Merging securities?

Hi. I recently bought Quicken Premiere for Windows and am having some trouble creating/updating accounts, mostly due to wanting to include additional transactions through at least the beginning of last year. As Quicken only downloads 3(?) months of data I go into my accounts and download older transactions in quicken format. Sometimes issues pop up but most of them will just take time to go through.

However I'm not sure how to fix my 401(k) account. I downloaded older transactions from Fidelity and the transactions create a different security name.

For example, BP SMALL MID CAP VAL is exactly the same security as BP SMALL MID CAP VAL(TF1G) where Fidelity added their internal reference code for that fund to the name. Is there a way to merge the securities or at least move the transactions from one to the other? Thanks.

Answers

• sbjnyc
    sbjnyc Member
    I added a pic to show what I mean.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are BOTH BP Mid Cap securities held, exclusively, in your 401k?  Exclusive is the key word there.
    Do both have the same ticker and NAV?
    Approximately how many TRANSACTIONS of each are there?

The reason for these questions is that, sometimes, a 401k security will have the same name as a "real world" security ... but it isn't really the same.  Different NAV's and the 401k wouldn't have a ticker.
    If you could show us a screenshot of what's at the 401k provider, it would help.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• sbjnyc
    sbjnyc Member
    Thanks for the reply. The securities are identical. When I setup the Fidelity 401(k) account in Quicken, it initially created transactions from 4/26/2020 to the present. I downloaded transactions from 12/27/2017 through 4/25/2020 to avoid duplicated transactions from Fidelity in the QIF format. When I imported into Fidelity, Quicken created new securities for each position in my account. As I previously mentioned, the security names were changed by adding Fidelity's internal code for each fund (not all funds have a ticker - Fidelity tracks them with it's own internal code which may be unique for each 401(k) account it administers)

In the latter downloaded m, but Fidelity added its internal identifier to the name when I downloaded the older transactions. Fidelity tracks funds by its own internal. This is a screenshot of my Fidelity account showing this specific fund.

I'm not sure how to work with images in this forum so I'll add the quicken image in a comment.
  • sbjnyc
    sbjnyc Member
    I attached a screenshot from Quicken showing the lots for each name. You can see it's just a continuation of transactions for the same security.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By using the QIF import, I believe any "ask" about adding a new security was skipped over by the program.

I suggest you edit each of the original downloaded transactions (post 4/26/20) to match the names from the QIF file download and delete the associated placeholder.  Then you can delete the original named securities.  If you choose to (I would), you can then rename to QIF file version to match the names just deleted.  I would also set the tickers of those to properly correspond (if these are real market traded securities).

With your next Fidelity download (if not sooner), you'll be able to match the names reported by Fidelity to your Quicken version of those securities.  Since the names and tickers would match, that should be an almost automatic action.     
This discussion has been closed.