Home Welcome to the Community! The Water Cooler

Warning Scare Scammer via Chat Line

I have used Quicken since the beginning with few issues. On July 2, I was downloading financial data to my Quicken account. Schwab did not work. I have never had this problem, so I called Schwab. After an hour the problem was diagnosed as a Quicken OL-301-A problem. I was advised to seek help from Quicken. I went to the Quicken website and began looking in the help section. Fairly soon a chat line popped up. I have used chat lines in the past, so I responded. Victor who "allegedly" worked for Quicken was ready to help. He was very well spoken and assured me he could solve the issue. He had to speak to the Security Team and download some software when I gave him access to my computer. After more time and details than you want to read, Victor had the solution with a company named R*****-S****. He was vague and finally shared the price for the "fix". It ranged from $789 to $989 with a 30% discount if I was over 60. I only had to write a check. At this point, I realized that I had been scammed and was very angry. I told him I had to think about it. He had given me two phone numbers to respond to him. I now know after I googled them that they are verified scam fraud numbers. BE VERY CAREFUL. It was after hours for Quicken, so I called Quicken on July 3. She said this happens sometimes. She was sorry. I had spent hours locking down my accounts, changing passwords, canceling my VISA etc. I am somewhat short of hysterical and she was sorry. After the July 4 holiday, I called Quicken again. He said they do not have a chat line and this had never happened to anyone else. I am not sure I believe this. I was fooled by a scare scammer and have lost hours of time on this. WARNING

Comments

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    A few comments.

"I went to the Quicken website".  It doesn't sound like it.

www.Quicken.com doesn't have a "chat" that reaches out to you, you need to start the chat using the button here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Also Quicken support does have the ability to "screen share", but that program doesn't allow the Quicken support people to do anything on your computer.

It is great that you are warning people, and I'm glad they didn't actually get any money out of you.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    Oh and for anyone that sees this.  Quicken support is free (included in the subscription).
  • AzcactusAzcactus Member
    I was on the Quicken home page. 15 Subtitles over at the top is "Help". Under help are 20 more subtitles. I was looking around in those subtitles when the pop up occurred. Since I rarely look for help, I was naive to follow the pop up. Somehow the scammer appeared. I will rarely trust a "chat" line now. Just warning others of possible scammer infiltrating home page.
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running Quicken for Windows or Mac?

Was this the Home tab in the Quicken desktop software, or the home page on Quicken.com, or someplace else? 
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16
    Azcactus said:
    I was on the Quicken home page. 15 Subtitles over at the top is "Help". Under help are 20 more subtitles. I was looking around in those subtitles when the pop up occurred.
    It sounds like you were still in the Quicken program....
    as that is where the "Help" text is displayed
    at the top right of the Quicken program menu. 
    The Quicken.com website starts by calling that area "Support".
    https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    ps56k said:
    It sounds like you were still in the Quicken program.... 
    Not from this comment "I went to the Quicken website and began looking in the help section. Fairly soon a chat line popped up."
    Azcactus said:
    I was on the Quicken home page. 15 Subtitles over at the top is "Help". Under help are 20 more subtitles. I was looking around in those subtitles when the pop up occurred. Since I rarely look for help, I was naive to follow the pop up. Somehow the scammer appeared. I will rarely trust a "chat" line now. Just warning others of possible scammer infiltrating home page.
    How did you find the Quicken home page?

One of the most common scamming technics is to get a website with a name close to the one they are scamming and produce a web page that looks very much like it and but of course with their own code to allow for things like a popup chat.
    Basically if someone just searches the Internet and comes up with a page that looks like Quicken's they believe they are on Quicken's website and it goes from there.

Your mentioning of "Help" at the top.  Here is what Quicken.com's main page looks like, and I see no "Help" only "Support".

But maybe you are talking about this.

Anyways like I said it is possible to a very good job of faking a whole website.

The key keeping safe, is to that is make sure you are really at: https://www.quicken.com/
    And that the lock is there showing that it is in fact a secure site.

If you were at https://www.quicken.com/ then I'm afraid that is even more troubling.
    As I said the site has no popup chat that you don't start by selecting this button.

And that would imply that somehow they got control of your web browser and interjected the pop up chat.
    I went to my normal login for Quicken Deluxe for Windows in my computer. That is where all my financial data is summarized. In order to update I must enter a Vault Password while using the One Step Update. That is where I was looking at help. I thought it would be called the Home Page because all is on that page before I might look for more details. Thanks for the additional comment.
    So maybe you started from this menu?

Certainly nothing on it should take you to a "faked site" or such.  If this is what you used that is very troublesome.
    Yes. I only log into my account for access to Quicken. That is why the pop up was trusted by me. Had I been doing a general look around on the web I would have been more suspicious when the helper popped up. Now I don't even trust Home Depot's chat line.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17
    Azcactus said:
    Yes. I only log into my account for access to Quicken.
    just for clarification - and terminology -
    We are confused by your mentioning this - as you don't actually "log into" the Quicken desktop software.... like you would with the Quicken.com website.
    You might enter a password - for your Quicken Data File -
    or as you mention, the Quicken One Step Update Vault Password....

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
    I may not use the correct nouns or verbs. I have a Quicken icon on my computer opening screen among many others. I double click on the Quicken icon. The Quicken Deluxe Page with all my financials appears. Then if I click Tools - One Step Update is available. I enter the vault password. One Step Update Progress begins updating each of my brokerage accounts etc. One brokerage account at a time with previously identified passwords.
    Was it during the One Step Update that the chat window appeared without you clicking on anything else, or did you click on Help and then Quicken Support and then you got the chat window, or did you do something else?
    I believe I had clicked Help and was looking at the subtitle choices. I was not in the middle of One Step Update.
    OK thanks. I am trying to tell whether you were inside the Quicken program, you were on the real Quicken.com website, or you were somewhere else when the chat box appeared.

For example, might you have typed "Quicken help" or something like that into the top line of your web browser? That would do a web search and could lead you to a bogus support site.