quicken bill manager: periodic and automatic bill payments?

I am new to quicken bill manager and I can't figure out how to set up a recurring check pay payment to automatically pay a set amount for a bill every month. I see how I can link a check pay payment to a reminder but if I select the option for it to automatically enter the amount on a certain day of the month, the option to do it via check pay is greyed out. Is this really not possible? Do I really have to notice that I have a reminder and then click to enter it each and every month? And if so, is this being fixed because it seems like a real shortcoming.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Crazy4Happy
    Crazy4Happy Member ✭✭
    I want the answer to this as well. There are so many shortcomings to this new option that truly need to be rectified before forcing us to switch. Seems half of my online billers don't come over as expecting either.
  • hoddemic
    hoddemic Member
    Following. I would also like this answered - seems like basic functionality and the bill pay is mostly what I found made this product worth paying for over using a free software.
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for posting about your concern. Please see the following links, and in particular, the 3rd link.

• Alan20
    Alan20 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, quicken hugh, but I don't believe any of those links address the issue we are asking about. There doesn't seem tp be a way to set up recurring payments using check pay (since when you schedule future recurring payments the check pay option is greyed out). If I am wrong about that, how do you do it? And if not, when do you think this basic function will be added?
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Alan,
    Yes you really should be able to schedule future-dated payments using Check Pay. It's available in Quicken now.
    Please see https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-scheduling-future-dated-payments-windows, and in particular, the section(s)  Instructions for Check Pay > (click the blue text to expand)
    Schedule a Check Pay payment from the Bills Dashboard
    Schedule a Check Pay payment from the Bills Register

If you would like, you are welcome to contact support directly for one-on-one help with this.
  • Alan20
    Alan20 Member ✭✭
    Thanks again, Hugh, and I appreciate the help, but that's not my issue. I am asking about scheduling RECURRING payments via check pay that are AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED in the register (and therefor automatically sent out).

For example, suppose you have a bill for $104 every month and you want to pay it by check pay on the 5th day of each and every month without ever having to enter it.

To make a recurring payment of any kind, I believe you need to link to a reminder. And I realize you can link a check pay payee to a recurring reminder, but if you set up the recurring reminder to AUTOMATICALLY enter the transaction on a given day the option to select check pay gets greyed out.

There appears to be no way to set up a RECURRING, AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED reminder that will pay via check pay.

None of the links you sent deal with this. Please let us know if there's a workaround.

Thanks.
  • Alan20
    Alan20 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, jrfaros. That works (and is the workaround I am currently using), but hopefully quicken will fix things so that we can do this via check pay directly in quicken.
  • racarolin
    racarolin Member
    But it only lets you schedule payments within 45 days, so pretty useless for recurring payments.
  • John Ellis
    John Ellis Member ✭✭✭
    I too would like to know if Quicken intends to restore the functionality for automatic recurring payments (e.g. a monthly mortgage payment or a monthly allowance). What's the point of paying for Quicken if I have to use a workaround?
  • John Ellis
    John Ellis Member ✭✭✭
    ...and the bank holding my mortgage doesn't let me set up recurring transfers from my bank account. This is now becoming a significant inconvenience -- thanks Quicken.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and the bank holding my mortgage doesn't let me set up recurring transfers from my bank account. This is now becoming a significant inconvenience -- thanks Quicken.

Instead of sending your payment from Quicken / Bill Pay authorize the mortgage bank to directly debit your checking account for the monthly payment. That's the way I paid my mortgage until it was paid off recently. Never missed a payment. Setup thru the mortgage account's website was easy and convenient.
  • weilere
    weilere Member
    Why only 45 days into the future????????

I could do it out months with the old process!

Thanks for making things worse
  • John Ellis
    John Ellis Member ✭✭✭
    I've scheduled my property tax payments 5 months into the future, and my home insurance payments 3 months. Thanks again, Quicken.
  • John Ellis
    John Ellis Member ✭✭✭
    UKR Superuser wrote, "Instead of sending your payment from Quicken / Bill Pay authorize the mortgage bank to directly debit your checking account for the monthly payment."

You didn't read what you quoted: "the bank holding my mortgage doesn't let me set up recurring transfers from my bank account."
  • Fingurpokn
    Fingurpokn Member ✭✭
    Quicken Bill Manager is being presented as an "improved system". How can it be an improved system if the ability to schedule recurring payments is removed?
This discussion has been closed.