Why doesn't Q calculate Estimated Income?

The Security Detail window automatically captures every stock's dividend. But if we want Estimated Income to appear on the Investments/Portfolio screen, we have to laboriously enter the dividend from the Security Detail into Edit Security Details/Other Info. Why is this function not automated in Quicken? Could y'all please just do it?
9 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is hard for us users to answer "why" questions, but note that many securities, especially mutual funds, do not pay consistent dividends throughout the year. This makes it difficult to estimate what the annual income will be: should it be a multiple of the most recent dividend, the same as the last 12 months' total dividends, or what? 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • PeterC
    PeterC Member ✭✭
    Jim, the why isn't really the point, and I'm asking for the improvement only with regard to individual securities whose dividend is a)known and b) already captured in Quicken.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Agreed, the data is there to calculate a pretty good estimate.  Dividend yield is reported in a Portfolio view column for most mutual funds and could be used to calculate an annual Estimated Income.
  • PeterC
    PeterC Member ✭✭
    Do people at Q read our questions?
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    This request has risen periodically for more than a decade.  You could post it as a suggestion, I've been surprised before by Quicken actions. 

https://community.quicken.com/categories/investments-(windows)
  • Jim_Harman
    See this discussion for further info on this topic
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20021416#Comment_20021416
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello @PeterC,

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the Community!

I went ahead and turned this discussion into an Idea thread so that other users are able to vote on it.

Be sure to add your vote by clicking on the gray triangle right above the current vote count, located in the blue box at the beginning of this thread:

Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support the concept of this idea.  The implementation will need to be fully thought out, though.  Jim has cited some relevant issues.  Is it a routine to translate downloaded data into the existing data field (Security Details / Other)?  How would that relate to user entries?  Can the user override?  A new set of columns in a portfolio view?  How does it apply to bonds that have a defined interest rate?

Put in enough thought and execute it correctly, it will be a helpful addition.
  • hank_ster
    hank_ster Member
    The good folks at Quicken (really, really) need to include an an optional feature (i.e., 'Investing|Update') that enables a user to write the value (if not blank/empty) contained in 'Security Detail|Quote|Ann Div/Share' field to the 'Security Details|Other Info|Est. Income' field.

I currently use Quicken to manage my personal portfolio of 100+ securities and use the Estimated Income for each security to derive/report on an estimate of the cash flow potential over the next 12 months. Most of my securities announce (and pay) dividends on a monthly basis, which means that I go through each security in Quicken every month to compare the current (dynamically updated) value contained in the 'Ann Div/Share' field to what's in the static 'Est. Income' field, and if they're not the same, then key-in the new dividend amount in the 'Est. Income' field. Not particularly challenging, but definitely time consuming and a real PITA.
  • Jim_Harman
    An option for each security to use the downloaded dividend data or allow the user to enter it manually would be a nice enhancement. There is already a similar option to use the downloaded asset class information or set it manually.