Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Account Bar credit card balance is $2.7 billion off from register

I have an intermittent and recurring issue with Credit Cards, normally Chase, but, also a deactivated (no online updates and no activity since 2007) ancient First Usa card. Every couple of days after an online update, one or both of these accounts, will show a balance of $2,7xx,xxx,xxx in the account bar.

The register shows the correct balance and does not seem to be affected by this obvious error.

I do not use savings goals, and do not have a $2.7 billion dream regardless.....

When I validate the file, I get no errors requiring attention and the problem will go away. Until the next time....

Best Answer

Answers

• FrankxFrankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @Frustrated Long Term Customer,

We get a lot of postings on a variety of different problems/topics here, and many are repeat issues or variations on a theme.  But I can tell you that I have not seen or heard of the issues that you are facing!

Can you give us info on your versions and builds of both Quicken and Windows? Can you also tell us how long this has been happening?  Also just some clarity on how and when the problem starts and the goes away:

a) can you confirm that it only appears after you do an "online update"?
    b) are you updating using One Step Update or are you updating individual accounts?
    c) Also Frustrated Long Term Customer said:
    When I validate the file, I get no errors requiring attention and the problem will go away.
    Is that the only time it goes away - i.e. after validating the file, or does it also go away if you take other action, such as shutting down?

Thanks in advance for the additional information.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R26.23 - Build 27.1.26.23  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Windows 10 Pro
    Ver 1903
    Build 18362.900

Quicken
    V 27.28

Most of the time once fixed it reappears after the one step update. Sometimes it does just happen when launching quicken.

Once it appears, 95% of the time it only gets fixed when I validate, although, I believe it has corrected itself after a one step update, but, I can't absolutely guarantee.

The problem has been happening for about 2 months.

Thanks
    Hi [email protected] Long Term Customer,

A follow-up question and comment:

Are you using syncing to the mobile app?  if so, (especially if you started syncing around the same time this problem occurred) I suggest that you disable that and see if you still have the problem.

Also, there have been reports in the past of wildly incorrect balances being reported in the Account Bar that have been linked to the use of "savings goals", however since the accounts you are having issues with are credit card accounts, I don't think that would be the cause.

Otherwise I would suggest that you contact Quicken Support using this LINK.

Also let us know how this works out.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R26.23 - Build 27.1.26.23  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 1909
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Like" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Not using mobile services at all. No Savings Goals.

I hesitate to call Quicken Support as past experience has taught me they will only tell me that: my file is corrupt, I have too big of a file, "Quicken only supports three years of data", and to blow away my file and re-enter all my data.

My previous new posting here was about a problem caused by dormant/ancient accounts that still had an online update linkage. Quicken's proposed solution was the above. I finally figured out the online dead linkage on my own.

Thinking about the previous issue, it is interesting that once again, a dormant account that has an active (but non-working) online linkage is involved in the problem.

I just wanted to put this out there for others so they don't feel all alone.
  • Update 7-21-20

Today, restarting Quicken the error returned, with a different amount, now I am only $944,892,XXX off from my register (as a curious note, this is divisible by 9).

Yesterday I had run file validate and the problem was fixed and I did not exit Quicken.

Today, I ran one step update and received normal responses with expected balances.

I then exited Quicken and restarted. The $2.7 billion account balance was back. When I reran one step update, my balance was updated to the $944 million above.

When I ran file validate the problem DID NOT correct and I still show a $944 million dollar difference between the account bar and my register.

The old First USA card is no longer reporting weird balances, it is only in the active Chase Card that the error is happening.
    Hi again FLTC,

A couple of questions and observations...

You said - "it is interesting that once again, a dormant account that has an active (but non-working) online linkage is involved in the problem" - and I agree.  Can you tell me more about this - are you saying that these accounts are setup for "Online Services" but that you just do not try to "connect" them anymore?  If so, what type of connections are they setup for, and when you do connect are you using the password vault, or have you used the password vault in the past?  That could possibly be the cause - so I suggest that you deactivate online services for any account that you no longer download.

And exactly what does "an active (but non-working) online linkage" mean?

What type of online services connection are you using for Chase?  Also have you other accounts at Chase other than the credit card, such as bank accounts, brokerage account, mortgage, etc. and the answer is "yes", do you now (or did you in the past) download for those accounts?  Do any of those accounts have "an active (but non-working) online linkage"?

Since you are apparently familiar with the file validation process, have you also tried "super validation"?  That might be you should try.   Of course before you do, make sure that you backup your file first.

