Home Quicken for Mac Registers & Transactions (Mac)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

All Transactions Search

I really love the new release - Version 5.17.2. Kudos to the Quicken team for really listening to your customers! New reports are great. I really love the new way of dealing with hidden and closed reports. I've been using Quicken for 25 years (PC, then Mac) and have a gazillion accounts which have been long closed but I still want to be able to search from time to time. I couldn't mark them as hidden because then search didn't search them. Now I can mark them hidden or closed and do, according to the release notes, an "ALL TRANSACTION SEARCH".

Which leads me to my question -- how do I do an "ALL TRANSACTION SEARCH"? If I select Separate accounts the items in my hidden files do match the search. But if I select All Transactions, the hidden accounts are not being searched. True I can always do two searches (which is still better than before the new release) but there should be away to search hidden and non-hidden accounts in a single search. What am I missing?

Best Answer

• lp1756lp1756 Member ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    John_in_NC, thanks for your prompt response. Though this functionality is a definite improvement over the previous version I am disappointed. The "Whats New in Quicken 5.17" very clearly says that you can search hidden accounts as part of an All Transactions search. If, as you say, this is not the case somebody should correct that statement. And allow me to take back my praise of this release as I don't yet know what other features described in the "What's New" also don't yet work.

Answers

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    At this point, you will have to perform the two separate searches, or create a transaction report customized to search for the desired criteria in all accounts including the Separate accounts that are deselected by default. The latter would give you a report with totals for both visible and separate/hidden accounts.
    Accepted Answer
    John_in_NC, thanks for your prompt response. Though this functionality is a definite improvement over the previous version I am disappointed. The "Whats New in Quicken 5.17" very clearly says that you can search hidden accounts as part of an All Transactions search. If, as you say, this is not the case somebody should correct that statement. And allow me to take back my praise of this release as I don't yet know what other features described in the "What's New" also don't yet work.
    Technically, yes, you can search those accounts via the All Accounts search (when you select Separate accounts), so the "What's New" is correct. And I can understand why the design decision was made to make it behave this way: those accounts wouldn't be "Separate" or "Hidden" if they were included in the All Transactions search for accounts not marked as such. Not all users would want that. 

I can understand use cases for both behaviors. If you feel strongly about this preference, you might request that a moderator change this post to a feature request, or post a new thread with it marked as such.
  • RickORickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Unless I'm not understanding what's being said here, I have to disagree. When I select the All Transactions group register at the top of the sidebar and do a search from there, the results do include both hidden and separate accounts. Therefore the What's New seems to be right on.

Am I misunderstanding something?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
    edited July 2020
    RickO said:
    Unless I'm not understanding what's being said here, I have to disagree. When I select the All Transactions group register at the top of the sidebar and do a search from there, the results do include both hidden and separate accounts. Therefore the What's New seems to be right on.

Am I misunderstanding something?
    They do not for me. 

If they are hidden (and not Separate), then yes, they are visible in searching. But, the default conversion converts those to as being separate. (At least that is what occurred for me.)

If the user manually switches the setting for those files, then yes, the search will work-but that can affect Net Worth if balance is not zero.

You bring up a good point if the user has all the accounts closed, so it might work for he or she.
    OK. I see what's happening now. If the account is marked Hidden but not Separate, and whether it's marked Closed or not, it does show up in the All Transactions search. Another factor that got me was when I first clicked on All Transactions, the window came up with Spending selected, not Transactions. So I had to check that Transactions is selected on the All Transactions view and now it does work as advertised. The big issue was the Separate setting and as you pointed out after upgrading Separate was defaulted on my old, zero balance accounts. All I have to do is turn off Separate (which I don't really need anyway) and make sure I'm looking at Transactions in the All Transactions view and it works. Thanks for your help.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems to contradict @RickO 's comment
    "...the results do include both hidden and separate accounts."

Who is right? Which way is this feature supposed to work?

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickORickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2020
    It does seem to contradict. I changed an account to (1) hidden, (2) separate and (3) both hidden and separate. Then I used the search box to search the All Transactions register for a unique entry in the memo field. In all three cases, the search found the memo. Seems to me to be working and advertised and how it should.

Bearing in mind that only visible columns are searched. Could that be the discrepancy?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.