Disk error when reconciling

I get a disk error when reconciling and lose all my data except for a few transactions from 2016. This has happened several times now.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    What sort of disk?  And, this MAY indicate a hardware problem rather than a Q problem.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • marym
    marym Member
    this has happened on two laptops. After I enter reconciliation and say 'done', I get an error writing to disk. Then all my data is lost. I just did a validate and the log said it fixed a lot of my checking account transactions but after validation, I lost all my data back to 2017. I have been using quicken for years and have never had an issue this large before. I basically can no longer use it.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your Quicken data file on a local hard disk -
    that is also being accessed and backed up to remote storage -
    such as DropBox, OneDrive, Box, etc...
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • marym
    marym Member
    I've done some more work on the problem. I can download transactions just fine. I've also done backups after the accepting the downloaded transactions which seem to work fine if I restore from the backup, all the data is gone and I mean empty (no transactions). Once I leave quicken and then re-open quicken, the data in the file is gone. I am able to restore to the file I've backed up but hey also show no transactions. I have tried disabling cloud sync but it doesn't take. after turning sync off, if I go back and look, the sync is back on again.

My quicken file is on a local hard drive in the default quicken folder. This is definitely not a hardware problem as the same occurs on both laptops.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you tried to validate your Quicken data file?
  • marym
    marym Member
    I tried that and got some errors and again lost my data. The error said there was a bad block.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited July 2020
    Then your Quicken data file is corrupt. Hopefully you can find an earlier backup that's not corrupt. You can also try copying the file from within Quicken.

https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
This discussion has been closed.