Can I split an account into two accounts so I can keep the historical data?

Actually I'm not sure I'm asking the right question.
I am running Quicken Home & Business 2014 Release R 2 (23.1.2.12). System = Windows 10.

I've been running Quicken in various forms since 1994. I've kept the data because it's useful to be able to search back for all sorts of reasons. Today in my oldest checking account (call it Checking A) I recorded 4 payments. On the fourth payment (2 in another account, 1 in the Checking A in question, the last in Checking A) Quicken crashed. I restored my data file from a backup and can add the first 3 of these payments. Once I try to enter that last transaction Quicken crashes.

When I start up Quicken I can look up my other accounts - no issue. But if I go back to Checking A I get a "Quicken has encountered a problem and needs to close..." error dialog. I can't send the report either. I also tried rebooting to see if that would help but it didn't change any results.

So my theory is that maybe there's a limit on transactions in a file? Or something like that? And now I've reached that limit? If I'm correct what I'd like to do is split Checking A into 2 accounts, one just so I can keep searching and making reports, and the other to continue as a working account.

Sorry I've gone on so long. I didn't know how to say this in a shorter form that would still accurately convey the situation. If there's something else I could / should do I'm all ears. I need my Quicken back. Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Help menu, hold CTRL while clicking About Quicken. Post the contents of the resulting dialog here.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Aardvark32
    Aardvark32 Member
    Size of QDF File: 35706K
    Accounts: 23
    Categories: 370
    Memorized Payees: 455
    Securities: 25
    Transactions: 35295

System Resources
    Available Memory 2097151K
    Total memory: 2097151K
    --------------------------------------------------
    Just for grins I tried entering a transaction in two other accounts. Both went fine - no problems and Quicken didn't crash. I could try additional accounts but right now I think there's something with the Checking A account.

I guess that accounts is Active accounts?
  • Aardvark32
    Aardvark32 Member
    Thanks. Yes I see that I have missed a lot of updates. I've downloaded all of the updates but from the documentation on the web site it appears I should be able to just run the most recent patch (Release 10 MONDO) and it will overwrite all files and I'll be done. I'll come back here with results.

Frankly at this point I'd just buy a new version but I really object to paying a subscription.
  • Aardvark32
    Aardvark32 Member
    I just rant the Mondo Release 10 patch file. This seems to have fixed my problem. At least I was able to enter a new item in the account that started causing me problems yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to use this Release for the foreseeable future. Thank you so much UKR!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you got past the problem with crashing.
    If you ever have crashes again, please run Step (2) of

Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

to attempt to repair your data file.
    Remember to create backups of your data file to a drive other than your internal hard drive every time you close Quicken. You may have to restore a broken data file from a backup if its not repairable.
    As to splitting an account into two pieces: You can always
    • create a new account register (Add Account function, select to create a Manual Account),
    • transfer the account balance from [old register name] to [new register name]
    • change all scheduled reminders to use [new register name]
    • begin using the new register for all transactions
    • close the old register
    • do NOT delete the old register if you want to retain all your transaction history.
  • Aardvark32
    Aardvark32 Member
    Thanks for the head's up about the Troubleshooting 101 page. That will also help.

I do have backup software that runs every night - it's supposed to catch any files that were modified that day and the backups do go to another disk. Having that backup helped, as well as the backup from Quicken (which asks every so often when I close the app).

If coming on this forum and asking this question didn't get me to a solution, my next step was going to do what you suggest for creating a new Quicken account. At the time it seemed like a formidable task although I think in the end it might not have taken more than an hour. Nonetheless I'm happier that the software updates appear to have fixed my problem.

Thanks again for your help.
This discussion has been closed.