include the financial institution's websites/apps.

The biggest problems I have with using the phone is screen size, it is hard to see all the details and such on such a small screen and then of course keying in anything on a phone is a pain.  I have two 28" monitors at home, that is what I would miss the most, not the reporting or anything else from a feature standpoint.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Actually I would really miss my keyboard too!  I'm very picky on my keyboard since I use it extensively, and anything less that a good quality keyboard slows me down tremendously.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.