Frankx

• I am not aware of super validation, or if I was, I have forgotten how to do it.

All of my accounts are updated via one step and through Direct Connect using password vault. I have multiple credit cards with Chase and all others are behaving.

Since I use the above method, and select "update all" in the menu (an option that used to be the default and was changed to require the user to select "Update All" every time recently by Quicken), any account that has been set up and still has a defined connection attempts to update. My First USA card was transferred to Synchrony Bank and hasn't had a transaction in years and has apparently been closed by the Lender with a zero balance, although the account still pulls up on the website. I have never received an error message displayed during the update. Which is curious in and of itself. Thus my comment about supposedly active, but non-working, linkage.

When I first started trouble shooting this issue I deleted the Synchrony connection. Even so, the account still reflected the $2.7 billion dollar discrepancy between account register and account bar. After multiple file validations it resolved itself and is no longer is in conflict. Leaving only the Chase account that was $2.7 billion until today.

There are no inactive accounts with Chase.
    Hi FLTC,

So, I assume that you believe that having "supposedly active, but non-working, linkage" in your Quicken data file should not cause the problem you are experiencing, and you may be right.  However I would strongly suggest that you remove all connection information for any accounts that are inactive (for each account - go to "Account Details" > open "Online Services" tab > for both Online setup" and Online bill payment" > click "OK" > then follow on-screen instructions, if any).  Once you do this for all the applicable accounts, close out Quicken and restart.

Also, for the "active" Chase account that seems to be giving you problems if you haven't tried this yet, I suggest that you deactivate and reactivate that one account to see if that fixes your issue

On the super validate issue, the next time you validate the file and have "fixed" any errors from that process, follow these instructions to super validate the file  (After you have backed-up the file):

- Click File / File Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text. Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while. 
    - Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

The above steps are taken from this guidance:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7851545/faq-troubleshooting-101-installation-and-data-file-problems-quicken-for-windows

Let me know how this goes.

Frankx

• So I can now duplicate the error, which is back to $2.7 billion, at will.

When I launch Quicken, the Chase account will have an Account Bar balance of $2.7 billion, when I run validate, the Account Bar and Register balance will equalize. When I close Quicken and reopen, the $2.7 billion Account Bar balance will reappear.

Here is the response from Validate:

QDF:
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired Chase Ultimate Preferred account. No action required.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.
  • Frankx,

One Step is manually launched.

I had reviewed all the online connections prior to original posting so there was no ongoing connection issue. I do suspect that questionable online connections (meaning they don't error, but, the underlying account is dormant) can cause corruption issues.

I am now on day 2 after the Super Validation and there is still no discrepancy between the Account Bar and Register. It is interesting to note that Validation consistently reported that the Chase account had been repaired during validation, while the Super Validation did not report such a repair, yet only the Super Validation seems to have resolved the issue.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Craig
    Hi Craig,

I am glad that the super validation has apparently fix the data corruption.  Any, yes - unlike validation it doesn't report repairs (not sure why it doesn't).

Well at least you don't owe the $2.7 billion anymore!!

Have a great weekend.

Frankx

• It's back!!!!!!

This AM when I launched Quicken the two credit card accounts both had account bar balances of $2.7 billion. After running one step update, the account with active connection (Chase) changed to $944 million and the unlinked dormant account stayed at $2.7 billion.

Validate did nothing to change the account bar balances. Launching and relaunching quicken got me to a new Quicken account validation screen that did not remember any of my user info (irritating as I had to go find the info). Interestingly, both accounts now returned to showing $2.7 billion balances.

Running super validate did correct the problem again and returned the following log:

QDF:
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Validating your data.
    Repaired your data file by removing a damaged category. Please check your category list for missing categories by going to Tools>Category List.
    Quicken repaired BP - Joint Card account. No action required.
    Quicken repaired Chase Ultimate Preferred account. No action required.

Seriously, am I going to have to super validate my file every week?

Does not appear to be an online update issue as one account has no connection. Although I did note that some code change was required by Quicken with the Chase connection due to connection issues. How that would corrupt the other account is unknown.
  • Today following one step update, the Chase card account bar balance was $944 million. Following supervalidate the balance reset to the correct balance. The log states the Chase card was repaired.
    Hi @Frustrated Long Term Customer,

I feel your pain and agree that this is not an acceptable situation.  I really think that you should contact Quicken Support and hopefully they can come up with a solution that sticks.. Here's a LINK.  Make sure that you tell them that you've posted here.

Please get back to me and let me know how that goes.

