Current data file loads only from flash drive?

Copying a data file from the desktop machine to laptop (either by backup to USB & restore from, copy to USB and restore from or copy from one machine to another via home network), if the file is on the laptop's drive, Quicken can't load it. If, however, you try and load the data file directly from the USB and not the drive, the file loads. Quicken responds with 'cannot open file'. No error number.

We've successfully transferred the data file from desktop to laptop for years.

I can load an older data file on the laptop from Quicken's laptop hard drive Backup folder.

I have repeatedly Validated this data file, whether on the desktop or loaded from the USB on the laptop.

I've tried loading the file from the laptop's desktop instead of Quicken's hard drive default data location--no go.

The Quicken version is 2003 on both machines. The desktop is Windows 7. The laptop is Windows 10.

We will be migrating to Quicken 2020 this year.

Mark

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Mark209
    Mark209 Member ✭✭
    The paths for the two locations are:
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\Quicken Data\EVERGREEN4_GOOD.QDF

C:\Users\conni\Desktop\EVERGREEN4_GOOD.QDF

See the screenshot for Controlled Access. Norton has taken over the bulk of MS security chores.

She does have OneDrive installed. I exited OneDrive and attempted to load the file but no difference.

Mark
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Mark209 From the above it seems like Controlled Access is on, what's more that you can't change its settings to allow Quicken to be one of the programs that can access those folders.  There probably is some setting in Norton that would allow it, but the best thing might be just to avoid using any of the controlled access folders for storing your Quicken data file.  The controlled folders are like the Desktop, Documents, Pictures, ...

So create a folder like:  C:\Quicken and copy the data file to there using File Explorer and then double click on it to open it.  That will let Quicken know where it is, and the next time you start Quicken it will open it from there.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mark209
    Mark209 Member ✭✭
    I confirmed the Dell is not running Defender. The only security is the free Malwarebytes and Norton that have been present forever.

I disabled Norton. The problem remains.

I created the new directory C:\Quicken Temp Test Data and copied in one data file. Double clicking on the file has the same result as attempting to open from the Desktop or Users. And again, Quicken has no problem opening any data file that I copy to the flashdrive.

I should note Quicken's behavior when attempting to open (double click) a data file on the C:\ drive: Quicken opens without the data file. A dialogue box (and these are paraphrases) appears asking if you want to open a file on the computer or ... I say the computer and click Next... and you know the rest. I guess the OS knows the association of the data file extension and Quicken, causing Quicken to open whereupon Quicken has no clue.

I guess when my wife needs to use the Dell, until we've migrated, she'll just have to work from a flashdrive.

Btw, I will be posting a question here shortly regarding the most similar 2020 version of our current and confirm the data file update/conversion steps that I went through a few years ago testing the waters.

Mark
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You said you are running Q 2003 on both computers.
    When installing or re-installing Quicken on either computer, did you also download and install all available software patch files for Q 2003?

Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+

When running an old, unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    However, until further notice they are still available here:
    US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    Canadian version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatchescanadian.html
    If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show the highest Release number available for your version (year), as shown on this webpage, download and install the appropriate file(s) from the link above.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'm thinking about it ...
    On Windows 10, do you have .Net Framework support for older .Net versions 2.0 - 3.5 enabled?
    See this discussion for details
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20064213#Comment_20064213

• Mark209
    Mark209 Member ✭✭
    I'm sort of OCD when it comes to updates/patches. If they were available at the time of install, an unqualified yes. However, she's been through ~4 desktop machines/installs and there's a better than good chance that the last install might not have had available updates. And I'm fairly certain the 3 year old Dell didn't for its Q install. So Excellent point and I'll try that link this afternoon.

I'll take a look at the status of the Dell's Dot Net Framework but the link was referring to Q 2013. Regardless, it can't hurt to do.

Even though this problem has a kludge solution and the version thing will be gone I really don't like leaving a problem unsolved. I have never run across this type of problem with any OS and any application. I may just post over at the Win10 forum on principle.

Mark
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are using the US version of Q 2003 Deluxe or Premier you may want to consider upgrading to at least Q 2013 using this upgrade procedure:

http://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

A free upgrade to Q 2013 Deluxe is part of the upgrade procedure.
    This should eliminate file system compatibility issues similar to what you described.
  • Mark209
    Mark209 Member ✭✭
    US version (Evergreen, CO).

Per reasons just provided to volvogirl, we'll be going past '13 to current '20.

I have to run out now and don't have time to follow and read your link. Will that same update page take you past '13 to '20?

Thanks,

Mark
  • Mark209
    Mark209 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > If you are using the US version of Q 2003 Deluxe or Premier you may want to consider upgrading to at least Q 2013 using this upgrade procedure:
    > http://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken
    >
    >
    >
    > A free upgrade to Q 2013 Deluxe is part of the upgrade procedure.This should eliminate file system compatibility issues similar to what you described.

Thanks for sticking with me and this problem.

I read the support information on your above link. I will list numerically (to keep track) my upgrade/convert questions.

1. Is there any way aside from a dual boot or VM environment to *keep the current Q2003 install on the Win7 machine AND avoid (as Quicken does) the next Q version in the data convert process from automatically uninstalling an existing Q install?

2. My interpretation of the above link page is that they *expect some data loss on conversions before Q2010. Do you all have any good information on the data loss type, extent and ability for the software to at least flag the precise problem(s) and then any realistic user ability to fix the data manually?

3. Again, according to the above link page... you need only download and install Quicken 2004 and then 2013 for the conversion process. The page says you're ready to install 'the current version' (meaning 2020 and presumably that version will do its own datafile conversion?).

Mark
  • Mark209
    Mark209 Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > You said you are running Q 2003 on both computers.
    > When installing or re-installing Quicken on either computer, did you also download and install all available software patch files for Q 2003?Old Quicken Patch downloads 2000+
    >
    > When running an old,
    > unsupported Quicken for Windows version you may no longer be able to download
    > bug fixes (patch files) directly from Quicken.
    >
    > However, until further notice they are still available here:
    >
    > US version: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Thanks again--

I'll patch here current 2003 install per the above link just to be sure.

When I download 2004 and 2013 during the convert process, will those versions be up to date with the latest patches or do I go back to the 'patch page' and download and patch?

Thanks,

Mark