Include copy/paste in ALL drop down menus.

Copy/Paste is not available in all drop down menus...like when right clicking on the memo field within a register. It's available in, for example, the password entry for the vault.
5 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cut/Copy/Paste commands are available from the Edit menu, alternatively you can learn the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+X, C & V to do these operations more quickly than using the mouse and another menu item.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Mike Mierzwa
    Mike Mierzwa Member ✭✭
    I'm aware of the alternatives, but it just seems a bit strange that the copy/paste is offered in some drop downs but not others. Personally, I prefer using drop downs for these options because so many other apps have them. Sorta get used to doing things the same way.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree this is a long-standing annoyance.
    I am guessing that when the transaction menu was designed, someone thought it would be confusing to have both "Cut/Copy/Paste Transaction(s)" and regular "Cut/Copy/Paste" using Windows clipboard in the same menu. And it probably would be confusing.
    Is there another menu besides the transaction menu that lacks Cut/Copy/Paste?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also note that the Copy/Cut/Paste of transactions is more complicated behind the scenes than a simple text operation, and that may explain why Quicken has separate commands for these operations.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Also note that the Copy/Cut/Paste of transactions is more complicated behind the scenes than a simple text operation, and that may explain why Quicken has separate commands for these operations.
    In my opinion it is only complicated "to the user" because the Quicken developers made it complicated.

As in yes it might be a complicated operation behind the scenes, but that that has no bearing on the user interface.  One might click on a button that executes a million instructions operations and a very complicated internal processing, but that doesn't imply the clicking on the button has to be "complicated".

There are clearly defined "rules" on how to do such operations so that everyone understands what Copy/Cut/Paste mean without creating special menu items for each kind of these operations.

Select transaction(s), operations are for transactions.
    Select a field in a transaction, operations are for that field.

And that is how it should properly be done instead of adding a whole other setup of Copy/Cut/Paste menu items to an already big context menu.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Quicken you can have a transaction selected and also a text field in the transaction highlighted. In fact I don't think it is possible to highlight a text field in a transaction unless the transaction is also selected.

With a text field highlighted, Copy copies the text and I agree that it would be nice to have a Copy choice in the right-click menu. But you still need a separate Copy Transaction to copy the whole transaction.

Do you think it would be a good idea to change the UI so that Copy does something different depending on whether a text field is highlighted or not?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well it would certainly be easier for the Quicken developers to just 3 or 4 more menu items (and then probably have the people that are close the min requirement of the display complain about the menu not fitting on their display).  But it would be "more correct" to do it properly in the GUI.

On the other hand as I play with it, I think that the "choice has been made".  As in if they changed it in any way the complaints from people that expect it to work how it does right now would be too great.

BTW you can get a "field cut/copy/paste/delete menu to come up in some cases.
    For instance select the button to open the category list, now right click on the category field.

Signature:
  • reigninslayer
    reigninslayer Member ✭✭
    Anyone have issues coping a plain text transaction amount from an email or an external source and pasting the amount to your Quicken register? I used to be able to highlight the transaction amount in my card alert email from my bank and paste the transaction amount to my Quicken register. Now it stopped working. As a test I tried copying/pasting a transaction amount from Notepad and the paste function in Quicken no longer works. I know I am lazy and don't like to type the amount manually.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @reigninslayer I just tried typing in 10.00 the comment here, selecting it and pasting it onto a transaction using Ctrl+v and had no problem.  I'm on version R27.28.
    Signature:
  • reigninslayer
    reigninslayer Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW whatever issue I had with the copy/paste not working has been resolved. I think a reboot solved it.