Show or Hide Transfers in Reports based on Category (Q Mac)

Zoolook
Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in Reports (Mac)
** if this has been requested already, please link me to the request so I can upvote it**

Hi - currently you can include or exclude transfers based on whether the accounts being transferred to are included in the report, which is very useful. However, if you have a very targeted report like a principle/interest report on a loan over time, you have to include either all transfers or none, you can't select which transfers to include based on the category you used on the transfer.

Being able to separately categorize transfers in Quicken is really powerful, but your reporting on it is constrained as mentioned above.

Example:

I have Mortgage Payments as a category and Principle/Interest as subcategories where Principle is also a transfer to the mortgage account. I do this so the spending will show in the spending summary pie (because it hides transfers and you cannot override that).

This is how my transactions are entered into the register.

So when you create a report, you'd select the categories you want to report on

But when it comes to transfers, you can only either exclude all (which it does), or include all transfers or all transfers outside of the report (in which case it ignores your category selection and shows ALL transfers even those with no category).

One workaround is to include every account except the one you want reported on, but then it shows the principle payment under "transfer to" rather than the category principle, and usually introduces other noise as well, such as any other transfers to that account.

Could you add a filter to only show categorized transfers, in which case the categories selected in the Categories tab would define the population included.

Thanks
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    "Being able to separately categorize transfers in Quicken is really powerful"

It is also wrong by proper accounting practices. And from what I have heard is going away.

The history is the Quicken Essentials didn't have real transfers that are linked to another account.  And when transfers were added, not to "upset" people they allowed you to categorized a transfer.  But this leads to problem in "double counting" transactions in report and budgets and such.  It is probably one of the main reasons Quicken Mac doesn't allow transfer to be included in the budgets.

From what I understand this "miss step" is slowly being addressed with the final result being that you won't be able to categorize transfers any more.  And that is part of reworking the reports and budget to be able to select transfers (as a separate selection from selecting accounts).
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'd still like to be able to specify which transfers are included in a report, rather than be limited to all, none or only accounts not in report.. Whether this is done by using the category or simply by selecting or de-selecting the target account, I don't really mind.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Zoolook  I understand your request, but they're just not going to do it. As Chris noted above, the developers have said they are removing the ability to apply a category to a transfer because it's not proper accounting. This is why over the past year they added to ability to include/exclude transfers in both reports and budgets. So they're not going to add a way to filter transfers by category because categorized transfers won't exist in the future.

As you noted at the end of your original post, you have to use the Advanced tab to select transfers to accounts not in the report, and then exclude the loan account in the Accounts tab. This will make your principal payment show up in the report; it may not be alphabetically where you'd prefer it, but at least it gets the correct data into the report.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs

I am not expecting them to allow categorization of categories - that was a workaround, but a necessary one because of deficiencies elsewhere, but I get it that it's going away.

They should allow the report to include or exclude transfers on an account by account basis, which other financial applications do (see screenshot). There are many use-cases for doing so, particularly metrics that certain types of transfers allude to (such as paying off loans Vs retirement contributions).

Let's say you want a report to show contributions to retirement, and you consider your retirement accounts to be a couple of 401(k)s, IRA, maybe one of several investment accounts and you have income into more than one checking account. In the other software I am alluding to, you simple select the income account and the transfers to the accounts you consider 'retirement' as your in-scope transfers. That's it. You can see trends over time, totals, distribution etc easily. In Quicken, it's almost impossible without resorting to excel. Then there's the disparity between the desktop and mobile versions of the reporting, which show entirely different things, but I won't get into that here.

I think this would be a relatively trivial enhancement from a development point of view, and provide a lot of extra flexibility in the reporting capability of the product. There's no harm in requesting it.

As an aside, I spent about 15 years of my career designing and building reports for a number of banks, software such as Cognos, Qilkview, Tableau etc., and this kind of this is pretty rudimentary. QFM's reporting as improved a lot of the last 2 years, and this would be another step forward IMO.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    As a Quicken Windows user that workaround seems strange, and I think I could come up with situations where it won't work.  For instance I want the report to have transactions in that register, and I want its transfers, but I don't want "all transfers".

Here is Quicken Windows Advanced dialog.  No real surprises there.

And here in the categories you see this:

Now I don't like the mixing of the transfers with the categories, which has caused other problems in Quicken Windows, but as you can see I can select individual bank accounts, these are the "transfers".  I agree with @Zoolook that transfers per account should be selectable in some way.  This doesn't violate the accounting.

And just to be clear I have scrolled up to show "regular categories".

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/