Shares in a mutual fund error message?

I moved a mutual fund into a money market fund with the same provider. When I entered the new fund into Quicken the number of shares transferred over. Now I'm getting an error message that the money market fund shares (which should be zero) are incorrect. How do I fix?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you did this correctly? 
    Ordinarily I wouldn't use the words "move" and "transferred", (which suggests, in Quicken, a "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action). with changing from a "mutual fund" to a "money market fund."  I'd expect that would be a "Sold" action for the mutual fund followed by a "Buy - Shares Bought" action for the money market fund, or a "Cash Transferred Between Accounts" action followed with a "Buy" action.
    I also don't understand " Now I'm getting an error message that the money market fund shares (which should be zero) are incorrect."  If you bought the money market fund why would you thing the shares should be zero?
    Maybe you could flesh out what went on here, with some real numbers? 

• billbrandi
    billbrandi Member
    Here's a better description of what happened: I have an investment that allows for conversion into a money market fund. After conversion, I downloaded the new investment data. The number of shares in the old mutual fund came over in the download to the money market fund, but since there are no shares in a money market fund I'm getting an error message.