Frankx

• Today, following the one step update the Chase card was $944 million in the account bar. Following supervalidate, the Chase card balance was correct; however, the other card (First USA/BP) card, which is dormant and non-linked, now has an account bar balance of $944 million.

I will contact Quicken support, but, I am afraid that the answer will be "your file is corrupt" and blow it away. This is their stock answer and I have never gotten escalated past that stock answer.

I will post if there is actually usable info obtained from Technical Support.
    Hi Craig,

Given the fact that the error keeps increasing, I agree that the answer is likely data corruption.  Make sure you request that your issue be escalated to a higher level if you feel you are getting the "stock answer".  Hopefully, you'll at least be able to limit the damage to your file and the steps need to recreate it.

Good luck!

Frankx

• Quicken technical support has significantly improved.

This time instead of just telling me to blow away my file they walked me through moving the transactions from the two credit card accounts into new copy accounts.

I have closed quicken and run one step update and the account bar has correctly reported the register balances for both cards.

Let's hope the data corruption does not reappear.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Frankx

• Ok, long story short, I was mistaken about Quicken Technical Support having improved. They still blame the customer's data file as a default answer instead of at least attempting to learn from the problem. If they are going to blame the file, they need to provide better tools that can be used to locate and repair damaged records or at least provide a log of the actual damages and methods to repair the file. All they had to do was ask for a copy of the file.....

The longer version:
    After being walked through how to move transactions for the two credit card accounts to a new account for each, the representative was cut off from my first call and never called back (Karen).

After finishing the moves, all looked good in the two card registers and account bar balances. Then I noticed that my checking account had different register and account bar balance (same as the original problem with credit cards). Then I noticed that when I ran certain reports (Net Worth) no checking account transactions after 4/30/2015 would appear, i.e. the checking account balance would stay the same after April, 2015 despite there being thousands of transactions.

I called Quicken back and received the stock answer: "your file is corrupt, that's what Karen told you when you last called" and there wasn't anything to do but to go back to some back up and hope the problem didn't exist and recreate from there. Without getting real ugly here, Karen never did say my file was corrupt as I was very sensitive to this answer and would have reacted, so the fact that her notes reflect this was her thinking is very indicative of Quicken's attitude towards us inconvenient users.

I asked to be escalated to second tier and after some argument I was given to Gio, a supervisor. We tried multiple steps and then he stated that my file seemed ok, but, maybe just the checking account itself was corrupt (he was actually very surprised at how fast validation occurred on my file). His recommendation: do the same to the checking account as we had to the credit cards - move all the transactions to a new account. He then signed off for me to go to work.

During this process we identified a obviously bad record that could not be deleted or zeroed out. It had a bizarre date when first loaded, then would change to the current date, but, would sort as if it was in April, 2015 (i.e. around the date the net worth report stopped reporting transactions). The balance for this transaction was $8 million although it did not affect the register balance. We also had a similar transaction in the Chase Credit card account before we moved those transactions to the new account. In both cases, our solution meant we did not move this transaction and got rid of it when the account was deleted.

When moving the transactions for the credit cards, I could select all the transactions and do a bulk move. One account had over 2,000 records and the other over 4,000. When doing the checking account, it would allow you to select all the records; however, it wouldn't move the records, instead the interface would just come back and act like it had. I eventually learned that any more than a screen full of transactions (i.e. under 20 and sometime under 4) was the most that could be moved at a time. Since my checking account goes back to 2000, I am sure you can imagine how painful this was (in case you are wondering if this is true, I did call Quicken and was told that I should not try to move more than a month's worth of transactions at a time).

I finally completed this step and have gotten my checking account and credit card balances within believable values. Unfortunately, several of my investment accounts that had, or received, transactions from my checking account now have bizarre balances. The good news is that my reports work with both files.

So after two days of effort, I now have the choice of dealing with the original file that has a $2.7 billion dollar credit card balance in the Account Bar only, or use a file that has completely invalid investment balances/transactions.

Thanks Quicken, you have surpassed my already low expectations. Instead of learning from this experience, you have abdicated your responsibility to us users, and just thrown us to our own devices.
    Craig,

I am sorry that things have not gone well for you throughout this ordeal.  I really can't imagine how frustrated you must be, but I do really appreciate your sharing this experience with the members of this "community".  And I am sorry that I couldn't be more helpful to you.

Take care.

Frankx

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5
    Sad to say, but "damaged data record" means "permanently and irreparably damaged." There is no fix. Your only recourse is to create a new data file. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.