Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Is there a way to customize the home tab? (Q Mac)

ariley
ariley Member
I upgraded this morning & I'm sorry I did it. I do not use the bill pay or budget features so I've always (always being about the past 20 years) had the accounts summary report open so I could see my list of accounts on the sidebar then my net worth graph in the main screen. Now that is not an option & if I want to see that report it opens a new window & I am forced to have a main screen that tells me nothing helpful.

I just want to be able to open a report without opening a new window or at least customize the home tab to better fit my needs.

thank you!

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What are you looking for in a default report that you aren't getting directly in the sidebar? The sidebar shows all your accounts, their values (unless you have the values hidden), subtotals by account group (unless you have the value hidden) and your total Net Worth.

At this time, there is no way to customize the Home tab.

Reports now open in a new window so you can jump between a report and an account register, which was previously harder to do. And if you leave a report window open when you quit Quicken, it will re-open when you re-launch Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ariley
    ariley Member
    edited July 2020
    mainly I like the account summary report because it's the same info in a more aesthetically pleasing format and has a graph. I looked through the reports list and was surprised to see none that had charts or graphs. am I missing something? lists of numbers have their place but I've always liked to see the data in other ways without having to create it from scratch in excel. I have used quicken since 1998 but with every update I feel like they are moving further away from what I've always liked about it. (Removed)
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    One person's "more aesthetically pleasing" is another person's "cluttered and unnecessary"! ;)

When the folks at Intuit made the decision back in 2006 that they would not be able to continue updating the old code base due to the major changes in the Mac operating system, they set out to create a new experience for users in the project to rewrite Quicken for Mac. By the time the first version -- Quicken Essentials -- emerged in 2010, Intuit had bought Mint.com and put its founder in charge of the Quicken division. That drove some of the graphs you see today. Quicken Essentials was widely panned because it was lacking a lot of features compared to Quicken 2007, and one of the frequent complaints was the lack of functionality was replaced by a focus on "candy-colored graphics" similar to Mint.com. Those original reports from Essentials still exist as the "old" reports in Quicken Mac today. But when the developers set out to develop a new reports engine and interface several years ago, they focused on user customization of data but did not include charting/graphing. So all the "new" reports in Quicken today do not have graphs.

I don't know the inside thinking on this in the Quicken development team. It may be something they intend to go back and add at some point in the future, when higher-priority needs have been accomplished. Or they may feel most users don't want the graphics (which can greatly slow performance, as we see on the investment portfolio screens). Or they may feel that users who want charts can now easily export reports to a spreadsheet and use the superior graphics controls in Excel or numbers to create graphs.

But looping back to my earlier post, as long as you leave the Accounts Summary Report open in its own window, it will always be open in the separate window each time you re-launch Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.