Cannot start Quicken

I've been using Quicken for Windows since 2009. Running Quicken subscription for a while now. Today, when I double-click on the program, Quicken won't start. I sometimes will get the initial splash screen, but the qw.exe process just goes away (watched it come and go in task manager). Support is currently closed (after hours), so I'm hoping someone has additional suggestions while I wait for them to open.

I have followed the instructions found here:
https://www.quicken.com/support/unable-open-quicken-after-updating-latest-release
I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice. Turned off Windows Defender and Firewall, run QcleanUI as instructed here:
https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
Rebooted multiple times, checked to ensure all windows updates are installed, and run sfc /scannow following the process given here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

I am running Windows 10 Pro 2004 build 19041.388.
qw.exe version is 27.1.27.28
Tagged:

Comments

• Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    I might suggest renaming your quicken file, see if its a quicken installation error, or a problem with your data file. (or hold the control key while opening quicken). Then try opening your data file.. if it crashes, try restoring yesterdays file, or testing with a new file? If quicken still doesn't open, uninstall, maybe create another another administrator account to windows, reboot, and log into that to reinstall quicken. Event Viewer/Windows logs can also sometimes shed light on system problems.
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • kentho_98
    kentho_98 Member
    Thanks Studpup. I've run through those steps. Looking through Event Viewer again, I finally found some errors logged. qw.exe is logging an OutOfMemoryException in .net framework. A few other programs are logging the same error, so there must be something wrong with .net. I've run the .net framework repair tool, but it didn't find anything. I've got v4.8 installed, so there's not a good way to uninstall/reinstall the framework. This machine has 64GB of memory and bcd reports no bad memory blocks. I'm going to try defragging and diagnosing the windows swap file. Any other suggestions are welcome.
  • Studpup
    Studpup Windows Beta Beta
    When you renamed your file, were you able to open quicken?
    I'm not a quicken employee, just trying to be a helpful pup!
  • edmondme
    edmondme Member
    I may be running into this same issue. I have been using quicken since 1998. The quicken 2020 starts but the splash screen never comes up. I tried renaming to qw1.exe and same issue. The only thing that I got working is running qw with administrator rights and it works.
  • kentho_98
    kentho_98 Member
    I noticed that I had other programs based on .net that wouldn't start. All would make an entry in Windows Error Logs about out of memory. I tried diagnosing .net framework following all the posts and KB articles I could find the topic. Nothing worked. I ended up reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch. Now I can use quicken again.
This discussion has been closed.