Quicken 2016 has suddenly stopped working

I have been using Quicken 2016 for the last several years and it has worked fine up until today. Now, when I try to start it, there is just a quick flash of a white screen, then it closes. I have shut down the computer twice, but it still isn't working. Can you help with this?

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Have you Shutdown or Restart? If you have fast startup enabled, a shutdown will NOT do a restart. Try rebooting.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the answer. I have both shut the machine off and restarted, and rebooted the machine-neither have worked. I have also put the Quicken disk in the CD drive, but the drive fails to recognize the disk. When I click on the drive, it opens and tells me to insert a disk. Any further suggestions? Thanks for your help
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you tried the CD in another drive?
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    At your recommendation, I tried it in the other drive that I have, and the computer recognizes it. If I reinstall the program, will I lose all the information? I do have a backup, but I am not sure that it is up to date.

Thanks again for your help
  • Greg_the_Geek
    No, the Quicken program and data file are independent. To be safe, copy you .QDF file to an external drive. You should use QCleanUI (https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken) to remove Quicken 2016. When you reinstall, make sure you get the latest Mondo patch.
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    Thanks again for your help. I have looked through the Quicken folder and can't find a .qdf file. Where should I look for this?

Thanks again
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Try searching for .QDF files using Windows File Explorer. The default location for Quicken data files is C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken.
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    Thanks again. I finally got everything done, and the "new" Quicken is installed, but now when I sign in using my Intuit password, I get the message "An unknown error occurred. Please try to connect later." I know that I am using the right password, so I am not sure what is wrong.
    If I try to change the password, I get a server not found screen, so I can't get into the program.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Make sure you get the latest Mondo patch for Quicken 2016 from:
    http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    Greg

I followed the instructions at the above address and downloaded the file, but when I run the file, I get a message that states that Quicken is not installed on this machine. This is very frustrating.

Thanks again
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    How did you install that "new" quicken?  What did you install from?
    Because the error message basically indicates that the Mondo that you downloaded isn't for the same product year that you have installed.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    I installed Quicken 2016 Deluxe from the installation disc. How do I find the right Mondo to allow me to sign in?

Thanks
  • NotACPA
    edited July 2020
    Go back to the link previously provided ... and make sure that you scroll down to the QW2016 version.  You'd be looking for "Release 19.5 Mondo".
    OR, if by any chance you're running Q Canada ... Hover over the "Quicken Info" link and then over the "Quicken Patches" link to reveal the Quicken Canada link to patches for that program.
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    That website doesn't have Release 19.5 Mondo. It only has the one Mondo for download, the other ones listed are just notes. I can't see where you can download any older Mondos.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Did you scroll down to 2016?

• NotACPA
    Are you going to the QuickNPerlwiz site?
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help. I am going to the http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html web site, but I only find one (US) file to download, and it gives me the error message that Quicken is not installed on my machine. What web site did you go to to get the screen shot above?

Thanks again
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    I am sorry, I went back to the website, and found what you said was there. I am trying to download it now, and will let you know if it work.

Thanks again for your help
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    I installed the QW2016R19.5 Mondo, and now I am back to where I was when I started. When I click on Quicken, I get the Quicken splash screen, then it flashes white, and then nothing. I don't even get the sigh-in screen. In chating with Quicken support, they said that I have to update to Quicken 2020 and pay for a new membership in order to get this to work. It appears that this is the case.

Thanks to all of you for your help.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    That's not correct. Quicken 2016 should still function without online services. Try starting Quicken by holding down the Control key and then clicking the Quicken icon. Wait until Quicken starts without opening a data file to release the Control key. If Quicken opens, there's a problem with your data file. You might need to restore a backup.
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    The program does the same thing when I hold down the Control key; the splash screen, then nothing. I certainly agree that it SHOULD function without on-line services, but the sign-in that was required (before I installed the Mondo) makes me think that Intuit did something to make an upgrade mandatory.
    I would be glad to try anything else you think might work.

Thanks very much for your help
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    That is good news. Did you have to sign in to get it to work? When you say the "latest Mondo patch", do you mean the latest 2016 patch or the most current patch?
    I am sorry but I don't know how to create a new Windows user account.

Thanks very much for your help
  • Greg_the_Geek
    The latest Quicken 2016 Mondo patch (R19.5). It changes Quicken to use a Quicken ID and not an Intuit ID. 
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    That is the Mondo patch that I installed.

Would you tell me how to create a new Windows user account?

Thanks
  • Greg_the_Geek
  • Bechtelbrad
    Bechtelbrad Member ✭✭
    SUCCESS - creating a new Windows account worked.

THANKS very much for your help and patience.
This discussion has been closed.